Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2011, 08:41   #616
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
@Maverick79 : Really good pictures indeed

- The extra protruding plastic(next to third closed glass in the rear) is still puzzling me. Is it a visor like styling?
The third glass also has a quarter glass?? whats wrong with TML . these guys never learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Is it only me or somebody else also feels that the Merlin looks ugly & the current safari looks wayyyyy better?
Probably because of the comouflage
Old 21st August 2011, 08:58   #617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
The third glass also has a quarter glass?? whats wrong with TML
Why, what's wrong with the quarter glass ? The quarter glass becomes a necessity because of the shape of the door. The the third glass is part & parcel of a SUV design.

This set up has always been there on the Safari. So why is it becoming a point of contention now ?

If you think the quarter glass is bad, then what do you say about cars where the rear windows go down only 60% ?

Last edited by condor : 21st August 2011 at 09:00.
Old 21st August 2011, 10:25   #618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Is it only me or somebody else also feels that the Merlin looks ugly & the current safari looks wayyyyy better?
+1 to that. The current Safari looks way better than the Merlin that we've seen. The oversized cladding, the missing spare wheel on the tailgate, the missing classy styling of the front takes away a lot of character from the Safari. Years of idolisation of this vehicle has proved that the design was always loved by all.

All that TML should have done is to work on the little niggles/rattles, the steering response/handling, gear shift and the turning radius....and provide a 4x4 version in the LX version to boost sales. Changing the design was the least of the requirements IMHO.

There are enough "worshippers" out there who will continue to buy this wonderful SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
The third glass also has a quarter glass?? whats wrong with TML . these guys never learn
The current Safari also has a quarter glass on the second glass and so does the Merlin. I was not able to spot a quarter glass on the third glass though.

Last edited by Kairalee : 21st August 2011 at 10:28. Reason: typo
Old 21st August 2011, 12:22   #619
BHPian

Today I spotted Merlin on Pune Bengluru highway. Merlin has rear disk brakes!!! 200% confirmed,
sushantr5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 16:36   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
For Merlin to eat into Aria Sales, Aria would have to sell first. Given the number of Arias on our roads, there is not much food for the Merlin.
My point exactly, why would you launch competition to already slow response generating Aria. You already have a new product in hand which is anyway not generating a buzz in the market, why put such a big brand as a roadblock to the Aria sales.
I guess any customer entering tata showroom in a budget of 10-13 lakhs would have a glimpse of both and will go for merlin cos its SAFARI
Old 21st August 2011, 16:55   #621
Zed
BHPian

@ Kaks 15 : Perhaps Tata is banking on the fact that the Indian Motoring public will appreciate the differences between a SUV and a crossover & that there are distinct customer groups for these two types of vehicles. Its possible, however, that a large number of buyers would not focus on the technicalities associated with these two vehicle types but base their decision between the two on the basis of space, cost, styling & so on. Perhaps TML will have to have better market the comfort associated with a crossover when driven in an urban jungle.
Old 21st August 2011, 17:35   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaks15 View Post
My point exactly, why would you launch competition to already slow response generating Aria. You already have a new product in hand which is anyway not generating a buzz in the market, why put such a big brand as a roadblock to the Aria sales.
I guess any customer entering tata showroom in a budget of 10-13 lakhs would have a glimpse of both and will go for merlin cos its SAFARI
You have sort of contradicted your own point.

Your hypothetical price range for the Safari/Merlin is 10-13 lakh. Even the base 4x2 Pure version of the Aria will cost 12.5 lakhs. How is that competition between the two vehicles.

The Aria remains, price wise, one level higher than the Safari/Merlin. The Safari's main competitor will be the Scorpio and the Innova and not the Aria.

Take a look at the present prices of the Safari itself. A Safari VX 4x4 is only as costly as an Aria 4x2 Pleasure, which is the 2nd cheapest variant of the Aria.

Also, I think most Aria sales happen not in its base models, but in its top models ie the Pride and Prestige variants, which are priced more than 15 lakhs on the road.

Overall, I hope prices of the Safari drop by around 50,000 ex-showroom. This would help it compete better with the Scorpio, its main rival.
Old 21st August 2011, 17:54   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
You have sort of contradicted your own point.

Your hypothetical price range for the Safari/Merlin is 10-13 lakh. Even the base 4x2 Pure version of the Aria will cost 12.5 lakhs. How is that competition between the two vehicles.

The Aria remains, price wise, one level higher than the Safari/Merlin. The Safari's main competitor will be the Scorpio and the Innova and not the Aria.

Take a look at the present prices of the Safari itself. A Safari VX 4x4 is only as costly as an Aria 4x2 Pleasure, which is the 2nd cheapest variant of the Aria.

Also, I think most Aria sales happen not in its base models, but in its top models ie the Pride and Prestige variants, which are priced more than 15 lakhs on the road.

Overall, I hope prices of the Safari drop by around 50,000 ex-showroom. This would help it compete better with the Scorpio, its main rival.
I saw an Aria display last week and met a very nice gentleman from tata motors there who said the purpose of launch of pure variant was to lower the entry cost of aria and make it available to people looking for a product in the range of 13 lakhs and sales have picked up for them after launch of pure variant.

All I was trying to say is, for me if I have 13 lakhs in my pocket and I go to tata motors showroom looking for something on uv side (cuv suv) , i would have a look at aria and new safari (merlin) and would settle for merlin cos i am getting a top end (or middle) variant of the same and a trusted brand name. Maybe I am wrong and most people do not work this way
Old 21st August 2011, 19:01   #624
Senior - BHPian

He said, sales picked up, but did he say, only the Pure variant was selling, as it is the only Aria which you can get below 14lakhs on the road. I doubt it. Sales would picked up, but I think it must still be more towards the higher end versions rather than the Pure variant.
Old 21st August 2011, 21:05   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
The Safari's main competitor will be the Scorpio and the Innova and not the Aria.
And there is a new entrant by the name Force One SUV at 10.65 lac ex-showroom!
Old 21st August 2011, 21:58   #626
Senior - BHPian

Force one is still a long way from being a serious threat to any of the Indian SUVs. People wont simply pump 11 lacs of their money into an unproven, unheard brand or product, also there's the big question mark of a poor distribution and sales network.

I think it will be a battle between the Merlin and the W201, the revamped old warhorse vs the contemporary new star!!
Old 21st August 2011, 22:32   #627
BHPian

@julupani maybe you are right, still m not fully convinced. Anyways lets wait for analysis of aria numbers after merlin is launched
Old 21st August 2011, 23:22   #628
Senior - BHPian

the curious case of UFO on the Tata Merlin.

(Unidentified Fixed Object)

some test mules dont have this UFO, and some do have them.

i dont know what it is, cant think of any gadget!

i invite fellow forum members to comment on it.

NOTE: there is one photo of the current safari, just for reference in comparison to Merlin.

MODS: sorry for posting all the photos again, but i had to prove a point.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-123.jpg  

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-30042011179w.jpg  

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-dsc00713.jpg  

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-image001.jpg  

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-image0091.jpg  

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-img00584201108090812.jpg  

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-img00590201108090817.jpg  

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-tatasafari2_2vtt36.jpg  

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-tatasafarimerlin.jpg  

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-tatasafarimerlinfront1.jpg  

Old 21st August 2011, 23:26   #629
Senior - BHPian

Probably built in SSM (surface to surface missile) launchers to take care of slow moving traffic ahead.

On a more serious note it is a curious addition. Last thing one wants to hear is thats just a useless ornamental fitting!!
Old 21st August 2011, 23:43   #630
Senior - BHPian

@parm: I think that they might have provided some air vents separately for the third-row. It really gets suffocating for 3rd row passengers when most of the windows are rolled-up halfely.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed