Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2010, 17:24   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Swift Diesel - Water Leak through front Windscreen and the following messup!!

At this point, I'm a bit puzzled. You've nicely embarrassed the two guys by showing the leak, which they now cannot deny. Why are you not keeping in touch with them?
Old 14th December 2010, 19:02   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Swift Diesel - Water Leak through front Windscreen and the following messup!!

^^Isn't it obvious? Sam is out to prove a point It doesn't really mater to him anymore that his leaky windshield is repaired or not, he wants the Maruti corporate machine to accept that they were lax in responding to his complaints.
Personally I don't see what's to be achieved through this strategy, but hey that's just me. Standing on matters of principle etc. always seem a lil strange to me
Old 14th December 2010, 19:38   #48
BHPian

Dear Sam
Phrases like "CUSTOMER IS THE KING" no "QUEEN", etc have no meaning in this part of the world / country. There is no point crying & making noise to get attention. Most of the the things work by way of pat / peck here in this point of the world. I'm one guy who goes to the extremes of short temper on the slightest of the provocations. But am just behaving the other way when it comes to the treatment of my VISTA at the TASS. I just get the treatment like a king (never returned withoiut a cuppa tea / coffe) whenever I go to my TASS & even occational calls from the SERVICE / SHOWROOM HEADS on the cars performance / any concerns if any, etc.

U just can't believe, I started speaking for them in a couple of cust meets (clearing the doubts of fella customers & offering solutions for their minor problems, etc).

For almost more than a monthh, there was a copy of my appreciative email sent to them on resolving a minor issue was displayed prominently in the service station.

My small piece of inputs,
1. Please be polite with the *** (for your own sake)
2. You may've to live with them till u change your car / brand
3. As a matter of fact, all ASSes are same
4. At least, these ppl are not stealing geniune parts

5.I'd've added more. Invite my fella countrymen to pump in their inputs
Old 14th December 2010, 19:48   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
^^Isn't it obvious? Sam is out to prove a point It doesn't really mater to him anymore that his leaky windshield is repaired or not, he wants the Maruti corporate machine to accept that they were lax in responding to his complaints.
Personally I don't see what's to be achieved through this strategy, but hey that's just me. Standing on matters of principle etc. always seem a lil strange to me
Its straight and simple boss, I NEED COMPENSATION FROM MARUTI for the all the embarrassment (due to recurring leak) and hardships I faced (trying to get in touch with them).

I dont wanna teach anyone in maruti any lesson. who am I to do that!!!
Old 14th December 2010, 20:11   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthwheel View Post
Dear Sam
Phrases like "CUSTOMER IS THE KING" no "QUEEN", etc have no meaning in this part of the world / country. There is no point crying & making noise to get attention. Most of the the things work by way of pat / peck here in this point of the world. I'm one guy who goes to the extremes of short temper on the slightest of the provocations. But am just behaving the other way when it comes to the treatment of my VISTA at the TASS. I just get the treatment like a king (never returned withoiut a cuppa tea / coffe) whenever I go to my TASS & even occational calls from the SERVICE / SHOWROOM HEADS on the cars performance / any concerns if any, etc.

U just can't believe, I started speaking for them in a couple of cust meets (clearing the doubts of fella customers & offering solutions for their minor problems, etc).

For almost more than a monthh, there was a copy of my appreciative email sent to them on resolving a minor issue was displayed prominently in the service station.

My small piece of inputs,
1. Please be polite with the *** (for your own sake)
2. You may've to live with them till u change your car / brand
3. As a matter of fact, all ASSes are same
4. At least, these ppl are not stealing geniune parts

5.I'd've added more. Invite my fella countrymen to pump in their inputs

FYI, I have been very very polite with the dealer till TODAY. Because Iam also worried if they will do some damage to my car if I go beyond a limit! Even the Cust head (A Lady), told me how decently Iam speaking unlike many other customers. BUT since morning, after they confirmed the leak at my home, they havent made a single call to me for any status updates. By evening I made 3 calls to that lady but she wasn't available. Tried in her cell too. So from tomorrow I think I have to change my style with dealer too.

With Maruti, as always, repeat, this is a big war. im feeling totally at sea when there is no response to my complaint email even after 24 hours, no one attending calls in Head office, No one to speak to in Regional Office apart from that stupid person whom I talked to.
Old 14th December 2010, 21:25   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

I sympathise with Sam. I'm about to have another (yes, another) run in with Axis bank because their internet banking won't run on my browser. I know in the end that they will wear me down and I won't even have the energy to close the account, because if I do, all I'll get is a shrug.

Life for the consumer in India is tough. We are expected to take all the risks. Funny thing, I always thought that was what business was about, taking the risk? Not here, apparently.

Sorry, Sam, I'm interrupting your thread with my rant now. Still, I'd say that someone you have got hold of is better than someone who doesn't answer your email. You might not be really satisfied, but getting your leak fixed is the priority.
Old 14th December 2010, 21:42   #52
Senior - BHPian

I read the first post & my reaction is - that you MAY have been sold a repaired car. Coz no how bad the Quality, windshields are stuck with adhesive nowadays - and there is no way I can imagine a leak happening there.

Cars that have turned turtle, may get this problem because of wrongly fitted windshields & BAD metal work.

Just my 2 cents

Hope I am wrong
Old 14th December 2010, 22:29   #53
BHPian

Maruti usually deals with the customer only through the dealer. In my case, when the dealer refused to change my clutch under warranty I registered a complaint with Maruti by calling their helpline. The next day, the dealer replaced it under warranty. Maruti has never got back to me on the issue. But I suspect that they have talked to the dealer on this.

Also, there will be faulty parts produced in any manufacturing line. And your car is under warranty. If you had gone and reproduced the issue for them to begin with they would either have to fix it or replace it under warranty. And this would have happened long back by now.

See, everybody is trying to do their job. In my experience shouting and getting angry will not help us in getting anywhere. Politely persisting with reason, and cooperating while making your stand is what best works for me.

ps- All this was written under the impression that I got from reading your posts and may not really be applicable.
Old 15th December 2010, 11:12   #54
Senior - BHPian

Talking to the dealer is of no use. Write to the head of customer care at Gurgaon. That is the ONLY way to get a solution.

Long back in 1995, I had an issue with a brand new Maruti 800, wrote to the Company after having no response from the dealer. Second day a team from Maruti came to my office looked at the car - chided the dealer rep who came with them & offered to change the defective fender (it was shoddily repainted) VOILA I had a new fender fitted in ONE day.

But that was in 1995. I am sure writing to the company will still work the same magic

Cheers
Old 15th December 2010, 11:38   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Sam, again just trying to understand some points.

You said you want to get compensation. Is that for the damaged [leaking] windshield?

You want to go to customer court? Whats the intention?

I guess the max the customer court can win you is a repair job; and yes - if you win the case.

I dont think there is any scope for a replacement in your case as the fault cannot lead to death or something [This is what I can think as of now, please share if you have additional points].

So just to get a repair done, why do you want to spend so much money and time? You could get it done from the dealer itself.

Also maruti is a volume player - I dont think you can expect the "Customer is King / Queen" behaviour from them! Maruti has the most wanted "trust" factor among the masses. And issues like yours is a one-off case.

If they treat it fair and nice, I would say its good - but If I were in your state, I would not even expect it in the first place.

And finally, I wrote all these with all due respect to you, your money & the car. So please don't think I am against your proceedings - I am just trying to share my views and correlate with your points.
Old 15th December 2010, 11:57   #56
BHPian

I appreciate the fact that Sam is thinking differently than many of us would. I am watching how the issue ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthwheel View Post
Dear Sam
Phrases like "CUSTOMER IS THE KING" no "QUEEN", etc have no meaning in this part of the world / country.
OT: I think you have not seen how other parts of the world works. There is always a level 1 contact for any customer issues and then an escalation path, which is clearly defined. Any customer bypassing the path could get ignored unless the stakes are high.
Old 15th December 2010, 12:14   #57
Team-BHP Support

Sam:

My family has been a longtime Maruti customer before we switched to Hyundai/Mahindra a couple of years ago (and Ford recently).

One thing I've noticed across the entire automotive service industry is you get better service if you get along. I say that because consumer rights are the last item on every business' priority list in India, and making noise never gets you anywhere, practically and legally.

The consumer court stuff will not go along the lines you seem to believe. All this 'I'll sue the damn company and make them pay for hardship' works in markets where consumer is protected by legislation, not India. As another poster mentioned above, the best you can get is repairs (provided you win the case), and it would be pretty long-winded. If you don't believe me, just refer to the Skoda case that one team-bhpian is fighting. His is a much more serious case, but the company just refuses to back off. Fighting for principles is all very good, but make sure you have what it takes to make it to the end. This can & probably will get nasty of you go that way.

In all this mess, one thing I've noticed is you've not been keen to visit the service station personally. No offence, but if you had taken a day off and taken your car personally, this might have been resolved long ago. You might be genuinely busy with work (we all are), but second-hand diagnosis will only get you second-hand treatment/resolution.

And remember one thing about service. You might talk to all the bosses you want, but end of the day, it's the mechanic in the workshop who'll repair your car, not the bosses in the head-offices. Take a day off, go personally, demonstrate your issue, and get it fixed. Trust me, it will take much less effort than what you've already spent on this issue.

Good luck.
Old 15th December 2010, 15:42   #58
BHPian

Thanks for the last 3-4 posts guys. I appreciate that.

See, what Iam pointing to here is, when a customer has an issue with the dealer what is he supposed to do? Isn't it a common thing to look upto the original company? That is exactly what I did, but though I didn't get any backing/support from Maruti.

Just imagine the situation when you call up Maruti Blore Regional Office and the receptionist says EVERYONE in the service section has gone to Delhi for a training and hence there is no one I can speak to (I have recording of that). Next I call up head office delhi/gurgaon and the service department is not picking my call at all!! Are these to be dealt with an aggressive stand or not?

My case, the second time I gave it for repair, there wasn't even 1% help from Maruti. A Regional Office personnel had promised that he would personally inspect my car but the same day he flew to Delhi and his phone was then on his cell was unreachable! Whole of the second repair attempt was EXCLUSIVE to the dealer with zero Maruti interference.

So overall, what I am I supposed to do? Tell me guys is this approad/attitude of Maruti right?

I very well know there is no point going legally since today evening I will get my car back after the glass beeding replaced (this is as per dealer. Got the info when I called the Dealer, they didn't call me last two days either). But then someone should answer why this happened with MSIL. For that only I had sent a 2nd email to the very same email id's of Maruti right from Pankaj Narula (Chief General Manager, Service) to Customer care email. Still the result is the same ===> NO RESPONSE absolutely. Atleast if one person had called I wouldn't have been so complacent.

Tomorrow this can happen to you guys... This was an effort from my side to make atleast some arrogant people in Maruti, better. For example one guy at the Regional Office who was more inclined to support the dealer (they couldn't trace the leak) than trusting the customers words when I said car does leak! And finally I had to show them the leak and ever since he hasn't dared to call me!

Lastly, I have ran out of ways to bring MSIL to justice and people say legal way wouldn't win either :( I am doomed!

PS: I have got in touch with Autocarindia and they have asked me to forward them the details which I did. Also I have mailed overdrive and some other magazines as per a team-bhians advice. Lets see if that helps.

Note: My boss has suggested to take all these details printed and send a hardcopy to MSIL and then see if something happens. He says that is a better thing to do than going legally as a first step.

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 15th December 2010 at 15:45.
Old 15th December 2010, 16:37   #59
BHPian

Sam, I truly understand your feelings and stress you have gone through.
But like many people here mentioned, nothing like this would have happened if your approach was different.
First of all, from your posts, I understand that you never went to the service center personally. You showed the problem only to their driver who came for pickup. Second time also it was a similar incident where you explained things to the people who came to your place. After that you were expecting people to call you which didnt happen.

If I was at your place, on seeing the leak, first thing I would do is to take it personally to the service centre. I will be assigned a service advisor to whom I will show it and who is qualified enough to understand the problem. I leave the car there for fixing it. I do the follow up with the SA and dont expect people to inform me the status everytime. Finally when it is fixed I go and take my car back.

Now even after this the problem persists, I call up the SA again and will give it one more try. Ideally things should be settled by now.
Again if the problem comes, I will try to give it to a different service centre.

Now if all this fails, I will start writing to MSIL officials and post in T-BHP. But in your case, you did it as the first step i feel.
But its your way of working and I have no issues with it
Old 15th December 2010, 18:08   #60
Team-BHP Support

Sam:

Your feelings are completely understandable, and you're definitely not the only person who's going through such an experience.

Almost all of us have had an issue with the service guys at one time or another, and one thing almost everyone will tell you is there's no substitute for taking a personal interest and paying a visit to the service center. I have some of my own battle scars from close to 2 decades of car ownership in my family. I'm sure all of us do.

Your car deserves your personal attention. Company-bashing (however genuine), won't get you anywhere in India, unfortunately.

So its your call whether you want to feel good that you prevailed over the manufacturer in an argument, or you want to get the issue fixed without further hassle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks