Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2010, 08:39   #121
Senior - BHPian

The bove few posts have completely gone Off Topic.

The topic was which one, amongst Sedans and SUVs, is a better buy. I think we have the whole forum here polarized between the two sides. I for one, prefer an SUV. Period.

It might be a good idea to collect some votes through a poll, to see how the numbers stack up.
Old 27th November 2010, 09:31   #122

When I was looking at buying a new car - I had the same dilemma. I wanted a good sedan since I drive a lot in the city and the Mumbai - Pune Expressway. At the same time in many state highways the roads are simply terrible. I settled for the Maruti Suzuki SX4, since I could get Sedan like qualities with a good ground clearance and suspension. I have had the car for 3 years and have driven on some really bad roads like the BPT Road in Mumbai and the Tamhini Ghat near Pune and I have always been pleasantly surprised at the car's ground clearance, suspension and handling. I believe this is one sedan which has what it takes to tackle the reality of our country's roads.
Old 27th November 2010, 10:28   #123
BHPian

Happy with SUV

I am very happy with my Safari which I have been driving for the past 2 years with around 45K on the Odo.

Having driven hatches and sedans earlier, I find the SUV better suited for Indian roads. It is true that one has to compromise on handling, especially when taking a sharp curve. But why should one expect the SUV's handling to be as good as a car which has a lower CG. A mature driver will never take a curve at high speed anyway.

0-100 timing is not a consideration for me. A second here and there really doesn't make a major difference. I get an average of 11.5 - 12.3 kmpl in city with 100% aircon, and I think that is a good FE for a 2 tonner.

Safari provides good driving and passenger comfort. Yes, you can complain about your left knee being a little sore after negotiating Mumbai traffic in the peak hours, but to avoid that one needs to choose an AT.

My vote goes to an SUV.
Old 27th November 2010, 11:55   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
IMO there's no variation of driving style between a sedan and SUV. Those who actually change their driving style from car to car must be extremely lucky, but a safe driver WILL continue to drive safe whether in a sedan or SUV - and a bad driver will continue to drive equally badly in either type of vehicle. Only difference is, in an SUV, a bad driver will manage to terrorise other road users more easily than in a sedan.
I agree with you. It is difficult to switch driving styles. What I had in mind when I shared my opinion is - I switch between an automatic and a stick shift (without any difficulty), and between a 4 wheeler and 2 wheeler too. Each vehicle in some sense demands one to make those adjustments.

However, what I had in mind earlier when I posted was - I have seen sedan drivers who really get under the skin of the vehicle, a few more so than others. I am reasoning it to their comfort with the vehicle behaviour (turning, response, braking, etc) so much so that they trust their vehicle to behave very precisely. People of this sort (sedan-at-heart) are who perhaps are better off with sedans was my point. As for me, I reasoned that I drive my WagonR like an SUV-at-heart. So maybe I should actually look for an SUV that also offers all those things GTO pointed out. For a moment, even if I was say magically gifted an equally expensive sedan, I might still drive it SUV style, as you mentioned. Not only would I not be pushing the sedan to its limits, also feel uncomfortable for the lack of view, seating position, so low, etc. I get the vague sense that I am going to put my foot in my mouth if I go on. I really would go back to GTO's opening post. If thats a 'conclusion' I like it!
Old 27th November 2010, 22:51   #125
Senior - BHPian

Not every sedan is a highway performer. Sedans like Corolla Altis Diesel (85 BHP) will have a tough time catching up with Safari(140 BHP)/Scorpio(112 BHP). In fact I wonder if it can. Ok, let us not talk about Chevy Cruze here. This is one sedan which can leave every SUV up to 40 lakhs in dust.

Also regarding cornering abilities of SUVs, I have seen Safaris/Scorpios cornering at 110-120, albeit with a little body-roll, Scorpio rolling more than Safari, but they pull it off alright.

Last edited by pgsagar : 27th November 2010 at 22:53.
Old 27th November 2010, 23:28   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Also regarding cornering abilities of SUVs, I have seen Safaris/Scorpios cornering at 110-120, albeit with a little body-roll, Scorpio rolling more than Safari, but they pull it off alright.
Sorry, but what point are you trying to put across.
Old 27th November 2010, 23:42   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
IMO there's no variation of driving style between a sedan and SUV.
Driving style can change, not between safe and unsafe, but how you move. I drive an auto Santro, manual GV and Jeep alternatively. In the Santro I am very sedate, there is no other choice. But in the GV or Jeep, I tend to ignore the imperfections of the road, which may look aggressive to normal people.

Quote:
Ok, let us not talk about Chevy Cruze here. This is one sedan which can leave every SUV up to 40 lakhs in dust.
It depends on where, in the highways I frequent every so often, my Jeep can leave even a Chevy Cruze in whole lot of dust. Last week as I was driving to Bangalore, I was able to pass literally every vehicle between Balehonnur and Chikmagalur. And I was running-in my newly engine overhauled Jeep. Karnataka's ghat roads are a great equalizer.

Quote:
That can only happen in corners with proper banking, which is pretty rare in traditional highways of India. Without banking, no SUV can escape body-roll.
Old 28th November 2010, 08:09   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO there's no variation of driving style between a sedan and SUV. Those who actually change their driving style from car to car must be extremely lucky, but a safe driver WILL continue to drive safe whether in a sedan or SUV - and a bad driver will continue to drive equally badly in either type of vehicle. Only difference is, in an SUV, a bad driver will manage to terrorise other road users more easily than in a sedan.
Having driven a Corolla & Civic in the US for 4 years and a Palio and Santro here in Delhi for another 5 years, I was a bit intimidated by our family's decision to switch to an Innova - which was primarily because
a) we needed more space on the move, and
b) I hated scraping the underbelly on roads damaged by landslides.

The first thing, I noticed having bought the Innova was the body-roll when on curved roads at higher speeds. In fact, when it happened - I did not know what it was called, until I was informed of the phenomenon by the Gurus here at T-BHP.

Since then I have adopted a more sedate style when in the Innova i.e. not going over 70 kmph, staying in lane, watching mirrors, pausing/stopping before the turns etc. I think this happened to me because to me Innova is a very expensive vehicle, so a tad bit of careful consideration has resulted in 0 dents/dings so far.

I don't think, this necessarily happens when I am in the Santro though. It is as if, the nimbleness of this little goat, eggs me on to do things, I would not dream of doing in the Innova. e.g. somewhat more frequent lane changes. Note this is not something out of the ordinary-others who drive similar cars, also do the same things in greater or lesser measure.

Why is this change in driving style?

IMHO one's driving style while largely determined by frame of mind & driving experience could also be somewhat constrained by the vehicle's ability and it's price.

Other things being equal (experience/frame of mind), if the price is affordable (affordability depends on the individual), and the vehicle is able to support one's need for speed, chances are high that one will go for a more agressive driving style.

Last edited by joybhowmik : 28th November 2010 at 08:27.
Old 28th November 2010, 09:05   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not every sedan is a highway performer. Sedans like Corolla Altis Diesel (85 BHP) will have a tough time catching up with Safari(140 BHP)/Scorpio(112 BHP). In fact I wonder if it can. Ok, let us not talk about Chevy Cruze here. This is one sedan which can leave every SUV up to 40 lakhs in dust.

A scorpio is 120 bhp.

IMO, when you compare SUVs with some sedans in a straight line, they are quite evenly matched but come corners, i do feel a sedan has its advantage. An SUV may pull off the corner at high speed but thats with loads of understeer & its very risky, unless you are driving a Cayenne or X6, in that case, it should be compared to 5 series or A6!

Disclaimer: I like SUVs!
Old 28th November 2010, 10:26   #130
BHPian

I, along with 6 of my office colleagues, and my daughter, took a 250 km half day round trip to Nighoj from Pune yesterday, in my Endy. And while many sedans could have tried to beat the Endy's time on the 75 km stretch of the Pune - Shirur stretch, there is no way it would come even close to what we could manage on the rest of the rapidly deteriorating roads. On the Parner - Nighoj section, we had a couple of cases where the tarmac simply ends at the edge of a very gravelly and fast flowing stream to emerge on the other end. A sedan would probably still manage it - but my heart would be in my mouth and we'd probably be back home battered and rattled. And of course, we wouldn't really be a gang - you cannot fit 8 screaming adults in a sedan.

As they say, the sedans can give you some happiness. But for everything else, you need an SUV
Old 28th November 2010, 11:14   #131
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i dont think it is sensible to compare cornering speeds between the sedan and SUV.
i would say it is downright silly for an SUV driver to try and corner the same way that a sedan would - unless of course the overwhelming urge is to turn turtle.
Old 28th November 2010, 11:55   #132
Senior - BHPian

I bought my Scorpio to move 7 people down to the coastal areas through all types of roads. Having said that, for trips with less people, I obviously take out my Ikon, since I feel a bit safer in the Ikon on winding roads, provided the road is reasonably crater free.

It's not cornering that worries me in my SUV, I do this quite sedately.

I am more worried about the subconscious / reflex swerving input to the steering wheel that I might be forced to give to my Scorpio at high speeds on a highway, if a careless biker or drunk pedestrian materialised from nowhere. In such a situation, my Ikon might withstand the swerve, whereas the SUV might roll over, as in the case of my office colleague's vehicle a couple of years ago on NH 48. His family was lucky to escape with minor injuries. This is the reason I never exceed 90 to 100 kmph in my Scorp.
Old 28th November 2010, 12:43   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
I am more worried about the subconscious / reflex swerving input to the steering wheel that I might be forced to give to my Scorpio at high speeds on a highway, if a careless biker or drunk pedestrian materialised from nowhere. In such a situation, my Ikon might withstand the swerve, whereas the SUV might roll over
I have had a couple of scary moments in my Endy on highways at high speeds when a bad rump in the road has made the SUV jump, the strong suspension leading to a loss of grip on the road... stuff that never happened to me in over 15 years of zipping in my sedans...

I haven't had issues on corners yet, and checking out videos of some of the crazy things we have done assures me that so far, the Endy has been far from turning over
Old 28th November 2010, 14:36   #134
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

absolutely correct. Never clip at more than 100-110MAX Kmph in your Scorp on highways and you will be guaranteed a comfortable, safe drive. After all the journey is as important as the destination!

And ref cornering - 100%, always drive an SUV on the twisties, winding hill roads and hair pin bends with due respect being given to its innately higher centre of gravity in comparison to a sedan/ sports car/hatch.

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
I am more worried about the subconscious / reflex swerving input to the steering wheel that I might be forced to give to my Scorpio at high speeds on a highway, if a careless biker or drunk pedestrian materialised from nowhere. In such a situation, my Ikon might withstand the swerve, whereas the SUV might roll over. This is the reason I never exceed 90 to 100 kmph in my Scorp.
Old 28th November 2010, 23:10   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Sorry, but what point are you trying to put across.
My point is SUVs are NOT far behind even through corners. I have seen Safaris/Scorpios cornering at 110-120 kph without much body roll. Now I am not discussing the sanity of pulling off such a feat. That is a different issue. I am only talking about their capabilities. I, for one, would never do such a thing. Because I respect laws of physics. Once, when we were returning form a wedding in my friend's Octavia, a Safari guy was permanently glued to our tail through straights and through corners. Octy was doing 140-150 down straights and 110-120 thorugh corners. I was surprised to see him do the same. And since I was not driving, I swung around and looked at it through rear glass and saw it almost vertical through corners, no visible signs of lean-over or two wheels lifting etc., although I am not sure how the guy in safari felt but I noticed no bodyroll. The point is sedans are superior; I do not deny. But whether one likes it or not, SUVs can do ALMOST what a sedan can. But over speedbreakers and through rough roads, a sedan CANNOT do as good as an SUV can.

BTW, I own a sedan, too, a Lancer, and I love it for everything it does except its propensity to scrape its underbelly/bumpers on speedbreakers and through dug-up roads, of which there is no dearth. So, I have decided on Safari and in all probability, I will drive one out of showroom, come Jan.11. Hope that explains it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks