Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2010, 15:12   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
My feeling is this vehicle is aleady on X2 platform. Reason being the floor mounted spare wheel. I mean can the old chasis accomodate that?
Why not? Much before the Safari, Tata shifted the spare wheel from the tailgate to the floor on the Sumo Victa.
Old 29th November 2010, 17:13   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Why not? Much before the Safari, Tata shifted the spare wheel from the tailgate to the floor on the Sumo Victa.
I am clueless here. But, as far as I know, Sumo and Safari are from 2 different platforms, hence, shifting the wheel down in Sumo Victa doesnt hold any good for shifting in Safari.

Prem.
Old 29th November 2010, 17:34   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
I am clueless here. But, as far as I know, Sumo and Safari are from 2 different platforms, hence, shifting the wheel down in Sumo Victa doesnt hold any good for shifting in Safari.
What directinjection meant was that you don't need to change the platform to change the position of the spare-wheel. Sumo was just taken as an example of a TATA vehicle which had earlier received this treatment.
Old 29th November 2010, 18:12   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

There is definitely sufficient space to move the the spare wheel to the rear bottom. However, this will affect the departure angle when going off-road. I doubht this is the X2 platform.
Old 29th November 2010, 18:30   #125
Senior - BHPian

^^ Fuel tank plays havoc when you move the wheels to the bottom, with the current design.

And I doubt if the dimensions are same, and as expected, they tuck in the wheels (if at the bottom) well enough, the departure angle will be an issue. At the worst case, you will have the wheel providing a "rock glider" effect - how much damage it will cause to the wheel & rim depends on the load and surface you are departing from.
Old 30th November 2010, 23:15   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
^^ Fuel tank plays havoc when you move the wheels to the bottom, with the current design.

And I doubt if the dimensions are same, and as expected, they tuck in the wheels (if at the bottom) well enough, the departure angle will be an issue. At the worst case, you will have the wheel providing a "rock glider" effect - how much damage it will cause to the wheel & rim depends on the load and surface you are departing from.
Fuel tank can be relocated. Sumo has a fuel tank too. rock glider effect won't work on dry/rocky surfaces. You will sit on your spare wheel.
Old 6th December 2010, 16:45   #127
BHPian

Does this mean that the replacement might take really long ??

The interiors of this one in the pics look strikingly different from the existing version. If Tatas are investing in retooling for dies and moulds(bonnet lid and dashboard) rather than cosmetic updates, it means that Safari in its new avatar may last at least two - three years more till a replacement is around So sad that the replacement on the X2 is still a good distance away.....
Old 15th December 2010, 13:50   #128
BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pic on pg34 & pg41

It somehow looks like a computer managed pic
Old 9th January 2011, 19:43   #129
BHPian

Hi guys

Was in Pune for past 15 days. Managed to see merlin in flesh and that too two versions of it (dont ask me how. my job nature gives me the previlege). one is just like the one available in picture and the second one with a different grill looks "Yuck". couldnt take photos though.
Old 9th January 2011, 21:54   #130
Senior - BHPian

@barathvajan, did you get the launch info by any chance?
Were these production models or testing?
Old 9th January 2011, 23:56   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Hi guys

Was in Pune for past 15 days. Managed to see merlin in flesh and that too two versions of it (dont ask me how. my job nature gives me the previlege). one is just like the one available in picture and the second one with a different grill looks "Yuck". couldnt take photos though.
Did you get a chance to look at the interiors?. If so, how is it?. Any launch date info?
Old 10th January 2011, 08:12   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Hi guys

Wonder why two versions? I am not sure if TML is planning to re-position safari at different price points. Is it possible one is a sumo and another is Safari?

It should be a given that we will not get all new safari until it is time for a new scorpio. But then there could be newer versions in the same platform.
Old 10th January 2011, 10:00   #133
Senior - BHPian

The New safari launch would bridge the gap between the old safari and the low end aria.This would help in justifying the price of the aria to a certain extend.Might be a strategy from the house of tata.

ram
Old 10th January 2011, 10:59   #134
BHPian

interior changes are for both models, but i doubt both running side by side. We have got advance intimation of some changes in interior components, possibly a march 1st week launch is expected.
Old 10th January 2011, 11:35   #135
Senior - BHPian

Maybe base gets the yuck grill and the other one would be EX/GX/VX.

Hope they dont do an Aria-ish pricing !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks