Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2012, 17:35   #1411
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90

I think we are being too harsh on TML here before actually analyzing how it drives.

Just because the bodyshell is similar especially from the side does not mean this is the old 'boat-ride' Dicor. They have completely changed the chassis & gearbox to that of the modern Aria and modified the front and back quite a bit. Now, if only once can dream of nice(r) handling, better brakes and less niggles :-)

I think even we 'expert' TBHP-ians are also making the same basic mistake that lakhs of other Indians will do - that this is the Dicor with a facelift! IMHO, it is most certainly NOT!

What else does one need especially if they can price it nicely?
Old 5th January 2012, 17:36   #1412
BHPian

Any News on variants and pricing? The rear looks like wagonr big brother, big mistake of getting spear wheel off, even the Eco sport has one.
Old 5th January 2012, 17:36   #1413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
It's described as "concealed" in the press release, so it should be different from the current one.
Yup,its different.

I also see some change atop the rear view mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Is this ESOF thingy (electronic shift on the fly) something really new at least or does the old Safari 4x4 already have it? Is it only for shifting into 4H or also 4L while on the move?

The company release says that both the platform as well as the gearbox and wheels are from the Aria. So that means 17 inchers. But the PDF says 16 inchers.

Any idea when the price is going to be announced?
ESOF was there before. IIRC, you can engage 4x4 at speeds below 40kmph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Tata Motors seems to have lost the plot completely. After 2+ years all they could do was tuck the stepney under the car and give the ancient, wavy 13-year-old bodyshell a nose that does not belong to it.

It is really sad to see what was essentially a good product (at one time) being flogged to death instead of evolving into a better one. If this is the path TML have chosen for themselves, it is time for a requeim.

jkdas - Thanks for the link on FB, but even the ad looks jaded and flogging the old marketing spin to death.
+1

Was wondering if its competition can the same circus too though.

And if it indeed is a new clothing on old chassis, its ok but if its really a new clothing on new chassis etc, well, maybe they didnt have the ball$ to try out a new design and thought it sells coz people like the decade old design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I think we are being too harsh on TML here before actually analyzing how it drives.

Just because the bodyshell is similar especially from the side does not mean this is the old 'boat-ride' Dicor. They have completely changed the chassis & gearbox to that of the modern Aria and modified the front and back quite a bit. Now, if only once can dream of nice(r) handling, better brakes and less niggles :-)

True! hope it all changed (but didnt mess the ride quality). It surely needed better stopping power. Will wait for a test drive report.

Last edited by jkdas : 5th January 2012 at 17:40.
Old 5th January 2012, 17:37   #1414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Big kudos to Tata if it gets rear disc brakes !
And turning radius decrease is a welcome change and really helpful.

And can someone confirm if its really based on Aria platform? The should have got the 17 inch alloys from Aria!
The Storme brochure says it has drum brakes. Check the link shared below for the brochure
Old 5th January 2012, 17:51   #1415
Senior - BHPian

The clearest photo I could find of the back end close up. Exposed door hinges .... and clearly the same jump seats.

Last edited by ebonho : 5th January 2012 at 17:53.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 17:56   #1416
Senior - BHPian

IMHO the safari still looks classic. i am glad that tata dint try somewhat too funky or radical like XUV which looks like chinese/korean SUVs.

Safari has its own beauty which is unmatched even after decade. the chassis is changed, new platform means technically advanced ride and handling.

pricing is the only awaited key now.
Old 5th January 2012, 18:06   #1417
BHPian

Quote:

I think even we 'expert' TBHP-ians are also making the same basic mistake that lakhs of other Indians will do - that this is the Dicor with a facelift! IMHO, it is most certainly NOT!

It will be better to know more information like, pricing, ride and handling, performance before judging the product.

Wish TML can get their spec sheets to be consistent and release the correct product details though.
Old 5th January 2012, 18:30   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Not sure if it's posted earlier but here's the Storme's spec sheet from the company website:

Link
So it is now clear that Storme is not based on Aria platform. It has the same 2650 mm wheelbase. Now it seems conceivable to believe that Tata SUV based on Aria platform (2850 mm wheelbase) will have 3.0 L CR4 engine with greater power.
Old 5th January 2012, 18:35   #1419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As you said, pricing is the key.

But all that was expected is that TATA does something radical. Just by changing the chassis & gearbox, they have upgraded the ride & drive quality maybe. But what about the design? Isnt it too old? Safari fans may love it but is TATA happy just to cater to that small Safari fan club members? Is it happy with the 800-1000 units a month when its competition like Scorpio & Innova is selling 4500-5000 units a month?

As far as I am concerned, safari's ride was always good. I have driven the Aria & even the Aria suffers from turbo lag issues. So if the Safari gets the Aria's chassis, gearbox & engine, would the changes be that drastic or significant?

Wouldn't it be better if TATA brings the all new Safari with refreshed looks, integrated AC vents, front facing third row, etc. Heck, even the dash looks as if its lifted of a hatchback than a sedan -
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-tatamerlinsuvinteriors2.jpg  

raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 18:37   #1420
BHPian

I personally feel that the interior wood is not as classy as the brushed metal finish seen earlier. Moving to fake wood from a metallic finish doesn't really feel like an "upgrade" or a new variant. Also, it seems that with the angle of the console and the Single DIN system, installing a pop out DVD player/ screen will be challenging.
Old 5th January 2012, 20:01   #1421
BHPian

More clear pictures here Tata Safari Storme - Gallery - Autocar India
deepakchiniwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 20:07   #1422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post

• Aria alloys > 17inch
  • Rear jump seat area is different, new plastics even the modular shapes plastics is new.
  • the lhs controls stick is new and looks proper sealed to steering column
  • the rear overhead ac stuff is concealed; looks better now
  • some new sun glass holder or so above rear view mirror.
  • looks like another airbag in the middle of center console ?( saw in another pic, maybe for VX)
  • cig lighter moved to near gear stick and seems there some space for keeping mobiles etc
  • radio antenna is back!
  • the ECU inside engine bay gets proper rubber cover
  • doors' look better built
  • White one is GX
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 20:14   #1423
Senior - BHPian

Nice Ad of Tata Safari Storm aka Merlin

Last edited by anujmishra : 5th January 2012 at 20:35.
anujmishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 20:34   #1424
MCR
BHPian

I like It!

Honestly IMHO the looks have really improved. The LRish front and rear makes the vehicle look even better. Now waiting for the pricing. Hope Tata donot price it in the XUV territory!
Old 5th January 2012, 21:04   #1425
BHPian

I definitely liked it, and I am sure it is much better than current Safari. Had a second thought as I just bought a old one a week before. But moment I stepped out of office and took my Safari out for a spin I forgot everything
throttleking is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed