Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2011, 11:24   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pic on pg34 & pg41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
O boy! We are asking for kerb weight and not gross weight
Kerb weight = is the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all
necessary operating consumables (e.g. motor oil and coolant), a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo

Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable total weight of a road vehicle or trailer when loaded - i.e including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.

GVW of Tata Safari 4x2 :2650kg
GVW of MM Scorpio 4x2 :2510 kg

Kerb W of MM Scorpio 4x2 1850
Kerb W of Tata Safari 4x2 :2070

Last edited by jkdas : 27th April 2011 at 11:27.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 17:56   #287
BHPian

Did a test drive of Tata Safari on 24th Apr 2011 in Bangalore....and tried to get some news out of the sales rep on tata merlin. It was indeed useful. Tata Merlin is coming with the odd look of headlights at the front...otherwise it looks almost the same. The interiors are better with automatic climate control. It has the same Aria Engine. But it will be priced between Tata Safari Classic and Tata Aria. I personally do not know whether it will be worth waiting for the new safari but I definitely believe that Automatic Climate control with the features of Scorpio are something that should be there in any vehicle which is priced equal to Scorpio / safari. I may get some more information on new safari this weekend...and will keep posted to everyone. As per the sales rep, it should be launched in next three months. I personally believe that W201 from Mahindra & Safari will be launched almost at the same time. Safari and W201 was to be launched in Apr but W201 delayed the launch and it might be a possibility that Tata's also delayed their launch.
Old 27th April 2011, 19:09   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Kerb weight = is the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all
necessary operating consumables (e.g. motor oil and coolant), a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo

Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable total weight of a road vehicle or trailer when loaded - i.e including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.

GVW of Tata Safari 4x2 :2650kg
GVW of MM Scorpio 4x2 :2510 kg

Kerb W of MM Scorpio 4x2 1850
Kerb W of Tata Safari 4x2 :2070
So does that mean Scorpio has better load hauling prowess than Safari?
And can I conclude that for same load say 500kg...the Scorpio would be less stressed than Safari?
Old 29th April 2011, 15:48   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
So are you saying the new safari will have 4x4 available on all 3 variants.
Currently only VX model has 4x4 available.
If its true, then indeed its wonderful news, as after 1 lakh kms, I can replace my EX 4x4 with a LX 4x4 and save money!
I don't like to disappoint anyone, but I may have a not so good news for you. As per the strategy for current Safari, Lx 4x4 is produced only if bulk orders are received. The reason is extreamly low demand for Lx 4x4 versions. If Tata Motors plans similar strategy for the Merlin as well, then you may have to spend more to get the next 4x4 version.
Old 29th April 2011, 16:01   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit_relan View Post
... I may get some more information on new safari this weekend...and will keep posted to everyone ...
I'd be real grateful if you could do that ASAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I don't like to disappoint anyone, but I may have a not so good news for you...
Hey mate, can you check if the same process applies to GX version of the current Safari too (4x4 GX only if bulk orders)?
Old 29th April 2011, 16:35   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Safari VX does have EBD.
EBD is integrated as part of current Safari ABS system (Bosch 8.1 ABS, supports CAN) as well. This enables independent control for each wheel, unlike the earlier Bosch 5.3 ABS (vehicles prior to June 2009, not sure of the exact date) where only front wheels were independent and rear two were on the same circuit. I think that was due to limitation of technology. Bottomline : every Safari that has ABS has EBD as well.

Also, the new system is cheaper as well. Why and how, have to ask my source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
My 4x4 was delivered with Bridgestone HT, and I have seen some 4x2 delivered with Apollo hawkz AT tires.
So I guess its more of a fluke than by design
Neither by fluke nor by design. This is by cost reduction. Hope to see the same on new Safari as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Any idea if an Automatic transmission will be offered by Tata on any of its SUVs?
To be a real contender in the lux stakes, I reckon this is more important than gizmos like rain sensing wipers /TPMS etc.
Any inside contact knowledge will be appreciated.
My source says, none of this is in the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
As you know during Jan every year, they will have a display of all their upcoming models (of course you cannot go very close to get into every details) for theTop people to see.
Every year Mr. Tata spends the Christmas vacations at the Lake House in front of the Tata Motors Pimpri Plant. During this time he reviews every project/ upgrade that is under progress. During this period the vehicles are displayed to him and the senior management. Mr. Tata himself drives the cars and UVs and is known to give honest feedbacks. His love for cars and SUVs is an open secret, but somehow somewhere in his vision, passion and expectations are lost/ forgotten by the people below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Hey mate, can you check if the same process applies to GX version of the current Safari too (4x4 GX only if bulk orders)?
As of now, Gx 4x4 is available for individual orders as well, but the demand seems to be low.
AutoNoob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2011, 17:51   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I don't like to disappoint anyone, but I may have a not so good news for you. As per the strategy for current Safari, Lx 4x4 is produced only if bulk orders are received. The reason is extreamly low demand for Lx 4x4 versions. If Tata Motors plans similar strategy for the Merlin as well, then you may have to spend more to get the next 4x4 version.
As far as I know, there is no LX 4X4 version at all in Safari [at least for about 2 years]. It was only starting EX.
For the past few mons, there were no 4X4 other than VX.

Prem.
Old 30th April 2011, 18:30   #293
Senior - BHPian

Recent sightings of the Merlin courtesy ICB:

ICB Exclusive! Tata Safari Merlin caught testing near Tata Motors factory | Indian Cars & Motorcycles Blog
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2011, 22:34   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
As far as I know, there is no LX 4X4 version at all in Safari [at least for about 2 years]. It was only starting EX.
For the past few mons, there were no 4X4 other than VX.
AFAIK there are 4x4 variants for all the versions except for Lx 4x4, and there was production of every version since 2007 (when the current version was launched), albeit small or big numbers. My source could not give me the exact numbers.

Following is the screenshot from Safari Dicor webpage.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-safari-versions.jpg  

Old 1st May 2011, 01:00   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post

If this is indeed the Merlin, then I like this side profile.

The lines are decent and imo it is better than the current safari.

Last edited by gshanky : 1st May 2011 at 01:01.
Old 1st May 2011, 07:52   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
There are few inconsistent information as compared to first hand information that was gained from TML plant people.

"But, unlike the Safari, the Merlin is based on the Tata Aria platform. The new Safari Merlin rides on the same 16-inch rims of the Aria."

Both are not true. Merlin is NOT on ARIA platform and it hosts 17" alloys [could be the top end variant]
Old 1st May 2011, 10:58   #297
BHPian

Lucky to catch Merlin stopped on highway. Despite strong oppose from driver I could manage two photos of exterior. Saw interior of Merlin. Definitely Leap ahead current gen safari. Interior is slick, does not have huge car feel inside. Lot of Vinyl Textures over dashboard. Few observations like Automatic Climate control was not present and no music system. I could not manage photo of interiors, but had very good look of it despite very strong oppose from driver.

I had to flee the scene because five drivers gathered by the time.

Enjoy the pics.

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-30042011179w.jpg

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-30042011180w.jpg

Last edited by .anshuman : 1st May 2011 at 18:20. Reason: Watermarked the pics. Thanks for sharing.
sushantr5 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st May 2011, 11:09   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Lucky to catch Merlin stopped on highway. Despite strong oppose from driver I could manage two photos of exterior. Saw interior of Merlin. Definitely Leap ahead current gen safari. Interior is slick, does not have huge car feel inside. Lot of Vinyl Textures over dashboard. Few observations like Automatic Climate control was not present and no music system. I could not manage photo of interiors, but had very good look of it despite very strong oppose from driver.

Enjoy the pics.
Very good catch indeed. One of the clearest shots of the head lamps yet. The side and rear look too similar to the current generation Safari for comfort though :(
Old 1st May 2011, 11:13   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post

Enjoy the pics.
Good job bro. It is easy to spot some LR influence. I hope the grill delivers the all important message about the vehicle. The tires could be a size or two bigger .

At this point I am more worried about the price than looks, interiors, panel gaps, niggles and refinement.
Old 1st May 2011, 12:05   #300
BHPian

Good catch sushantr5
Seems that the New TATA SAFARI (Merlin) has "ALL WHEEL DISK BRAKE".
Look at the rear wheel.
Projector head lamp with Fog lamp. Great !!
This car should be worth waiting for.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed