Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2011, 01:44   #1336
BHPian

re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningHeart View Post
Honestly, I don't see that "big leap" in interiors. It is plain evolution, and it has not become worse, thankfully. I would call Scorpio to XUV as a significant jump. Comparing Merlin's interiors to Aria's, I find the latter's interiors a lot better. Merlin, to me, is a bit of a let down.

BH.
You would find the latters interiors more better because its in a different category !!
Same is the case with the xuv Interiors over the scorpio !

We are talking about a vehicle that has hardly changed a bit since its launch in 98 !! And hence every bit of change is significant ..
Old 29th December 2011, 06:14   #1337
Senior - BHPian

It could be just me, but i find the looks of Merlin very disappointing. It just looks way too boxy! First thing that comes to mind is this is an overgrown WagonR.

Of course sometimes spy-shots doesn't do justice to the vehicle, so i will wait for the Auto Expo.
Old 29th December 2011, 07:18   #1338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pal View Post
Its the new GB-76 MK2 gearbox ..
From what my SA's told me, the GB-76 is a family of GB's, and not a unique "model". Even my Sumo has the GB-76, like the older Safari's. But - the gearing is different. There are different GB-76 units used at diff times/in diff models.

My guess at this time is that the lever is shorter than before - as seen from the pics from the ad shoot. The Test vehicles showed a longer lever, but the ones in the ad shoot are newer & closer to production models than the test vehicles.

Let's wait for better pics. We will know soon.
Old 29th December 2011, 10:02   #1339
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Not sure how true this is but got an input from a TATA source (unconfirmed of course).

=> The New Safari will have a double DIN integrated system unlike the angled single DIN aftermarket version we have been seeing in the spy shots, that we have been seeing in some of the snaps and yes it is close to launch.
To add there was also mention that the top varient would have DVD screens that the Aria does not have. Also as there was mention that the bonnet is lower down/ sloping lower - don't know how that would happen either (unless they are indeed using Aria underpinning as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Was able to see the Safari Storme in flesh, when it came to Magarpatta City, Pune, for an ad shoot.

I was very underwhelmed by the new Safari's looks, it looks like a domesticated dog, rather than the imposing wild beast it was, before, to use a metaphor. In fact, it is almost like an offspring fathered by the Sumo Grande, on the earlier safari ! The bonnet is now much lower, and the whole vehicle sits lower with the new platform, I guess. While this should aid handling, it has taken away from the imposing stance, which I quite liked.
Yep you sighting seems to reconfirm the lower bonnet and seems to imply the similar views of newer platfrom as mentioned above - will aid handling for sure and that should be good though it will impact the current imposing visual presence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
I was looking at the two different spy pics of the interiors and the thing that struck me was why is the gear leaver in both the pics of different height ?

Why is this so ??

Also the second pic seems to be of the top end variant as it has Airbags and chrome door handles . If you look closely just below the driver side ac vent , you will find European style headlight controls !

In the second pic , the gear mesh seams to be torn of at the left side . Another sign of (In)Famous Tata build quality ??

It seems in the name of ICE , Tata will be providing an aftermarket Alpine Head unit. But wont it look odd on the top end variant ?

Attaching another pic to show how big a leap forward are these interiors over the current gen Safari's.

Attachment 861422
The Headlight controls and the hearlight beam adjust part is a straight lift from the Aria and should be of good quality - feel mine (Aria controls) work as well as in the Eurpean build Laura. Also that brings in the possibility of Automatic headlamps which is a position on the unit.

On ICE as mentioned above have been informed that it is not this one but a double DIN intergrated unit that we will see. So maybe the snaps that we have / units seen out here are still not the latest version. - This though is unconfirmed.

The snap may not be of the topmost varient/s (except base) and possibly even the lower varients may have front Airbags.

Last edited by ACM : 29th December 2011 at 10:04.
Old 30th December 2011, 11:15   #1340
Team-BHP Support

A big thanks to Shatrughan Saxena for sharing these great pictures of the uncovered Tata Safari Merlin shooting for an ad in Magarpatta City, Pune.

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-merlin-magarpatta-city-pune.jpg

Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90-shatrughan-saxena-merlin-magarpatta-city-pune2.jpg

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th December 2011 at 11:22.
Rehaan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 11:29   #1341
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Merlin - Safari replacement? *UPDATE* Uncovered Pics on Pg 90

Sure does look better than all previous iterations of the Safari to me. The chrome bar does make it look like a premium product (though I personally don't like chrome bars) And the alloys seems to be the same as the current car right? IMHO If price tag doesn't get a significant update, then it should do better than the current car.
Old 30th December 2011, 11:35   #1342
BHPian

Looks like its missing the BEASTLY looks that the safari commands.

Its mellowed down . Worth watching for this space more often.

Thanks Rehaan and shatrughan
Old 30th December 2011, 12:15   #1343
Senior - BHPian

Nice looks
Ghastly Colour
and TATA, please lose those Chrome ORVMS!

To those who were concerned about the bonnet being lower, that is an optical illusion on account of the change in the bonnet design. the current Safari has a flowing bonnet and hence looks high set. The Merlin has a chiseled bonnet and in this dark color, the table top effect is not apparent, but if you look closely, the Bonnet height does seem unaltered.
Old 30th December 2011, 12:24   #1344
Senior - BHPian

I have no serious problems per se with the front. Its the rear (and therefore the side profile) that really disappoints. Without the spare tyre breaking the lines there, one now realizes really how tall and narrow the rear really looks. Those comparing it to an inflated WagonR are really not a fair way off the mark.

Of ALL the things TATA could do to improve the Safari, they go and change the ONE thing that the Safari had seriously going for it since it was launched more than a decade ago - its macho looks that contributed to maximum aspirational sales volumes in spite of every other drawback reported and dissected threadbare!

The raw yet strangely classy "truck" appeal is sadly missing. Now its just one other boxy-ish SUV in the 10+ Lac bracket ..... and with a lot of baggage at that.

Last edited by ebonho : 30th December 2011 at 12:30.
Old 30th December 2011, 12:48   #1345
BHPian

The name still remains Safari. I like the head lamps, wheel caps/alloys appear from the Aria
Old 30th December 2011, 13:07   #1346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
A big thanks to Shatrughan Saxena for sharing these great pictures of the uncovered Tata Safari Merlin shooting for an ad in Magarpatta City, Pune.

cya
R
Ahh much better pictures. Leaves nothing to imagination. Rehan and Shatrughan thank you.
I feel this refresh just makes the Safari look more impressive from the front 3 quarter view. I love this look. hopefully this will be displayed at Auto Expo. Will have very detailed look at it there.
Old 30th December 2011, 13:14   #1347
Senior - BHPian

Very disappointed. After all this years, here is what they do. Just a new face on the same body? Even the ORVMs are the same!

On the plus side, it looks very good. It is a good "facelift" but not worthy to be titled an all new SUV.
Old 30th December 2011, 22:21   #1348
BHPian

New kid is given the same name Safari instead of Merlin, implying they are going to discontinue existing variant. If they do that they need to cover the price point of existing safari so IMHO the new product would not have a giant gap with existing prices, which is good.

Or am I over-analyzing it
Old 30th December 2011, 22:38   #1349
BHPian

Front looks quite impressive.
Side view left me surprised. There doen't seem to be natural amalgamation of front and back which LOOKS too taller to be proportionate.
On darker shades of colour crome won't look bad and would be tolerable.

IMO interiors are no way close to XUV and should definitely be factored in pricing.
I am still wondering what kind of excellence would this product product command over XUV? Price?

However I have a big soft spot for TATA. Would definitely include this in possible upgrade planned at the end of Jan 2012.

Rgds and Happy New Year to all.
Old 31st December 2011, 00:57   #1350
sarcar

Hmmm.. what is that Innova doing at a Safari ad shoot .

Granted that looks are subjective, but there is nothing revolutionary in the facelift. Some people will like it, some won't. At least it does not look as boxy as the Sumo Grande.

The real test is going to be how much of the "internals" change. The promised (or rumored if you wish) contents such as a 150 PS tuning to the 2.2 DICOR, MK II gearbox, better NVH characteristics, premium interiors .... those will be key.

Talking about "premium", even today when I look at an Aria, I feel Tata just does not get what *premium* is. Ironic - coming from a company that has the Jag in its folds.

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks