Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:07   #1186
BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90

Not sure if this has already been discussed, the merlin will be based on the Aria X2 platform and not the existing safari, that was something new and nice to me. That could mean an escalation in cost. Also the ESP etc are planned to be down ported from the Aria. Now that could make Merlin not a the next safari, but a different vehicle itself that fits into the safari segment. I hope TATA does not badge it "Safari Merlin" but just calls it "Merlin" (unlike the Vista and Manza when they dropped the indica and indgo later). It will be interesting to see what they can do with the price!
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:45   #1187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
I hope TATA does not badge it "Safari Merlin" but just calls it "Merlin" (unlike the Vista and Manza when they dropped the indica and indgo later).
Unlike Indica / Indigo badges which are almost synonymous to "taxis", Safari is more of a premium brand for TATA. So there is no problem in using this name. And I am not sure it is going to be named "Merlin" as someone posted that Merlin is the code name for the project. Should be interesting to see how they name the face-lifted / new Safari.
Old 2nd November 2011, 22:48   #1188
BHPian

9 lakhs/auto expo
just heard it somewhere, no sources, dont rely on me or dont start shouting about insider info etc, no i dont know any big wigs.
Old 3rd November 2011, 00:14   #1189
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

There are atleast 3 if not more detailed Aria ownership threads on Tbhp. Am myself at 30,000 kms. The quality and reliability is on par with the best of.breed. Have used a Safari for 10 years prior to the Aria and can say the difference in quality needs to be lived with to be understood. Also as per the service advisors this is the first tata vehicle where they have had negligible issues from the start. Touch wood. Of course to keep it objective over 30k odd kms some stuff like reverse camera developed a fault but it was taken care of in warranty.

Basing the new safari on Aria platform can only improve the Safari significantly.

We have digressed a lot discussing the Aria and sumo attributes on this thread lets leave it for the Aria and Grande threads.

Also yes the XUV has impacted the Scorpio and other vehicles in segment but yet they all along with the current Safari continue to sell even now so lets not go overboard in worrying about the downfall of an impending product even before it arrives.

Yes it is given that tata would do well to reconsider the new Safari price and spec keeping XUV in mind.

There are many customers who actually dont want to purchase the largest selling model and are happy being one of the limited buyers of a product as long as it gets customer support. Safari was most expensive in class since its launch and yet it has sold a lot over the years.

Ladder on frame chassis are known to be more expensive to produce besides making the car heavier. But this also implies a longer lasting vehicle in bad road conditions specifically. So you gain in cornering and fuel effeciency with a mono chassis but loose else where. The top two offroaders of our time the range rover and land cruiser toyota/ lexus continue to be ladder on frame units.

Tata has choosen the ladder frame route for its crossover so for the pure SUV Safari it becomes a no brainer choisen
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 01:38   #1190
Senior - BHPian

The best SUVs still use a ladder frame chassis especially taking into account the off roading benefits of such a design. To name a few:
  • LR Defender
  • LR Discovery
  • Range Rover/Sport
  • Toyota Landcruiser
  • Nissan Patrol
  • Jeep Wrangler
  • Mercedes G Wagen
Off course for predominantly on roan use a mono chassis is more than enough and thats what plenty of soft roaders use. The pros and cons go either way!!

@ ACM,

You cant convince someone who is stubborn to believe the Aria is full of problems otherwise. You present 3 happy pwners then they ask for 10, present 10 then its 100, best to ignore them.
shortbread is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2011, 17:12   #1191
BHPian

Guys posting this after speaking to a Sales Ex from Concorde today, came here to looking for Safari EX 4X4, which they don't have. Not sure how far to trust his words, but he's asked me to wait for 15 days for the new Safari launch. Hence an ad for 50K discount on the current model is given. He also says there's very high expectation of the new vehicle etc, and started praising it.

I feel the initial code name given to this project should have been Safari 80 instead of Safari 18

Last edited by arvindmanju : 9th November 2011 at 17:15.
Old 12th November 2011, 00:08   #1192
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
You cant convince someone who is stubborn to believe the Aria is full of problems otherwise. You present 3 happy pwners then they ask for 10, present 10 then its 100, best to ignore them.
Sorry What?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ownership.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2575090

If you people read my posts, I never said Aria is full of problems, but we don't have enough sampling on the Aria to confirm this, but Tata fans have a way of lashing out which I don't understand, but I don't mind either...

OT, but I heard my neighborhood restaurant has crow on the menu, but I can't seem to find a Taxi Scorpio to take me to the restaurant.

I don't live in UK, but in South India and over the last year and half put about 80,000 kilometers on the road and have come across only two T-board Scorpios, both in Kerala....

In Chennai, I recently tried to book a T-board Scorpio with Adyar Cabs, Besant Call Taxi & Fast Track, but they said only Tavera & Innova were available.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 12th November 2011 at 00:21.
Old 12th November 2011, 21:56   #1193
Distinguished - BHPian

When I agree that TATA has come leaps & bounds from early stage, lets accept that they still have a long way to go; reading the different posts on their latest products too. I was quite inclined towards Manza & Aria after reading the reviews & TDing Vista, but it took just 1 trip on a 6 month old Manza to strike it out of my list.

Whatever anyone say, to me, it's simply unacceptable for any new car to have issues which I saw in the Manza or the Aria. I would rather see TATA improving on the engine & reliability part than the fit & finish / rattles.

Having said that, I am still inclined towards my dream - The Safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I don't live in UK, but in South India and over the last year and half put about 80,000 kilometers on the road and have come across only two T-board Scorpios, both in Kerala....
There definitely are taxi scorps in Kerala and quite a bunch at it. I belong to a place near the highranges & I do see a lot of taxi scorps used for wedding trips. Heck, even today I saw a KL-02 registration taxi scorp. If we check some of the t-logs to Leh, guess I have seen some taxi scorps in there too. But I must agree that I see lesser Safari taxis.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 12th November 2011 at 22:02.
Old 12th November 2011, 22:26   #1194
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@swifn

Trust me, if Tatas did a better job with their QA/QC, I would be driving a Safari instead of a Scorpio. Besides I own a Tata Indica Vista which I purchased in February this year and already clocked 18,000 kms on it. The only recurring issue has been the ineffectiveness of the AC.
Old 13th November 2011, 12:33   #1195
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
@swifn

The only recurring issue has been the ineffectiveness of the AC.
Yes Iam also facing the same problem. I think it is the fault of TATA. I do not know who approved this at the design stage but Vista with a bigger volume gets a less capacity compressor (440 gm) as against 660 gm in old indica. Of course new indica (25 kml one) gets 550 gm compressor still better than Vista.

My vista has clocked 51K in 3.5 years
Old 14th November 2011, 08:12   #1196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Yeah I agree with this. recently we called local taxiwala for railway station drop. scorp came. i was not comfortable for the 10 km ride to railway station in the front seat. i do not know what will be comfort levels in second and third row.
Went from Delhi to Mathura and back in 1 day sitting on the third row.Amost broke my back.
Old 14th November 2011, 08:31   #1197
BHPian

Why are we discussing scorpio in merlin thread. I keeep coming back to this thread only to find more discussion on taxi scorpio et all. Let's focus on merlin and in case wee cannot add significantlyy, I would urge mods to close the thread and restart when something concrete is available to share
shivmarwaha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 09:26   #1198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivmarwaha View Post
Why are we discussing scorpio in merlin thread. I keeep coming back to this thread only to find more discussion on taxi scorpio et all. Let's focus on merlin and in case wee cannot add significantlyy, I would urge mods to close the thread and restart when something concrete is available to share
That is because, irrespective of what one has to say, scorpio is a strong competitor & is giving a tough time to the current safari!
Old 14th November 2011, 12:01   #1199
sarcar

Here's some more fuel to the rumor mill. Went into TASS for 5K service and had a casual conversation with th Svc Advisor. He was tight-lipped and that seemed (to me) to be more out of lack of knowledge than secrecy. He did mention that the new Merlin had a "hydroformed chassis" and "better interiors". He was unclear about whether he had attended any training.

Meanwhile, spotted a few Mahindra XUV 5 double-o's on the road, including one in my basement parking, belonging to a neighbour. Having bought a Safari just a couple of months back, it crossed my mind a few times if I had timed it correctly or if I should have waited for the 500.

All I can say is, "No envy, no regrets."

Old 14th November 2011, 17:19   #1200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcar View Post
Here's some more fuel to the rumor mill. Went into TASS for 5K service and had a casual conversation with th Svc Advisor. He was tight-lipped and that seemed (to me) to be more out of lack of knowledge than secrecy. He did mention that the new Merlin had a "hydroformed chassis" and "better interiors". He was unclear about whether he had attended any training.

Meanwhile, spotted a few Mahindra XUV 5 double-o's on the road, including one in my basement parking, belonging to a neighbour. Having bought a Safari just a couple of months back, it crossed my mind a few times if I had timed it correctly or if I should have waited for the 500.

All I can say is, "No envy, no regrets."
Lolz. Like that " no envy, No regrets" part.

Having almost paid an advance for a safari and just in time having booked the XUV and driving it now, i must admit, some where down the line, i will always miss owning a safri
Closed Thread

Most Viewed