Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2011, 23:00   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Spotted: All new TUCSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
The Hyundais are doing pretty well with their other models , the international ones . Look at the Equus or the Elantra or the Hyundai Veloster , Veloster is such a radical design . Its a 3 door car , something no one else has ...

Even if they look same I believe they have really improved from what they were just a few years ago . Look at the older sonata or accent but the new models are so appealing and at a fraction of price with all the bells and whistles .
No doubt about the way the newer Hyundai look bro, I love the new Verna too But I feel that the fluidic design will lose its sheen fas if it is over used. Take for the example the over fluidified Eon. To me, IMHO it looks a bit molten! So I prefer they use a different design language for hatches, sedans and SUVs instead. No offence or hatred towards the Hyundai's stunning new design direction here.
Old 5th October 2011, 23:46   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Then what is it doing in Delhi? that too with a temp registration! Beats me.

I agree . Why would this car be in Delhi?? Is it possible that its been imported for a Hyundai official or the Korean Embassy?
Old 6th October 2011, 01:23   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I agree . Why would this car be in Delhi?? Is it possible that its been imported for a Hyundai official or the Korean Embassy?
Being in Delhi, I guess you already know, Embassy cars usually have a white(numbers/letters) on blue(bg) registration plate, with the format - xx CD xx.

I doubt if this is a embassy car. But again, since it's on temp reg can't be 100% sure.

I like the design though.
Old 6th October 2011, 01:47   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Being in Delhi, I guess you already know, Embassy cars usually have a white(numbers/letters) on blue(bg) registration plate, with the format - xx CD xx.

I doubt if this is a embassy car. But again, since it's on temp reg can't be 100% sure.

I like the design though.
Its not a embassy car. Embassy cars are numbered on yellow/white base with black writing and is in the format XX CC XXXX. Also its just not any other temporary registration. Usually the temporary redg. of the cars we purchase (before being registered) are with red base written in white and the format MH 02 TCF 1234 depending on the state the car is destined to.... So is that car a test vehicle, here for a long endurance test before its officially launched??
Old 6th October 2011, 07:17   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekhar_gogoi

Its not a embassy car. Embassy cars are numbered on yellow/white base with black writing and is in the format XX CC XXXX. Also its just not any other temporary registration. Usually the temporary redg. of the cars we purchase (before being registered) are with red base written in white and the format MH 02 TCF 1234 depending on the state the car is destined to.... So is that car a test vehicle, here for a long endurance test before its officially launched??
OT: I have never seen a embassy car with yellow or white bg. In Delhi mostly the bg is blue and the letters are in white. Format is <digits>CD<digits>. In addition to the embassy cars, UN vehicles also have same number plates - they use UN in lieu of CD.

Isn't this uniform across India? Where did you spot these yellow/white bg number plates?
Old 6th October 2011, 07:57   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
The car is headed to Bhutan via Kolkata that's all. It's not on test in India. It looks nice and Hyundai would have done better had they launched this than 'the Old gen' Santa Fe. It would have been cheaper and better seller with the fluidic treatment. From the rear with its wide haunches it looks like a 'Cayene'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revved_up View Post
Then what is it doing in Delhi? that too with a temp registration! Beats me.
This one does not seem to be heading to Bhutan definitely and is temp registered in Delhi! The ones which I have seen in Sikkim , which were headed for Bhutan, all have Red number plates with Temp Bhutan numbers and are driven to Bhutan by the road from Sikkim. This one looks like one of the pre-launch / display units for the Auto Expo. Hyundai had been contemplating to launch this for a long time, but ended up launching the Santa Fe instead - it's high time now that they launch this, as the Indian market has matured now to accept these cross-overs!
Old 6th October 2011, 10:16   #67
Senior - BHPian

@ All: I was referring to the pic of goel.honey on page 1 that had a red BTN temp registration on it.
Old 6th November 2011, 20:15   #68
BHPian

I saw a lot of new Tucsons in Dubai last week. Here is a pic that I took of one standing in my hotel parking.

So this is how it looks from the front..

Spotted: All new TUCSON-dsc_1792.jpg

Its been quite a while I spotted one in Delhi with Temp registration, any idea when it is getting launched?
Old 7th November 2011, 15:38   #69
BHPian

Spotted this for the Third Time at Nehru Place with Bhutan Plates.

Lousy pic quality courtesy iPhone 3g
Attached Thumbnails
Spotted: All new TUCSON-img_0187.jpg  

Spotted: All new TUCSON-img_0188.jpg  

Spotted: All new TUCSON-img_0189.jpg  

Spotted: All new TUCSON-img_0190.jpg  

Spotted: All new TUCSON-img_0191.jpg  

Spotted: All new TUCSON-img_0193.jpg  

Spotted: All new TUCSON-img_0195.jpg  

Spotted: All new TUCSON-img_0196.jpg  

Spotted: All new TUCSON-img_0197.jpg  

Spotted: All new TUCSON-img_0194.jpg  

car_crazy1400 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 15:45   #70
Team-BHP Support

I sincerely hope that the Ecosport,Duster and Yeti succeed, so that forces more players
to come into the compact X-over market.

A Tuscon with 1.6 Diesel engine with and 11-15L OTR price tag would be an ideal product for an Indian market.
Old 7th November 2011, 16:05   #71
Team-BHP Support

Alright, let's see.

Hyundai had launched two SUVs in the past. And another one quite recently. The Tucson, the Terrican and the Santa Fe. All of them have done quite badly here. The old Tucson initially caused a stir. Much like what the current Santa Fe did. But the end result shows that India are just not able to digest expensive cars from Hyundai.

So with that kind of history, do you think Hyundai might consider introducing this new Tucson? It might sell. In fact, it will sell decently. But just like what happened to the Honda CRV, it's going to fizzle out. And mind you, it took some time for the CRV to fizzle out. I won't be surprised if the Tucson fizzles out even quicker.
Old 7th November 2011, 17:08   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Alright, let's see.

Hyundai had launched two SUVs in the past. And another one quite recently. The Tucson, the Terrican and the Santa Fe. All of them have done quite badly here. The old Tucson initially caused a stir. Much like what the current Santa Fe did. But the end result shows that India are just not able to digest expensive cars from Hyundai
So with that kind of history, do you think Hyundai might consider introducing this new Tucson? It might sell. In fact, it will sell decently. But just like what happened to the Honda CRV, it's going to fizzle out. And mind you, it took some time for the CRV to fizzle out. I won't be surprised if the Tucson fizzles out even quicker.
Santa Fe is doing quite well for itself. CRV fizzled out because it is Petrol and there is no diesel option available in it. If I remember clearly, ACI had spotted Diesel CRV in India; Honda later clarified that they do not want to introduce a diesel car in India as Indian diesel is not good for their cars!
Old 7th November 2011, 17:46   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Santa Fe is doing quite well for itself. CRV fizzled out because it is Petrol and there is no diesel option available in it. If I remember clearly, ACI had spotted Diesel CRV in India; Honda later clarified that they do not want to introduce a diesel car in India as Indian diesel is not good for their cars!
The CRV caused quite a stir in the SUV segment when it was launched a few years ago. It sold quite well, despite being available only with a petrol engine. In comparison, Hyundai's Santa Fe's sales figures are dismal. They've managed about 190 units in October, and it's been the same story for the SUV, except in August when it went past the 200 mark.

The Toyota Fortuner, in comparison, has sold not less than 600 units a month, for the past six months. It has even managed to clock four-figures a few times. That's great for a car that costs 25 lakhs! Even the Ford Endeavour, despite being around for ages now, clocks 200+ units every month and regularly too.

The diesel CRV was in the pipeline for quite some time. You're right. ACI had spotted a CRV diesel doing the rounds, but that was ages ago, and we haven't heard from Honda about it yet. A diesel car in the Jap stable could help matters for Honda, when it comes to out-right sales.
Old 7th November 2011, 18:02   #74
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So with that kind of history, do you think Hyundai might consider introducing this new Tucson? It might sell. In fact, it will sell decently.
That is the exact reason they need to re-package it in a different avatar as I mentioned
earlier. 1.6L diesel (they already have it). If possible try to integrate it to the Verna platform (like the Fiesta)
and take advantage. That way they can keep the prices down and also play the VFM angle.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 19:39   #75
BHPian

Quote:
The CRV caused quite a stir in the SUV segment when it was launched a few years ago. It sold quite well, despite being available only with a petrol engine. In comparison, Hyundai's Santa Fe's sales figures are dismal. They've managed about 190 units in October, and it's been the same story for the SUV, except in August when it went past the 200 mark.

The Toyota Fortuner, in comparison, has sold not less than 600 units a month, for the past six months. It has even managed to clock four-figures a few times. That's great for a car that costs 25 lakhs! Even the Ford Endeavour, despite being around for ages now, clocks 200+ units every month and regularly too.

The diesel CRV was in the pipeline for quite some time. You're right. ACI had spotted a CRV diesel doing the rounds, but that was ages ago, and we haven't heard from Honda about it yet. A diesel car in the Jap stable could help matters for Honda, when it comes to out-right sales.

suhaas307, CRV sold well in days when it was smartly priced and the Diesel- petrol gap was not so wide. The Santa Fe has sold well since its introduction, and reports say Hyundai initially were surprised by the demand. All CBU SUVs- Captiva, X Trail, CRV, Outlander- have sales figures similar to or worse than the Santa Fe. The Endeavour has a distinct price advantage, but its sales figures are not correspondingly great- compare those with the gradpa Pajero's figures which for God's sake is sold by HM! The Toyota Fortuner, I agree, is a different story, but buyer interest in it is as not high as the early days, if you notice.

Regarding the Tucson, I wonder whether Hyundai would ever introduce it here, since the price- size ratio is not in its favour. But who knows, Hyundai might just be emboldened by the response to the Santa Fe!
Yeldo is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed