Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2011, 22:12   #1141
BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90

4 variants in 11-12 Lakhs price band? 11 L starting priced variant comes with 4x4 version?

Base variant starting at this price level is BAD for TATA. Will sure to become a sales Dud. Poor compalascent Tata.

Is there an Option for 4x4 on all variants available?
Old 25th October 2011, 22:19   #1142
Senior - BHPian

@ harimakesh,

I agree, the starting price has to be lower even if it means the base Merlin will only be available with 2WD.

Not many customers find value in a true 4x4 drivetrain, people prefer gadgets, features at a VFM price. One would have thought Tata learnt this with the Aria experience.

Again my comments are based on the insider info on this thread. No one surely knows the launch date, let alone the pricing!!
Old 25th October 2011, 23:12   #1143
BHPian

I really don't know how to react. If this is really true then tata lost it already. 11 Lakhs ex showroom means around 13 on road which is same as XUV So apart from somebody who is looking for 4X4 low rather than a softroader it won't make much of sense. (I am assuming all the versions are 4X4)

It needs to be positioned somewhere near 10. I hope they do. I've always loved Safari and I am going to buy one just for the sake of realizing my dream. I hope tata help me do so.

-Ij
Old 26th October 2011, 00:19   #1144
BHPian

I just hope they do not delay the launch too much. I think too much is being talked about Merlin already and 77 pages and counting on Merlin thread is an example of that. But the enthusiasm is slowly dying out because of the delay in the launch.

For example, I was super excited hearing about the hopeful pre diwali launch rumors. But no official news of the launch yet is causing all my excitement to die down.

In case TATA Motors is delaying just for the sake of Auto Expo or anything else, I think it is inexcusable. However, if they are delaying it because of some niggles, then it is acceptable. But still if they were facing so many problems, they should have hidden the probable Merlin launch in a much better way.

Also the delay is also causing additional questions in my mind.
Old 26th October 2011, 00:55   #1145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
4 days to the launch from what I hear. 4 variants. Price will be 11-12 Lacs. I'm assuming ex-showroom. Definites as of now are font facing 3rd row and re-mapped more powerful Dicor power-plant. Happy Diwali guys.
Thanks for the information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
4 variants in 11-12 Lakhs price band? 11 L starting priced variant comes with 4x4 version?
Some one said that Merlin will be a soft roader & there will be no options for a 4x4 ? And a 1L is quite less range for placing 4 variants of a premium car - 25K difference on variant to variant??! C'Mon - I can't even expect a 2WD variant & a 4WD variant for the same trim in 11L & 12L ranges respectively.

Will have to wait till the actual launch is done to get the correct picture!
Old 26th October 2011, 03:13   #1146
Senior - BHPian

A launch in 4 days, that's when the F1 circus comes to India!! I wonder what Tata has in mind?!
Old 26th October 2011, 18:41   #1147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
It might be, but here in my city when I asked the Head mechanic who has been working from 4 years at the same TASC, his reply was negative, he did'nt even knew that there is any new Safari due for launch.
Maybe they are copying the XUV launch and booking open only in the Metros & Bangalore, Pune.
Old 27th October 2011, 15:31   #1148
Senior - BHPian

Sorry but I really feel it would be unfair to divulge anything about sources one way or the other. Most of us from the corporate sector know that such leaks can cost people their jobs, especially when it is linked to high profile launches, where timing, features, and pricing is everything. There is another source that says that the cars are ready but the launch is not for another 1.5 months at the least. This is seriously frustrating. He also confirms that Merlin is definitely not the actual name of the vehicle.
Old 27th October 2011, 15:43   #1149
Senior - BHPian

This thread is going like a typical TV serial. Lots of drama, twist and turns already, Villain XUV 5 wooo waa had a terrific entry. After hearing 29th launch I searched everywhere to get some clue/details.. sigh!

Looks like TATA is clueless about what to do next!

Last edited by Latheesh : 27th October 2011 at 15:46.
Old 27th October 2011, 17:25   #1150
BHPian

TATA just got started launching premium products and CEO leaving has left them with a little wound.
Old 27th October 2011, 17:52   #1151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh
This thread is going like a typical TV serial. Lots of drama, twist and turns already, Villain XUV 5 wooo waa had a terrific entry. After hearing 29th launch I searched everywhere to get some clue/details.. sigh!

Looks like TATA is clueless about what to do next!
I couldn't agree more; the suspense is killing me roll: now that the XUV 500 launch lost its fizz, let's see what (and when) Tata comes up with
Old 27th October 2011, 21:37   #1152

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusharsethi View Post
Just got a pic of the 2011 Safari replacement called the Tata Merlin. The code name for the same is Safari18. It has something to do with the fact that it had to be developed in 18 months which in turn took 36.

It has the same Safari 2.2 Dicor engine. All I know till now is that the AC is better than the safari and it has better interiors and plastic quality and has a more comfortable ride quality. It will feature the same Aria rims.

I will keep this thread updated if I get any more information.
Attachment 453876
Thanks for posting this picture Tushar. The front profile looks more like the Range Rover. Possibly, the Tatas could have given a deliberate bland look in the front and later change it to avoid info leakage. Anyway, the branding is good- a new name, "Tata-Merlin". Somehow sounds like a restuarant.
Old 31st October 2011, 14:14   #1153
BHPian

Diwali is over and so is F1 GP , still no update on the so called Merlin . Anybody any news ?
Old 31st October 2011, 14:38   #1154
BHPian

This news in Indian Auto Blog says "Launch of Merlin unlikely in 2011"

Quote:
Sources recently told IndianAutosBlog.com that Tata Motors is unlikely to conduct the launch of the Safari Merlin in 2011.
From where it stands now, a debut or showcasing of the Safari replacement is not in the vicinity. Tata has the option of making a splash at the Auto Expo in January 2012, but showcasing the new model can lead to the death of sales of the existing Safari. Dealers loaded with stock will find the going tough if Tata opts to display the Merlin as customers will be tempted to wait for the new model before making a decision.
Old 31st October 2011, 15:14   #1155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajchetan View Post
Come-on.. don't keep us waiting.

At-least let there be something concrete not Smoke. Else TATA will only be seen smoking XUV 5OO OO OO oo o.
As mentioned earlier. Its just Smoke....
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks