Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2011, 11:08   #1321
BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Talked to my dealership's guys on the upcoming Merlin when I went for my Aria's test drive before registration. They say that the Merlin is now quite similar to the Aria and the Tata folks have heavily taken their learnings from the Aria and put in in the Merlin.

Also, prices are going up from Jan 1 on most of the models but they said that the Merlin would be well priced taking the competition in consideration.

Cheers
Yes. I think there are a lot of people waiting for the price announcement. If they price it wisely, then there are quite a number of people waiting to buy.
In fact, i am also in that list.
Old 28th December 2011, 11:28   #1322
BHPian

Well, I dont think only a cosmetic change will do any good. The Safari needs third row of front facing seats to make any difference to the sales. I am not sure what Tatas are banking here on for the sales. The old safari is good enough and the interiors were never bad looking. So, just modifying the dash would not be of any value. The rattling may have reduced but what segment are the targetting now given that a proper seven seater would have beaten xuv by a huge margin. The safari is one of the best looking suvs in the world, all they needed to do was get the third row seats front facing and some cosmetic changes and get rid of the rattles and improve the plastics. I think Tata's are going to loose the battle again. Sad for such a great company which had this iconic vehicle way back in 1998 :(
Old 28th December 2011, 12:41   #1323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
When TATA had a new platform to work with, it could have gone all the way & come up with an all new model instead of just a new face on the same 14 year old design.

No doubt, the ride MAY be better, dash MAY be better, NVH MAY be better, etc... but then why the same body?
There is a saying by a music maestro [Illayaraja in Tamil, if you have heard about him] - A music or tune or song lasts for years and years because, its tuned "ahead of time".

Though not exactly similar, Many considers the Safari design [look and feel] like that. Its time tested, none complained about its looks. In fact, many [really many] likes the solid, bold but subtle look of Safari.
So, definitely, the TATA think-tank says "Why to fix something that is not broken". Hence, the same body is maintained whether its 4 years or 14 years aged.

Also, who knows, this may be a transient model for taking the Safari towards the X2 platform which is supposed to be "All NEW Safari".

Lets be patient and not conclude anything prior to seeing a product in flesh PROPERLY.

Prem.
Old 28th December 2011, 14:05   #1324
BHPian

Honestly, as a current 2.2 dicor owner, i don't think Safari needed any changes in the looks department. What it needs is better, rattle free built quality, a dead pedal, smoother gear shifts and lighter clutch and maybe a revised gear ratios to make it more easier in city traffic. Everything else is just fine. And instead of removing the spare wheel from tail gate, Tata should have gone for Montero like arrangement for it.
Old 28th December 2011, 14:28   #1325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
There is a saying by a music maestro [Illayaraja in Tamil, if you have heard about him] - A music or tune or song lasts for years and years because, its tuned "ahead of time".

Though not exactly similar, Many considers the Safari design [look and feel] like that. Its time tested, none complained about its looks. In fact, many [really many] likes the solid, bold but subtle look of Safari.
So, definitely, the TATA think-tank says "Why to fix something that is not broken". Hence, the same body is maintained whether its 4 years or 14 years aged.

Also, who knows, this may be a transient model for taking the Safari towards the X2 platform which is supposed to be "All NEW Safari".

Lets be patient and not conclude anything prior to seeing a product in flesh PROPERLY.

Prem.
Agreed. But however good the design is, one does get bored after such a long period.

If it was just a facelift on the same chassis, this would have been a good move. But according to reports, they have used the Aria's chassis & I would have preferred something 'fresh'.
Old 28th December 2011, 14:49   #1326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
When TATA had a new platform to work with, it could have gone all the way & come up with an all new model instead of just a new face on the same 14 year old design.

No doubt, the ride MAY be better, dash MAY be better, NVH MAY be better, etc... but then why the same body?
Again, design is a subjective thing. What looks boring to you, might appeal to someone else.

And as far as I can tell, its definitely not just a new face on a 14 year old design. The amount of testing that has gone into this, surely implies they have revamped it inside out. What has improved and what has not will only be put to rest once the vehicle is out in the open. Let's wait for the launch and initial test drives.

Why not come up with a new product instead of doing all this to an existing product? Maybe they were broke after building Aria.

On a serious note, it's their call frankly, and people will vote with their wallets. So, lets just wait and see how the market responds - accepts or rejects this product.
Old 28th December 2011, 17:42   #1327
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure how true this is but got an input from a TATA source (unconfirmed of course).

=> The New Safari will have a double DIN integrated system unlike the angled single DIN aftermarket version we have been seeing in the spy shots, that we have been seeing in some of the snaps and yes it is close to launch. Ofcourse the other things communicated were a reconfirmation of what we have been seeing in the various snaps. (LR like edgy front looks, tyre below rear etc.) This was the only point that seemed different from the snaps.

But don't hold me to this as though from a reliable source it could be a miscommunication.
Old 28th December 2011, 17:45   #1328
BHPian

I was looking at the two different spy pics of the interiors and the thing that struck me was why is the gear leaver in both the pics of different height ?

"Pics courtesy of Y@SH "

Have a look at the first pic :-
Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-0_0_0_http__i.haymarket.net.au_news_safari_03.jpg

And now the second pic :-

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-tatasafarimerlin4.jpg

Why is this so ??

Also the second pic seems to be of the top end variant as it has Airbags and chrome door handles . If you look closely just below the driver side ac vent , you will find European style headlight controls !

In the second pic , the gear mesh seams to be torn of at the left side . Another sign of (In)Famous Tata build quality ??

It seems in the name of ICE , Tata will be providing an aftermarket Alpine Head unit. But wont it look odd on the top end variant ?

Attaching another pic to show how big a leap forward are these interiors over the current gen Safari's.

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-tatasafaridicor22interior1.jpg
Old 28th December 2011, 17:55   #1329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
I was looking at the two different spy pics of the interiors and the thing that struck me was why is the gear leaver in both the pics of different height ?

Why is this so ??
The reason is in the 1st picture the vehicle is parked in gear and the 2nd picture it is kept in neutral, hope this resolves your confusion.

Quote:
In the second pic , the gear mesh seams to be torn of at the left side . Another sign of (In)Famous Tata build quality ??
This cannot be told as build quality until you see the final vehicle launched.

The picture which you are seeing is a test mule and is being used by several people for several miles and in various conditions and people will be handling the same very rough.
Old 28th December 2011, 18:34   #1330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
The reason is in the 1st picture the vehicle is parked in gear and the 2nd picture it is kept in neutral, hope this resolves your confusion.

This cannot be told as build quality until you see the final vehicle launched.

The picture which you are seeing is a test mule and is being used by several people for several miles and in various conditions and people will be handling the same very rough.

About the gear lever positioning , at first even i felt the same but if you look at the height of the gear lever itself , it seems to tell a different story. The height of the lever cannot change that significantly , that it is below the HU in Neutral and above the HU in First gear. I can be wrong but i would request you to give it a second look .

About the build quality , i thought the final test before the launch of the vehicle is done of a production ready vehicle . I agree there are certain changes but things such as the gear know mesh ?? Dont know about that .
Further a Safari is meant to be used rough , after all the reclaim your life adds suggest the same then why the lack in the quality in such basic areas?

P.S. I have endless love and respect for the safari and by no means do i intend to bash it . However i would love to see an amazing product become even better
Old 28th December 2011, 18:40   #1331
Senior - BHPian

^^
@ Enigmatic :

1) Yes gear lever height is different even if we consider different gear position

2) The issue in the interior - The pic you are referring is not new, it is an old picture of a prototype.
Old 28th December 2011, 23:41   #1332
Senior - BHPian

Was able to see the Safari Storme in flesh, when it came to Magarpatta City, Pune, for an ad shoot.

I was very underwhelmed by the new Safari's looks, it looks like a domesticated dog, rather than the imposing wild beast it was, before, to use a metaphor. In fact, it is almost like an offspring fathered by the Sumo Grande, on the earlier safari ! The bonnet is now much lower, and the whole vehicle sits lower with the new platform, I guess. While this should aid handling, it has taken away from the imposing stance, which I quite liked. Although the side profile is similar, I feel that the proportion is all wrong in the Storme. Didn't like the chrome moustache, or the fake wood inserts in the dash, but must say that the dash is an improvement from the outgoing safari. Looks are personal, so I may be part of a minority, let's see how the market responds to the Storme. Will she kick up a storm ???
Old 29th December 2011, 00:02   #1333
BHPian

Nice refreshing change to the safari overall.

Is it just me or someone else also thinks that design on the back in heavily inspired from the latest generation ford explorer?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-2011fordexplorerreview07.jpg  

Old 29th December 2011, 00:09   #1334
Pal
BHPian

Wow guys! What sharp eyes!!

The gear lever is indeed higher! Its the new GB-76 MK2 gearbox but the gear stalk underneath suffers from age old length mismatch! Hey Bhagwaan!!

The fuel tank has been shifted from its current position. Earlier it was mounted transversely below the 3rd row seats. Now it sits longitudinally besides the propeller shaft. ( And the neatness with which its packed it commendable)

1-DIN is all you can expect. I too was hoping by launch time a rabbit is popped out of the hat and voila - Integrated touch panel! But alas, an aftermarket one (Alpine DVD nonetheless) is engineered in the dash.

Cant wait till Auto Expo 2012!
Old 29th December 2011, 01:07   #1335
BHPian

Quote:

Attaching another pic to show how big a leap forward are these interiors over the current gen Safari's.

Attachment 861422
Honestly, I don't see that "big leap" in interiors. It is plain evolution, and it has not become worse, thankfully. I would call Scorpio to XUV as a significant jump. Comparing Merlin's interiors to Aria's, I find the latter's interiors a lot better. Merlin, to me, is a bit of a let down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailee_Jatt_Boy View Post
Nice refreshing change to the safari overall.

Is it just me or someone else also thinks that design on the back in heavily inspired from the latest generation ford explorer?
Oh! I think it is just you this time. I think Merlin's shell is only inspired by the current Safari. Tata designers just decided not to look around. Sadly!

BH.

Last edited by BurningHeart : 29th December 2011 at 01:08.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed