Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2012, 14:26   #451
BHPian

Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Depending on whom you are talking to, there are 2 schools of thought:
  • Cross overs are the worst of both the words, they are neither here not there
  • Crossovers are the best compromise and bring the traits of both SUVs and Sedans (it would be wrong to say they bring the best of both worlds)
Duster diesel claims an ARAI mielage of 20.46 Kmpl as against 22.9 Kmpl for Swift diesel. That makes cross-overs pretty fuel-efficient. So i wouldn't say its the best "compromise"

Others with more details can please enlighten on cross-overs vs Sedan.
Moderators, is it more appropriate to start a separate thread for the same?
Old 16th September 2012, 10:10   #452
BHPian

A nice article on SUVs in Economic Times. Think it is a good read:http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/16412510.cms
sarthakgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2012, 16:07   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
A nice article on SUVs in Economic Times. Think it is a good read:http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/16412510.cms

Read it. A complete waste of my time!!! Economic times just like its parent the Toilet Paper of India (TOI) recycles garbage it trolls from online newspapers, changes names to Indian names and prints them out!! The reader's comments below the article are more useful and interesting.
Old 16th September 2012, 16:30   #454
BHPian

Wow, never knew the reasons I love my Endy - all those attributes of insecure dim witted desk bound city dwellers I thought it was the ability to glide over terrible roads, the hassle free driving in the city, the stability and comfort on the highways, the ability to take along not just my family, but a couple more too, and the thrill of being able to climb a small hill now and then.

Now that I have bought one though, I no longer want to be self assured and smart and drive a sedan!
Old 16th September 2012, 17:09   #455
BHPian

I'm not an SUV guy but frankly speaking I see why SUVs are popular in India. Our roads are in a pathetic state, people are rude and might is right attitude is seen everywhere in India. With all that in mind, I'd feel safer in an SUV than a sedan or a hatchback.
My hatchbacks suspension has, for example, taken more beatings in the last 1 year in Gurgaon than it did in the 4 previous years. I'm do for a lower arm replacement already. I'd feel better in a Safari or an XUV in Gurgaon anyday.
Old 16th September 2012, 17:35   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta
Nice :o

Whoa, All of a sudden I am feeling so inadequate. I guess the author is suffering from verbal Diarrhea, otherwise how can one write such mindless drivel.

Soccermoms what soccermons, i really want to know how many soccermoms drive SUV in India? BTW how many soccermoms are in India? I have always found male of the house doing driver duties most of the times or he just copy pasted article from some US mag?

I guess its same everwhere, your pom owning neighbour will comment same if you have a german shepard, pulsar owners will say same for bullet owners and the list goes on.

Haters will always be haters no matter what

-Ijeet

Last edited by ijeet : 16th September 2012 at 17:36.
Old 16th September 2012, 18:44   #457
BHPian

As a 2 time SUV owner I want to say that, that, is the dumbest article I have come across. The article did go a little overboard in my opinion though.

That said given the fact that 4wd versions of the Safari and Scorpio barely sell, is in part, testament to the fact that a lot of (not all) people are buying an SUV for it's image and not purpose.
Let's face it how many Auto mags or even team-bhp reviews actually give us approach, departure or ramp break-over angles for the SUV's tested. I had tried searching for the Scorpio's stats but was unsuccessful. Hell its not even mentioned in the product brochure. Not that it hampers my usage but it's just a stat I'd like to know.
Old 16th September 2012, 23:09   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Roadie View Post
As a 2 time SUV owner I want to say that, that, is the dumbest article I have come across. The article did go a little overboard in my opinion though.
Its a terrible article alright. The author is confused whether the audience is in US or India. The reasons for buying an SUV is very different in these geographies. In the US fuel cost does not matter and anyone who wants more space buys it. So called soccer moms like it because they can go to Shoprite only once a month and they can see the bonnet! I got this info first hand from an american lady.

In India, unfortunately only the rich and/or powerful had been able to afford these and hence the association of SUVs with image/status.

Recently, however, with the compact SUVs which are affordable and fuel efficient, a new segment is being created, and hence the popularity, something which the article failed to focus on.
suchit23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 08:31   #459
Team-BHP Support

^^I guess its best not to spend time debating on articles like this. At times these journalists take these terms (like soccer moms, hairdresser’s car etc.) too seriously, even though it has zero relevance in our market.
Old 18th September 2012, 03:17   #460
BHPian

That article makes no sense. As VB_san pointed out, it is pointless to debate on the Article.

Although I am not a big fan of SUV's they sure do make sense considering the pathetic state of roads that we have today. Everytime i hear the thud from my Laura vRS suspension while going through an unsuspecting pothole, I can understand why some people prefer SUV's.

Strangely enough, I'd prefer to have an SUV in the city for the state of roads in Bangalore and a sedan on the highway for those corners. Weird? I know - But makes sense to me.
Old 18th September 2012, 05:45   #461
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Totally agree with ijeet and vbsan
This particular journo appears to have written the article simply for the sake of writing. However some of the points are valid and to be respected.
Usage of descriptors and comparisons which are irrelevant here in India abound in the article.
And of course all these opinions are liberally garnished with hate and envy.
Typical!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 18th September 2012 at 05:47.
Old 18th September 2012, 07:29   #462
BHPian

One good thing about big SUVs is that they are 'psychologically' intimidating. While on highways or even city roads it just takes one or two horn blows to clear the roads in front of you. Small cars make way seeing a Safari or Scorpio behind. Even the lazy to respond trucks take SUVs more seriously than tiny hatches or sedans. I love that commanding feel.
Old 18th September 2012, 08:18   #463
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
One good thing about big SUVs is that they are 'psychologically' intimidating. While on highways or even city roads it just takes one or two horn blows to clear the roads in front of you. Small cars make way seeing a Safari or Scorpio behind. Even the lazy to respond trucks take SUVs more seriously than tiny hatches or sedans. I love that commanding feel.
Sorry, I find this physiological advantage thing so wrong. In my experience, most of the regular guys who drive big SUVs adhere to road manners, and treat their car (and fellow road-users) with respect. But a few take this ‘own the road’ feeling a bit too seriously.

If I see someone like that closing in, I immediately give way – not because of respect, but for my own safety. It’s the same feeling / action when an unruly truck or those notorious private buses (very common in Kerala) appears in my RVM.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 08:41   #464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even the lazy to respond trucks take SUVs more seriously than tiny hatches or sedans.
Hardly ! That loaded, lazy-to-respond truck, will continue to drive in the right lane of the highway at it's own speed. You have a faster vehicle ? Then go ahead, over take from the left. You can continue to honk all you want asking him to move to the left and let you pass, but you will soon run out of patience. It is much quicker, easier & simpler to just overtake him from the left ..

Before I forget, that's about highway driving. At other times, it's still quite likely that he will not move, and still simpler to just over take from the left (or right if there is space)
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 09:54   #465
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This, if you will forgive my bluntness, is the typical statement made by a consumer who is in the "yet-to-evolve" stage.
It is also the underlying basis of the current state of our society -where "power and size rules, sheer intimidation is the order of the day and might is right" and the devil take the hind-most.
As a country we are still an immature set of people when it comes to the usage of power - whether it be in the form of political sway over people or in a vehicle or anywhere else.
We have yet to learn "responsibility" by and large and this will only come with true education, good manners and the development of a "caring" society - and this, I may say, will only happen once we move away from being the "me-first", blindly acquisitive, greedy, plundering creatures that we have become!

Quote:
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks