Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 16:06   #751
BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90

Guys dont jump to conlcusion so early. I had seen the interiors of Aria on a scoop. It looked worst and not acceptable, but when the actual vehicle seen in showroom (after the launch), there is a sea change. Although even i didnt like it in above pic. :(
Old 5th September 2011, 16:53   #752
Distinguished - BHPian

Yup. ARIA was RUE-some in test runs but AWE-some in real. Lets wait and watch. Keeping fingers crossed and literally hoping for the best.
Old 5th September 2011, 19:32   #753
BHPian

If one looks closely, there is plastic stickering used on the surfaces, guess as some sort of camouflage. The scratches are on the sticker material and should not be mistaken for surface wear n tear or color.
Happy to see a four spoke steering wheel; also seems to have an airbag.
Old 5th September 2011, 19:49   #754
BHPian

Here's a reworked version of the same image uploaded earlier which was very over exposed.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-merlin2.jpg  

turbo_freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 20:26   #755
MAS
Senior - BHPian

The quality of the Merlin looks better than the Safari, but there is still a lot to be desired. I just hope TATA looks into other suppliers for interiors.
Old 5th September 2011, 22:21   #756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_freak View Post
Here's a reworked version of the same image uploaded earlier which was very over exposed.
it looks a prototype/test mule, that explains the quality of the dash board.
Old 5th September 2011, 22:47   #757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
the all new Safari will definitey be based on a LR platform,
The all new Safari will be based on Aria platform not LR. The only thing that could be common between JLR and TM is engines. Right now JLR sources its engines from Ford, Ford is not able to produce enough engines for JLRs requirement. Also TM right now rely on Fiat engines to some extent (not Safari). So it is a good idea for to JLR-TM to design a new set of engines for use in both their vehicles. If needed TM-JLR combine could get help from Fiat to design these engines.

Last edited by teamveevee : 5th September 2011 at 22:48.
Old 6th September 2011, 12:35   #758
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I saw the pics of the Merlin yesterday- totally undisguised. Dont ask me how or where, cant share that.

All I can say is that while looks are very subjective, I for one was hugely disappointed.

The best way I can put it is that the front of the Merlin looks like a cross between a RR Evoque, Sumo Victa and the Tata Manza (and dont get carried away with the Evoque reference- it doesnt gel IMHO)

We have all seen the rear pics of the Merlin so no comments there.

The side cladding is a tad overdone.

the trouble with the Merlin design is that TML has taking the body shell of the existing Safari, which is curvaceous, and tried to give it an edgly look front and rear, which just does not gel.

One thing great in the merlin is its stance- it appears to have a wider track and seems better planted compared to the current safari.

so for those who want to but the Safari purely for how it looks, but the current gen- its got a certain purity in design that the Merlin cant match.

Sorry, didnt see any interior pics.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 12:42   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Folks, I saw the pics of the Merlin yesterday- totally undisguised. Dont ask me how or where, cant share that.

All I can say is that while looks are very subjective, I for one was hugely disappointed.

The best way I can put it is that the front of the Merlin looks like a cross between a RR Evoque, Sumo Victa and the Tata Manza (and dont get carried away with the Evoque reference- it doesnt gel IMHO)

We have all seen the rear pics of the Merlin so no comments there.

The side cladding is a tad overdone.

the trouble with the Merlin design is that TML has taking the body shell of the existing Safari, which is curvaceous, and tried to give it an edgly look front and rear, which just does not gel.

One thing great in the merlin is its stance- it appears to have a wider track and seems better planted compared to the current safari.

so for those who want to but the Safari purely for how it looks, but the current gen- its got a certain purity in design that the Merlin cant match.

Sorry, didnt see any interior pics.
Himanshu,

After having looked at the Merlin pics, will you still wait for Merlin launch? If the Merlin looks are still the same, will you go and buy the existing Safari?

Anyhow, what will be your next buy?

Cheers!
Irish
Old 6th September 2011, 12:44   #760
Senior - BHPian

Irish, I will not buy the Merlin for its looks, the current Safari loks far better. If I buy one, it will be because it is a vastly superior product in terms of engineering to the current Safari. But alas, as per my Info, the Merlin will be priced at least 1.5 to 2 L beyond what I can afford, so I am not buying the Merlin for sure.
Old 6th September 2011, 13:19   #761
Distinguished - BHPian

There doesn't seem to be any integrated ICE,no steering controls too.
The headlight controls look like being fitted by a roadside mechanic.
The brown interiors don't help either. I can't bear to see such lovely car being downgraded rather than upgraded. I am like

Last edited by bblost : 6th September 2011 at 16:25. Reason: Please refer forum rules. No more than 2 smileys per post. Thanks.
Old 6th September 2011, 16:01   #762
Senior - BHPian

@ ashis,

You have come to this conclusion after looking at a prototype undergoing testing. That is not what a finished dashboard will look like,first of all the lower half of the dashboard is already missing.

Its premature to declare statements until and unless one has seen the final finished product!!
Old 7th September 2011, 07:28   #763
Senior - BHPian

What I do not want Tata to do is do the same mistake they did with Indica Vista.
According to me if they are changing something around 40% of exteriors and interiors then they better give it a new name and launch it as a new product.
Its better they dont adopt confused strategy a la Indica Vista. where Indica was added at first then later almost removed. Better name it differently if the car is different.
Old 7th September 2011, 09:08   #764
BANNED

Before everyone starts commenting on the Interiors, one can get to see the Merlin at Concorde Motors- Bangalore.

It might have come there for training purposes i guess. Launch date should be near as said by my service advisor.

You would not find an SUV with such a well laid Dash, Quality is much better than any others in its class, and totally UNLIKE TATA

Its still very well guarded, so not allowed to snap pics. But there is a certain amount of CLASS the new Merlin exudes. Which will be evident once its Launched. Untill such time, i will reserve my comments.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 7th September 2011 at 09:26.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 09:24   #765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Before everyone starts commenting on the Interiors, one can get to see the Merlin at Concorde Motors- Bangalore.

You would not find an SUV with such a well laid Dash, Quality is much better than any others in its class, and totally UNLIKE TATA

Its still very well guarded, so not allowed to snap pics. But there is a certain amount of CLASS the new Merlin exudes. Which will be evident once its Launched. Untill such time, i will reserve my comments.
Thanks for the info.

Is it that launch date is near?? Or is this a unit that has come in to help the service personnel get to know the new Merlin??
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks