Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2011, 18:31   #886
BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90

I think we can safely rule out a Sep 27th launch. They might make an announcement to steal M&M XUV's thunder. Hope they come out soon with the Merlin!
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:26   #887
Senior - BHPian

The Safari picture in this link is mine, this is again taken from wikipedia.org, where if one does a search for Tata Safari, one gets to see 2 pictures of Black Storm.
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:26   #888
BHPian

I guess the launch is indeed in this month itself cause I do not know if you guys have noticed but the Tata safari is being advertised again on the TV so maybe they want to clear the old stocks for the Merlin.
Old 24th September 2011, 00:00   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
there is one of the picture from our tbhp member on this link
Tata Safari Merlin | Premium SUV | September Launch | Force One | Mahindra Global SUV |
Yes, I think it is LukeSkyWalker's Safari shot by rjstyles, IIRC. The latter had also shot his Scorp at the same/similar place?

Dont these auto magazines/online have any courtesy to acknowledge a source?

BH
Old 24th September 2011, 17:37   #890
BHPian

Source IAB

Rear Looks Macho!!

''The Merlin was caught testing by IAB fan Bhushan P on the NH4 just before Pune. Bhushan says the Merlin was easily doing 120kph.Equipped with disc brakes on all four wheels, new steering system, improved gearbox, and many new features borrowed from the Aria parts bin and a 2.2-liter DICOR engine that could produce higher power and torque outputs, the Merlin is on a mission to unsettle the Mahindra Scorpio''
Attached Images

Old 24th September 2011, 19:52   #891

Checked with the Chennai Concorde. The guy says that Merlin will be launched in October'11 as it was told to them long back and there wasn't any update after that. When i asked about the September'11 launch as it is floating on the net, he very firmly stick to the Oct. Also he has told that many enquirers expressed their displeasure on the stepney going under the chasis.
Old 24th September 2011, 22:57   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Source: IAB

Caught on NH4, the rear looks Macho and Huge!

Tata Safari Merlin continues testing; Launch not in this month
Equipped with disc brakes on all four wheels, new steering system, improved gearbox, and many new features borrowed from the Aria parts bin and a 2.2-liter DICOR engine that could produce higher power and torque outputs, the Merlin is on a mission to unsettle the Mahindra Scorpio.
Power was not an issue with Safari after its 2.2Dicor iteration. Lots of QC and niggles on reliability and hence overal product quality of Safari has been not up to the mark.

Scorpio has become 4K units volume seller with a sizeable presence in people moving segment, while Safari is largely private aspirational vehicle and has been doing only about 1K for quite some time due to QC issues and prevented by last row jump seats to become a MUV/people mover.

Pricing is important for TATA. Given TATA's recent strategy of erasing VFM tag associated with them, I don't expect them to price it competitively.

I sincerely hope TATA lauches totally enhanced Safari with great reliability and great safety and comfort-convenience features at best price. Rather Tata going towards big T on prices TATA must set a trend of big T slashing the price and offer more for sustaining volumes.

Last edited by harimakesh : 24th September 2011 at 22:58.
Old 25th September 2011, 15:43   #893
BHPian

confirm news MERLIN launch postponed for next year may be auto expo . Production of only 20 vehicles done no plan for immediate production which was proposed earlier. SOP not yet decided.
Old 25th September 2011, 16:23   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
confirm news MERLIN launch postponed for next year may be auto expo . Production of only 20 vehicles done no plan for immediate production which was proposed earlier. SOP not yet decided.
What is the source? Bad news anyways!
Old 25th September 2011, 16:27   #895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
What is the source? Bad news anyways!
safari production line is the source, as i am scouting for a SUV in this range I was confused between F1 & merlin but as launch was round the corner I had thought to wait, hence I confirmed with safari prod line & they said it has been postponed as some issues are still to be sorted out which can take a month or two.
Old 25th September 2011, 17:10   #896
BHPian

Good to know that TATA is coming out with something new in SUV segment. But Merlin? is that the name they can think of for an SUV. This name is so feminine.
Old 25th September 2011, 19:22   #897
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
Good news & bad news ! Good news is even now they are wanting to clear all niggles before launch, which means we can look forward for a nice product [hopefully]. Bad news is its getting delayed. I still prefer sorting out niggles & launching it slightly late than giving us a car with niggles. TATA very seriously should do this on all their cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avin View Post
Good to know that TATA is coming out with something new in SUV segment. But Merlin? is that the name they can think of for an SUV. This name is so feminine.
I guess Merlin is the code word & not the actual word.
Old 26th September 2011, 13:41   #898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avin
Merlin can't be feminine because Merlin was never a female name. History on the most famous Merlin, a Wizard in the days of King Arthur, can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlin
Old 26th September 2011, 15:23   #899
BHPian

Just heard from a friend of mine in TML that auto expo looks doubtful, launch might be even later!
Old 26th September 2011, 15:36   #900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero View Post
Just heard from a friend of mine in TML that auto expo looks doubtful, launch might be even later!
TML never launches its cars at the Auto Expo. It only unveils them there. Launch (if it takes place) follows later, usually after a year or so.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed