Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2011, 17:31   #466
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pic on pg34 & pg41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
Is this statement based on information in the public domain? If so can you please give a pointer to the source? Or do you have access to inside information?
i dont make statements as im not a politician!

Merlin is launched to buy time till the ALL NEW safari is launched after 2012!

Merlin IS face lift on current Safari.

plan is to launch Merlin and keep selling both of them side by side, and once the ALL NEW safari is launched, the current shape safari will be discontinued, but the Merlin will continue!

some can wait for a 110 in near future!
Old 18th July 2011, 18:48   #467
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
Merlin is launched to buy time till the ALL NEW safari is launched after 2012!
Merlin IS face lift on current Safari.
So maybe fellow BHPians who got info that the new Safari is a Fortuner killer maybe actually talking about the all new Safari on X2 platform.
But why are they taking so much time as the X2 platform is already developed and only has to be adapted to the various body style needs.
And what might ahve happened to Sumo familky.Tata seems to have forgotten the Sumo while M&M is racking money from the Bolero and Xylo families.

[QOUTE]some can wait for a 110 in near future![/quote]
110? What's that?
Anything to do with a certain Land Rover?
Old 18th July 2011, 21:58   #468
BHPian

Quote:
i dont make statements as im not a politician!

Merlin is launched to buy time till the ALL NEW safari is launched after 2012!----->Statement #1

Merlin IS face lift on current Safari.----->Statement #2

plan is to launch Merlin and keep selling both of them side by side, and once the ALL NEW safari is launched, the current shape safari will be discontinued, but the Merlin will continue!----->Statement #3
some can wait for a 110 in near future!-----> what in the name of god is this? advice?
When you make assertions it will be most helpful if you will kindly base them on some fact, and if they are based on a fact kindly point us to the source. It will help us get a view as clear as the one you have. I say this most respectfully and not with the intent to slight you in any manner.
RS_DEL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 22:17   #469
BHPian

Quote:
Merlin is just a face lift of the current safari, its not based on Aria platform.

the ALL NEW safari has been delayed and will be a completely new platform, might be on Aria!
I do remember hearing about this a while ago and since nobody mentioned this subsequently and hence it is out of our collective memory.

In fact if merlin is "Safari new look" with upgraded mechanicals and interiors I would say it is not a bad proposition. But I would be worried about the differentiation between Safari and Merlin since both are going to co-exist.

I hope the consumer would be able to easily identify and appreciate the upgrades of merlin for the required price increase. This is a challenge for TATA and I hope they have taken care of this.
Old 18th July 2011, 22:31   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
So maybe fellow BHPians who got info that the new Safari is a Fortuner killer maybe actually talking about the all new Safari on X2 platform.

But why are they taking so much time as the X2 platform is already developed and only has to be adapted to the various body style needs.
And what might ahve happened to Sumo familky.Tata seems to have forgotten the Sumo while M&M is racking money from the Bolero and Xylo families.

[QOUTE]some can wait for a 110 in near future!
110? What's that?
Anything to do with a certain Land Rover?[/quote]

yeah, we might see "made in India" Defender 110.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

[QOUTE]some can wait for a 110 in near future!
110? What's that?
Anything to do with a certain Land Rover?[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
@MODS: I think that this thread has taken a U-Turn, going nowhere. We can instead have named it a "Merlin Speculation thread". I am sick of clicking again and again on this thread link whenever this gets updated and all I find are directionless talks, posts. Please do the needed.

@all: My post is not against anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
When you make assertions it will be most helpful if you will kindly base them on some fact, and if they are based on a fact kindly point us to the source. It will help us get a view as clear as the one you have. I say this most respectfully and not with the intent to slight you in any manner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
I do remember hearing about this a while ago and since nobody mentioned this subsequently and hence it is out of our collective memory.

In fact if merlin is "Safari new look" with upgraded mechanicals and interiors I would say it is not a bad proposition. But I would be worried about the differentiation between Safari and Merlin since both are going to co-exist.

I hope the consumer would be able to easily identify and appreciate the upgrades of merlin for the required price increase. This is a challenge for TATA and I hope they have taken care of this.
i repeat, The Merlin is "refreshed"/ "face lift" of current safari, its NOT an ALL NEW Safari based on Aria platform.

Merlin has come in because of "unexpected" delays in bringing in the ALL NEW Safari....its been delayed until after 2012.

lets not talk about pointing towards a "source".

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by n_aditya : 19th July 2011 at 15:24. Reason: posts merged
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 23:13   #471
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine found this pic of the Merlin from another website.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post edited. Please include the source when posting images/content from other sites.

Last edited by n_aditya : 19th July 2011 at 15:23.
theragingbull is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 23:32   #472
BHPian

Side profile looks 100 % the new TATA SAFARI(Merlin).
Roof rail has similarity of safari.
Front door and middle door also look same as safari.
Old 19th July 2011, 00:00   #473
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Looks Awesome..

Twin exhaust
Folding rear foot pedal
The tail lights should easily fit the older Safari's

And it ends the speculation of front facing 3rd row seating, the rear seating looks unchanged as per that pic, This is not what we were waiting for.

Anyways. Not disappointing at all, kudos to TATA's for continuing the Safari Legacy and not spoiling it. But hey.. ! Lets wait for some front profile pics,.

The pics are from Autoadrenalin - Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 19th July 2011 at 00:06.
Old 19th July 2011, 00:26   #474
Senior - BHPian

Loving it.....Looks all chunky and beefed up!!

The flared wheel arches look great. Really well integrated twin exhausts and folding rear step, good detailing Tata. The rear end looks neat and all though without the spare wheel it doesn't look bread box flat. It is still the Safari but somehow looks different.

Did not like the kink in the side cladding for the fuel filler cap, while the pull type grab handles are great the silver coloring is over the top. Small things nevertheless.

Cant wait to see the whole thing, damn he did not take pictures of the front end!!
Old 19th July 2011, 00:56   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

The rear should be completed with the badges. Looks nice,chunky feel.
Like the new tail lights and integrated exhaust, but the bumper/cladding could be better designed so as to gel with the tail lights 3D lines.

Quote:
yeah, we might see "made in India" Defender 110.
Along with the new pic of Safari Merlin,this also is a news worthy of a scoop.

Last edited by Zappo : 19th July 2011 at 01:16.
Old 19th July 2011, 03:32   #476
BHPian

The back does look good. IMO the exhausts look better than ARIA.

one small request though - give it a bigger sized wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Did not like the kink in the side cladding for the fuel filler cap, while the pull type grab handles are great the silver coloring is over the top. Small things nevertheless.
My guess is that the side cladding will see a change. I don't think the finished product will have a gap like that. But I may be wrong, the shape of the cladding seems well cut to go around the lid. That would be a bummer.

Last edited by gshanky : 19th July 2011 at 03:34.
Old 19th July 2011, 06:50   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Awesome work theragingbull. Finally, you have ended the speculations that have been going on for more than a year.

Coming to the Safari Merlin, it looks all set to carry on the iconic legacy that the Safari has in India. The twin exhausts, the new-look taillamps and overall rear end looks really beefy. But, maybe because of the angle of the pic, it looks a little like Sumo Grande in that rear three-quarter view. But with badges and a better angle, this car would definitely be a looker. We are waiting, Tata!
Old 19th July 2011, 08:00   #478
sarcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Looks Awesome..

The pics are from Autoadrenalin - Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
The link seems to have been taken down.
I know this thread will see some great buzz in the next few days/weeks. Let me lay down the anti-camp (with due respect to the pro-camp)

1. Disastrous. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And TML seems to have done it again.
2. The door grab handles, and silver at that ? Looks like scooped out of a milk can
3. The cladding plastic quality is not good and the fuel lid cut off looks like a high-school project.
4. Rear door foot-step will jut out like that ? That's a clear scratch hazard. Although there seems to be a hinge, where you can fold it back in. However, unless its springed, who will put the step back in AFTER having climbed up ? The current recess is much more sophisticated.
4. The dual tone-cladding at rear-bumper spoils it for me.
5. The removal of the stepney does improve the rear FOV. (ok 1 point conceded)
6. Ummmm, what's that chrome strip doing at the back ? I thought this was meant to be a true SUV. Bummer.

Caveat: My comments be jealousy-biased since I bought the 'true' Safari two days back ;-). All I can say is Welcome bro.
  (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 08:11   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the Pics. This puts to rest a lot of doubts. And the Merlin seems to be heading the right way.

have few points highlighted in the pic.

1) what is this part and why is it protruding out?
2) I hate these handle's they look like some almari handles, hope these are not the final products.
3) This seems to be way to big, they should give it a cut or separate to break the monotony.
4) This is definitely a SAFARI & the must have been taken in a Tata showroom or Manufacturing plant. Which mean that finally Merlin is ready to be launched. and should hit the showrooms by November.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-merlin-1.jpg  

rajchetan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 08:31   #480
Senior - BHPian

well the photo says it all...

its a Safari, refreshed and facelifted (rear also) and named Merlin!

...and some people thought i was just making statements!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed