Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2011, 11:58   #496
sarcar

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pic on pg34 & pg41

now the question becomes, if this just a "major" face-lift ? (the 'lift' part is doubtable though) or are there changes inside the hood, too ? Recapping things, the major changes that were in the buzz were:
(a) Re-tuned engined to deliver 150 PS
(b) New G 76 MK II gear box
(c) Dual mazz flywheel to decrease engine vibration ?

Old 19th July 2011, 12:13   #497
Senior - BHPian

I feel the rear looks much cleaner IMO & the spare going under the body would take care of the rear door rattle to a great extent.

Regarding the top hinged rear door, I feel (after careful observation of the Merlin image) there is some thing cylindrical & similar in shape to that of the hinges in the right side protruding next to the tail light. There could be something similar to hinges in the top, which aren't visible due to bad photography by the scoopster.

Further, the back-step to climb in to vehicle appears fold-able to me.

Overall the vehicle appears modern & refreshed, till the time a new & complete re-designed/ engineered model takes over from the First Modern Indian SUV.

Of course I was one of those expecting front facing third row seating, lesser plastic panelling & probably bigger footwear than what is shown in image (again bad photowork by the scoopster).
Old 19th July 2011, 12:14   #498
MAS
Senior - BHPian

@theragingbull - Good picture your friend found and thank you for posting it here.

The Merlin looks better than the current Safari atleast in the picture posted. But when i saw the picture first, it also looked like a modified Sumo Grande. The design seems to be still confused. The "curvy" sides have been retained, while the back has become boxy. All depends on the how the front looks and how the interiors have been put together. If TATA has got these two right plus ironed out the electrical niggles of the old Safari, i am sure they have a winner in hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
3) This seems to be way to big, they should give it a cut or separate to break the monotony.
You are right. Looks like the designed overlooked this part of the car. I guess once it is painted, it would look better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcar View Post
2. The door grab handles, and silver at that ? Looks like scooped out of a milk can
4. Rear door foot-step will jut out like that ? That's a clear scratch hazard. Although there seems to be a hinge, where you can fold it back in. However, unless its springed, who will put the step back in AFTER having climbed up ? The current recess is much more sophisticated.

Quote:
3. The cladding plastic quality is not good and the fuel lid cut off looks like a high-school project.
With due respect to the designers, even the expensive Ford Endeavour has this fuel lid cutting into the side cladding.
Old 19th July 2011, 12:27   #499
Senior - BHPian

After seeing the picture i felt disappointed with the looks and would any day take the old Safari instead of the Merlin, Tata you have spoilt the looks of the King and made him look somewhat similar to other vehicle in the market.(Xylo/Tavera)
Old 19th July 2011, 12:37   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
now the question becomes, if this just a "major" face-lift ? (the 'lift' part is doubtable though) or are there changes inside the hood, too ? Recapping things, the major changes that were in the buzz were:
I cannot give out the specifics just yet, but all I will say is that the Merlin will be "significantly" better to drive than the current safari- smoother engine, more precise gear changes, better braking, lesser body roll, and better pick up......now figure out things for your self
Old 19th July 2011, 12:43   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post
well the photo says it all...

its a Safari, refreshed and facelifted (rear also) and named Merlin!

...and some people thought i was just making statements!
You are so sensitive my friend!!!

Did I hurt your feelings by referring to your unsubstantiated statements? If so my very humble apologies!

The feeling of vindication must be quite a relief, no?

In any public discussion it is best to state whether we are drawing an inference based on our experience, observation or we are making a categorical statement based on facts. If you are for some reason unable to state the source of the facts or maybe the information has been disclosed to you off the record and you are being kind enough to share it with fellow members, say so. Creating an aura of mystery , how does it help in furthering debate? If I am not mistaken this forum exists for exchange of views, information and debate. If I am wrong I welcome being corrected.

And BTW an substantiated picture is not the confirmation of your public disclosure of TML's strategy - which again is privileged information.

As always this is my humble submission in the best interest of our(the forum membership) interaction and not intended to slight anyone.
Old 19th July 2011, 13:32   #502
BHPian

I always like the rare mounted spare wheel look of safari... Any ways the rare look is much improved and i hope they retained the king of road look of safari in other angles... and i think those silver handle is blunder and i feel there will be options to not choose one..so no worries i guess.. waiting for Team BHP Review
Old 19th July 2011, 13:39   #503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Where is the stepney cover wheel on the rear hatch door?
Man, that's a surprising question !! Almost everyone knew from the beginning of this thread that the spare wheel is gonna be taken off the hatch and it received a lot of bashing too. In fact we were all tired bashing that move.

Quote:
Never knew of any of these developments except Dual Mass Fly wheel till I read the below post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I cannot give out the specifics just yet, but all I will say is that the Merlin will be "significantly" better to drive than the current safari- smoother engine, more precise gear changes, better braking, lesser body roll, and better pick up......now figure out things for your self
Gosh, looks like this is quite MAJOR face-lift!! And looks like you have quite some STABLE news with yourself ! You even pointed out that the pic posted is an LX version. Its very difficult to know that some people have solid info but they cant share it publicly. Isn't it the same feeling that you guys also have, even after knowing the info, you cant share it publicly ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
In any public discussion it is best to state whether we are drawing an inference based on our experience, observation or we are making a categorical statement based on facts.
As you said there are couple of people who have proper info with them, but cant really make it public owing to certain integrity constraints. Lets just get the info than asking for references. We can identify these guys from those "assertive" comments they make.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th July 2011 at 13:54.
Old 19th July 2011, 13:44   #504
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Man, that's a surprising question !! Almost everyone knew from the beginning of this thread that the spare wheel is gonna be taken off the hatch and it received a lot of bashing too. In fact we were all tired bashing that move.
Yeah i knew earlier it was being removed by going through comments. I was sarcastically questioning their move, not literally a question. Let's say I decided to join in the bashing too My apologies if the comment appeared like I hadn't read through the thread.

Last edited by KarthikK : 19th July 2011 at 13:50.
Old 19th July 2011, 14:25   #505
sarcar

Quote:
Now you are making my tummy churn. I bought a Safari last weekend. (Well knowing quite well about the Merlin, but then I could hold back no longer). Going by this picture of this Tavera in disguise , I was starting to feel that maybe I didn't miss much, but now you are rekindling my darkest fears once again.

Precise gear changes for the Safari would be a good thing IMHO ;-) but to play the devil's advocate that would rob you the of the sheer joy of being a "truck" wallah.

Better pickup -- hmm now that would be interesting. The beast today is not that bad , very low diesel lag (try driving a Chevy Cruze ) and anything faster would really need some sharp brakes in city traffic.

Old 19th July 2011, 14:29   #506
Senior - BHPian

Sarcar, i wouldnt worry too much if I were you. For one, teh Merlin is expected to be at least a lakh more expensive. and going by your avtaar pic, you seem to have a GX which has pretty good brakes with the ABS in it and is a very well specced version.

You are correct that the performance of thesafari is pretty good as it is. Yes, the gears should be a bit better in the merlin, but as long as you are happy with the looks of your beast, i wouldnt fret too much......just go out and enjoy it for years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Gosh, looks like this is quite MAJOR face-lift!! And looks like you have quite some STABLE news with yourself ! You even pointed out that the pic posted is an LX version. Its very difficult to know that some people have solid info but they cant share it publicly. Isn't it the same feeling that you guys also have, even after knowing the info, you cant share it publicly ??

Well, certain things are shared in confidence, and i cannot breach that confidence. That is why I am posting only generic stuff on the forum, and my source has approved me to do that......I happen to know a fair amount about the merlin but my lips are sealed. the only thing i will say is that I am so excited about this beast coming out that I am actually contemplating buying one, if priced correctly......Just hope the marketing department of TML doesnt screw up with the pricing (anything upto 1L above the current Safari should be acceptable)

Last edited by Eddy : 19th July 2011 at 22:11. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 19th July 2011, 14:35   #507
Senior - BHPian

Tata engineers seen to have got drunk on a visit to the JLR factory and this is the result of a hangover. Trying to merge some square sections into the curvy old design of the Safari. The rear and the plastic cladding looks like 'inspiration' from the Rangerover. The squarish tail lights dont seem to merge well with the curvy D pillar.
Ant those tires certainly look puny especially for the heavy ended rear look with those butch fat mudguards.
I hope they have managed to reduce some panel gaps and shut lines.
This looks like Safari soup.
Old 19th July 2011, 14:45   #508
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Loved the look,
The rear dual exhaust treatment is neat, so are the rear lights, we have already seen the front lights are good.
The rear looks good even without the spare wheel.
The third row is side seating,
The cladding looks better quality.
This seems to be a mid spec model as the tyres have alloys but the cladding is not body coloured as they would be in the top spec versions.
It overall looks to be a fine job of retaining the original genes of the safari in a new better quality product.
Expecting the same in the interiors and hope the top model has 17" rims.
AWD with 4X4 low like in the fortuner would be great to have.
Old 19th July 2011, 14:54   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Sarcar, i wouldnt worry too much if I were you. For one, teh Merlin is expected to be at least a lakh more expensive. and going by your avtaar pic,s you are happy with the looks of your beast, i wouldnt fret too much......just go out and enjoy it for years to come.
What do you anticipate on the pricing front?

TML offered a good product in Aria (going by the satisfaction levels of fellow members who have purchased the vehicle) and in their estimation priced it accordingly. However the sales volume is not so high. Maybe they anticipated this kind of a lukewarmish response for the 4X4 variants and are looking for volume in the 2WD variant, but to the lay observer it looks like sluggish sales because of optimistic pricing. Do you think TML will price the new Safari optimistically or play safe on pricing?
Old 19th July 2011, 15:09   #510
BHPian

Tata Merlin spotted at a delaership

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-123.jpg

EDIT: Already posted and discussed.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 19th July 2011 at 15:14.
Irish is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed