Team-BHP - Which cities in U.P. can issue Smart card or Plastic card driving license (DL) ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Which cities in U.P. can issue Smart card or Plastic card driving license (DL) ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/92433-cities-u-p-can-issue-smart-card-plastic-card-driving-license-dl.html)

Hi,
I would like to know in which cities in U.P. (Uttar Pradesh), the RTO can issue the smart card (with or without embedded chip) or plastic card type license ?
How about Varanasi, Allahabad or Meerut ? And whats the fee for such conversion ?

[Moderators - please move this thread to correct section if this is not the correct section for such queries. I am new here and could not find a General Discussion section for posting this.]

Thanks

Got my DL about a year back, from Ghaziabad. They didn't have the facility for a smart cards then, so handed me a thin A4 sheet of paper with my photo on it... apparently *this* was my driving license. It has been a pain to maintain, and finally got it laminated a few days ago. Ghaziabad RTO does offer smart cards now, no idea about the fee though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zook09 (Post 2146289)
Hi,
I would like to know in which cities in U.P. (Uttar Pradesh), the RTO can issue the smart card (with or without embedded chip) or plastic card type license ?
How about Varanasi, Allahabad or Meerut ? And whats the fee for such conversion ?

[Moderators - please move this thread to correct section if this is not the correct section for such queries. I am new here and could not find a General Discussion section for posting this.]

Thanks

You get the Plastic (Credit card size) card Type of license in Lucknow , had my old paper license converted to the same about a month back .

Smart Cards chip embedded licenses and RC"s will be available in the Lucknow RTO within the next quarter i was told by the official

Laminated card type license fee is 200/- whereas the paper one costs 40/-.
Needless to say this is the official fee , the agents charge way more than this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rishab.k (Post 2146372)
Laminated card type license fee is 200/- whereas the paper one costs 40/-.
Needless to say this is the official fee , the agents charge way more than this.

I paid 350/- for the paper to Card conversion and i just took 1 day.

@ WBD,

I guess ,for a new license the agents charge you almost twice of what you paid for the conversion & that too for a paper one.

BTW, which RTO did you get this done from ?

Dont know about Smart Card but yes all RTO's in UP will give you the option of Booklet type DL or Plastic Card shape DL. Atleast this was offered to me when I went to get my DL. Ofcourse I chose card type for the convenience, despite being warned about relatively fragile card.

Thanks people for your responses.
Do these plastic cards have any electronically stored information like in a Magnetic strip ?

Nope - they are just a plastic card with embossed information - like a credit card minus the magnetic strip.

Their availability at a particular RTO office varies from time to time - Lucknow RTO had no stock of the plastic cards when I got my licence done.

Actually the issue of Smart Cards has been suspended and it is being transferred to some central agency. Earlier this was done by state agencies. In Goa it was Goa Electronics, a state govt enterprise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Live To Jive (Post 2148019)
Actually the issue of Smart Cards has been suspended and it is being transferred to some central agency. Earlier this was done by state agencies. In Goa it was Goa Electronics, a state govt enterprise.

This makes sense. I had got one Plastic Card issues around 5 years ago from Moradabad and lost it within 1 year. So when I re applied to get one, I was told that this service has been suspended and since then I have been using A4 Size Paper Driving License.

OT - I got my license issued in 1999 for 20 Rs only. :thumbs up

Transferring this to some central agency following a particular format of card would be beneficial and bring some regularity. But the problem would be implementing this all over the country will take more time. Will check with the RTO in my city about the status.