Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2011, 00:12   #601
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pic on pg34 & pg41

@ gshanky,

If you actually go through this thread and read the bits of insider info, the points you raised are the actual upgrades on the Merlin. As far as Scorpio is concerned the Safari is a better SUV anyday, unless you want a 3 row seating arrangement to carry more passengers.

I agree that the present Safari has been in the game for quite some time now, but it is still the most contemporary Indian SUV in the market even today. If Tata gets the Merlin spot on from day one it can be a cost competitive option to the W201 let alone the Scorpio.
shortbread is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2011, 01:26   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
@ gshanky,

If you actually go through this thread and read the bits of insider info, the points you raised are the actual upgrades on the Merlin. As far as Scorpio is concerned the Safari is a better SUV anyday, unless you want a 3 row seating arrangement to carry more passengers.

I agree that the present Safari has been in the game for quite some time now, but it is still the most contemporary Indian SUV in the market even today. If Tata gets the Merlin spot on from day one it can be a cost competitive option to the W201 let alone the Scorpio.
I was just re-iterating a few features that merlin may have to justify the testing time and it is not exactly a skin deep refresh.

The reference to scorpio was just about sales nos.
Old 14th August 2011, 10:33   #603
Distinguished - BHPian

@rajchetan, even if the internals of the door had been changed, even if the door sheet metal had been changed & made lighter - tinkering can still be done to make it look like the current Safari. Such camouflage just attracts attention.
Old 15th August 2011, 10:38   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
Overall I am glad TML is trying to keep it honest and is telling everyone that this is just a refresh. However it seems like they are trying to do a complete makeover and more testing the better. Hopefully we'll have merlin for diwali. Can't wait for the test drive when I'll be home.
Correct, they are keeping us honest. And hope TML give this beast the best quality it deserves and Please no more Niggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
It is the best SUV in market today and has been the best since a decade PERIOD . Hope they get it spot on in terms of ZERO NIGGLES. and i am sure they will do better sales than they have done. It wont be able to take on the Scorpio for Sure though as they are in different segments & Target different customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@rajchetan, even if the internals of the door had been changed, even if the door sheet metal had been changed & made lighter - tinkering can still be done to make it look like the current Safari. Such camouflage just attracts attention.
Yes, camouflage attracts attention and increases curiosity in the viewers. Hence more foot falls or calls to TML Dealers. But also feel they testing the full product, will give them better understanding of the whole package.

Hoping TML get its acts RIGHT this time around, and Make the Beast the Best it ever WAS. Period.
Old 20th August 2011, 14:59   #605
Senior - BHPian

Everything's okay from this angle. But nothing special. But those silver door handles look downright tacky, like some lame after-market attachment. Also those large side claddings look very dull and bland. Also, what's the point of that strange projection above the 3rd window???

Overall, as was becoming clear, this is still only a major facelift external design wise at least. Hopefully the interiors have moved quite a bit ahead.

OT: I am almost sure that the above pic is from inside the Tata Motors Pune facility.
Old 20th August 2011, 15:12   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
Fantastic set of pics finally . This looks huge and definitely 17 inch wheels . Guess the launch might be round the corner maybe Diwali , hopefully . The dual exhausts look awesome .
My pleasure Fortuner71. It was a shear luck I spotted it and was able to follow. Yes, the dual exhausts give a great appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
@Maverick79 : Really good pictures indeed

Couple of things that hits straight based on the images
- The hinge towards the right side in the back/rear , confirms it side opening mechanism(and not a top up hydraulic system). Correct me if otherwise.
- The extra protruding plastic(next to third closed glass in the rear) is still puzzling me. Is it a visor like styling?
Thank you. Managed the whole sooting with a BB 2MP mobile. It's now gone for repair as the display is only blank no matter what you do.

If found again, I would definately explore this extra protruding plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
^^ Wheels definitely look bigger, possibly 17", but it also looks like more metal and less rubber if this is going to be a factory fitted set.
Overall, looks good and spare wheel at the rear door is not missed much.

Thanks for very nice set of pics.

Prem.
Welcome Prem. Yeah, they seem to be 17 inchers for me too. This being a test vehicle, every thing now is factory fitted.

Quote:
Great work!!

I am glad to see that the heavy cladding is missing (I hope it is not hidden in camo). Were you able to also see the front fascia?
Thank you. I tried desparetly, to capture the camoflagued front but couldn't as he was just trying to escape from me and my mobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
It seems you missed your way to office and started the photoshoot instead? And what was the excuse in front of the boss? share.

Anyways, wonderful photographs. Waiting for this to be released in all over India as soon as possible.

Cheers!
Irish
Luckily, I swiped just in time. Generally I reach 7 to 10 mins early. Also, the chasing was on my route it self. The detour to overtake it ,was only a Km off the chase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
These pics solve the mystery of the tail gate - which was a topic of debate for the last few pages. 2 hinges clearly visible on the right side, so it will open just like the current one's - sideways.

I think its just the camo that 'seems' to be hiding the cladding.
Yes. The tail gate is opened sideways. Don't know what would be productionised anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
@ maverick79 - Excellent pics

The Merlin looks good and massive. IMO without the wheel on the rear door, the Merlin actually looks neat (not bulky). The dual exhaust looks neat and sporty. The plastic protrusion over the third glass beats me too.

Looks like you were literally shadowing the Merlin.
Oh man! It was a tough fight. That guy just didn't give me chance to overtake him completely to take a front shoot. Think he anticipated my curiosity about the front look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
If there is no change in the door mounting/hinge points, then TML could have easily fitted in a door from the old Safari & made it better camouflaged. .. remove the spare wheel to mimic the new door.
Don't know the intentions of TML.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
Lovely set of pic friend.. Thanks.. Seems you were able to take lot more pics, Did you get to see the front? If yes please share the pics, or let us know ur observations.

Thanks Again...

1) That was already clear, that its a side hinged door. now its totally clear.
2) That's very confusing i must admit... The curiosity continuous.

They would want to test the new door settings and the working, to ensure the age old problem with the rare door sound's is solved completely. Hence test the actual parts as much as possible.

Now a question to all.
Q) The safari has been in the market and been tested for more than a decade. And has gone through a lot of changes and refreshes.
Now Dose it actually require so much of Practical testing?
What's Cooking TATA?
Let TATA speak on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
from the first picture get to see some part of the passenger side dashboard.Looks to be finished in black/dark grey. Also a square patch shows passenger side Airbag.
Seems so.

Quote:
Though Safari has been around for a long time, it always had one or other problem or niggles. I would really appreciate if TML wants to do a complete makeover so that Merlin can sell well until they bring the successor to Safari in 2-3 years timeframe.

imo here are the challenges for Merlin

1) Give real competition to Scorpio in overall sales
2) A good looking/refined Merlin will also put pressure on Innova. This way TML will have competition on both sides of Innova. Seems like a good strategy to me
3) Integrate ARIA version of Engine and drivetrain
4) Some modification to chassis / suspension to reduce body roll
5) Revamp the dash to make Merlin look contemporary
6) anything else?

Overall I am glad TML is trying to keep it honest and is telling everyone that this is just a refresh. However it seems like they are trying to do a complete makeover and more testing the better. Hopefully we'll have merlin for diwali. Can't wait for the test drive when I'll be home.
Wish TATA good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Nice Scoop .anshuman.
You showed the back fo Merlin, open to all, answering all the queries regarding its rear.
By the way, where is this location, you spotted it?
Old 20th August 2011, 15:15   #607
BHPian

I don't see any uncovered picture in Pg 41
Old 20th August 2011, 15:39   #608
Zed
BHPian

Clean design. Nice pipes! Thanks for the link anshuman!
The critic in me would like to state that better paint quality, wheels and a different set of doorhandles will make a world of difference - for the better. The Safari has always been a well proportioned car in terms of its overall stance and design. Lets hope this version is lighter. The spare wheel placement will improve handling with the lowered CG. The trump card could be a competitive price tag - one of its pitfalls in the past.
Old 20th August 2011, 16:39   #609
Team-BHP Support

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pic on pg34 & pg40

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
I don't see any uncovered picture in Pg 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Clean design. Nice pipes! Thanks for the link anshuman
Guys please refer to pg.34 and pg. 40 for the latest spy pics of the Merlin.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2435807

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2466102
Old 20th August 2011, 16:47   #610
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90

Is it only me or somebody else also feels that the Merlin looks ugly & the current safari looks wayyyyy better?
Old 20th August 2011, 23:28   #611
BHPian

wouldn't merlin eat into aria sales (esp 4X2 variant) ??
imo safari being a much bigger brand would chew out a large chunk
Old 21st August 2011, 00:02   #612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Is it only me or somebody else also feels that the Merlin looks ugly & the current safari looks wayyyyy better?
At the moment, it does look like the Safari is a better looker than the Merlin. That also has to do with the approach they have used - of tweaking the current design, and not designing a fresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaks15 View Post
It's two different market segments. So it should not be a problem. A person who will buy a SUV will not consider the Aria & vice-versa.
Old 21st August 2011, 01:37   #613
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaks15 View Post
For Merlin to eat into Aria Sales, Aria would have to sell first. Given the number of Arias on our roads, there is not much food for the Merlin.
Old 21st August 2011, 04:23   #614
Senior - BHPian

Strange that with all the spy pics available on the net, none of the auto magazines have come up with credible artists' impressions of the Merlin so far!!
Old 21st August 2011, 08:06   #615
Distinguished - BHPian

@Shortbread, artist's impressions are for when we dont have spy pics. Some of the pics are quite clear - for both front & back where the changes are.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks