Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2010, 08:42   #16
BHPian

Thanks for the instructions Archon.
This spreadsheet is absolutely brilliant, one of the most useful things I've come across since classicselva's fuel tracker.
Old 29th November 2010, 12:37   #17
BHPian

fantastic effort.
the real utility is the way the user can change the settings.
Old 29th November 2010, 15:25   #18
BHPian

Great effort, I wanted to make one such excel for my personal use (but was bogged down by the sheer effort involved).

I personally found using the "Base Data" sheet with filters an easier way to filter out cars based on features that are a clear No-No or a clear Yes-Yes.

For example, if I want to look at only petrol cars, I am not able to do that in the "Rankings" sheet (or can someone hint how to do that). Additionally, if I select "Petrol" + "Bluetooth Connectivity" (both Yes-Yes for me) in "Base data" sheet, list is shortlisted to 3 cars!

But, If I want to compare looking at all features; some of which I might want to forego if I get "x" factor in the other car, then for comparison, the "Ranking" sheet is perfect.

Why don;t you "unprotect" the sheet an upload it (open source ) and then we can modify as required (if you don't mind)

EDIT: I have given a 4 star rating to the thread.

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 29th November 2010 at 15:27.
Old 29th November 2010, 18:08   #19
mgh
BHPian

also useful if you are considering preowned cars- change the prices to reflect
shows what GTO means when he says best VFM lies in preowned cars!
Old 29th November 2010, 21:11   #20
BHPian

Thanks all As I said earlier, If I can finalize this sheet and get data for sedans I will create another for that too (given time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
However with moving times, there's one more hatch that needs to be added - The Vista 90 that was missing during the time when Smartcat listed out the ready reckoner.

Also, I feel something better can be done on this. Not that its no good, its excellent, however, something needs to be done to make the choices much easier. That's what I feel.

May be the layout, adding some buttons to recalculate or stressing the importance etc. The advantage of the button to recalculate is that, Excel allows the values to increase in the data entry cell to any limit even when the totals exceed 100, but on clicking the button, it should display an appropriate message. Pls do this at your discreetion & time, as its only a nice to have feature.
If someone can provide me the unbiased data on Vista 90, will surely put that in.
I guess the Settings page can be overwhelming. Still trying to think of ways to make it simpler. As far as the message is concerned, I can modify the popup which comes, to say that the value you have entered is making the total exceed 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
fantastic effort.
the real utility is the way the user can change the settings.
Yeah, to each is own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Great effort, I wanted to make one such excel for my personal use (but was bogged down by the sheer effort involved).

I personally found using the "Base Data" sheet with filters an easier way to filter out cars based on features that are a clear No-No or a clear Yes-Yes.

For example, if I want to look at only petrol cars, I am not able to do that in the "Rankings" sheet (or can someone hint how to do that). Additionally, if I select "Petrol" + "Bluetooth Connectivity" (both Yes-Yes for me) in "Base data" sheet, list is shortlisted to 3 cars!

But, If I want to compare looking at all features; some of which I might want to forego if I get "x" factor in the other car, then for comparison, the "Ranking" sheet is perfect.

Why don;t you "unprotect" the sheet an upload it (open source ) and then we can modify as required (if you don't mind)

Sure will remove the passwords and upload

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh View Post
also useful if you are considering preowned cars- change the prices to reflect
shows what GTO means when he says best VFM lies in preowned cars!
Exactly! The full utility of this sheet can only be had when you change the base data.

I am also thinking of creating a wishlist for this workbook going forward, the feasibility of which I will evaluate in time. My wishlist is as follows (others are free to add to this):
  1. Filter and rank cars based on Petrol/Diesel & Price range (I believe something like this was what vasanth was referring to)
  2. Adding all variants for each car at all price points (data collection for this is something I cannot do though)
  3. Pre-defined settings to choose from (e.g. Performance oriented, VFM etc) to ease initial pain of manual settings
  4. (This is actually ambitious) Incorporating subjective parameters like exteriors, ride/handling, A.S.S. into the rankings
Would love to know what BHPians think about this.
Old 29th November 2010, 22:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
If I can get unbiased hard data on ride/handling (which I doubt exists), I could add that as a parameter too.
Why not try to generate one in a separate thread. With special help from experts like GTO. We can have ratings as stars. Definately not unbiased but somewhat reasonable.

One more question-
Why median and not average?
Old 29th November 2010, 23:02   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Why not try to generate one in a separate thread. With special help from experts like GTO. We can have ratings as stars. Definately not unbiased but somewhat reasonable.

One more question-
Why median and not average?
Yeah I am keeping that requirement for the long term as there will be a lot of debate over it.

I chose median over average because it is a better measure of central tendency since it doesn't get affected by extreme values (like the price of Nano); this is especially so when our sample size isn't too big (36).
Old 1st December 2010, 10:44   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post

Here it is. Suggestion to BHPians: use filter function on rankings sheet to narrow down results for now (use Autofilter->text filter->Contains function to list cars of one or more OEM's or Petrol/Diesel only)
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Smallcar Mod.xlsx (83.5 KB, 449 views)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks