Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2011, 17:28   #451
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Because of a rather awkward looking rear, I guess the rear head space is also compromised. The rear glass area reminds me of the erstwhile Santro when it was introduced.

If the engine is going to be the same as Jazz and this one has more goodies than Jazz but at a lower price range(hopefully) what happens to the Jazz then? Honda has this knack of introducing competetions with the siblings itself so this must have been taken care of.
Rear headroom shouldn't be a problem, unless you're really really tall. The Brio is a relatively tall car, and such cars have good headroom, but seriously lack leg room.

In the same breath, one can ask Maruti why they have the A-Star, Wagon-R, Zen Estillo and the Alto K10, since all of them are between the 3-5 lakh range. It's all about being able to capture the market and dominate in terms of volumes.

However, the Brio is much, much smaller than the Jazz. The Jazz is one segment higher by the virtue of its sheer girth. It's a big car, the Jazz. The Brio would be considerably shorter and narrower.

It is also great to see that Honda has retained the 4-pot 1.2 from the Jazz, for the Brio. There were talks about the engine on its way to losing a cylinder before it finds itself in the Brio, but Honda has retained it. Power seems to have been dropped, but one can only 'calculate' it in terms of numbers.

I'd like to know what the gear-ratios are like on the Brio. Would one need to rev it to get grunt, or is there good bottom-end? This is predominantly a city-car so I'm hoping Honda has reworked the gear-ratios so that it's more suited to city-driving.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st September 2011 at 17:30.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 17:29   #452
BHPian

I didn't like the looks but if they launch it with the right price and features, it's easy for Honda to win the market as the brand already has very good reputation.
Old 1st September 2011, 17:45   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Rear headroom shouldn't be a problem, unless you're really really tall. The Brio is a relatively tall car, and such cars have good headroom, but seriously lack leg room.
+1 to that, but with the Brio the issue seems to be not leg room, but boot space.

Quote:
I'd like to know what the gear-ratios are like on the Brio. Would one need to rev it to get grunt, or is there good bottom-end? This is predominantly a city-car so I'm hoping Honda has reworked the gear-ratios so that it's more suited to city-driving.
The gear ratios have been tweaked Suhaas, but you owning a Jazz would know by first hand experience that the ivtec gem likes to and needs to be revved hard to extract its juices. Same seems to be the case with the Brio.

Only a TD will tell how different it is from the Jazz.
uday.ere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 17:50   #454
BHPian

It would be interesting to see how they price the top end variant in Brio. Jazz even in the base trim is well loaded. IMO, a person who is contemplating a top end Brio may as well be led to base trim of Jazz.
Old 1st September 2011, 17:53   #455
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
+1 to that, but with the Brio the issue seems to be not leg room, but boot space.
Exactly. It looks as small as the boot on the A-Star. There is almost nothing, and for some reason, Honda though "Hey, why don't we put the non-existing boot on display, by slapping on a glass-lid?" What a bright idea!

I don't think the customers of the Brio would be too concerned about the small boot. The knee/leg-room is a concern too, IMO. Hopefully, it should adequate.

Quote:
The gear ratios have been tweaked Suhaas, but you owning a Jazz would know by first hand experience that the ivtec gem likes to and needs to be revved hard to extract its juices. Same seems to be the case with the Brio.

Only a TD will tell how different it is from the Jazz.
Absolutely!

The 1.2 mill is a gem of an engine. And it loves to be revved and wrung by its neck. And as much as I like doing that, not too many customers would be happy. I'm sure they'd prefer a car which has better bottom-end and allows you to hold your gear in city-traffic-conditions. Hope the Brio delivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
It would be interesting to see how they price the top end variant in Brio. Jazz even in the base trim is well loaded. IMO, a person who is contemplating a top end Brio may as well be led to base trim of Jazz.
Good point karty!

But in that case, it would be a win-win situation for Honda anyway. The top-end Brio, IMO, will not sell as well as the mid-variant. It might lure customers into buying the Jazz. However, there are a class of customers who are very clear as to what they're looking to buy. So if it's a small car, it WILL be a small car.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 1st September 2011 at 17:56.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 17:59   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
My prediction of the pricing seems to be spot on.

Quote:
Pics of the New Brio, if priced sensibly, Honda has one more 'headache' of the good sort - read long waiting lists. This definitely seems out to lick the likes of i10, Ritz, Beat and of course the other new entrant - Liva. (all the petrol variants at least)
Thanks a ton, Uday. Wonderful scoop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Is that the top end? I see a 'V' badge next to BRIO. But it does not have rear washer/wiper and defogger. These are standard in Jazz right? I feel these are important in India, where enough dust settles on the cars parked in public.
Definitely the top variant. Which means the variants are on City lines - E, S & V, possibly a V AT as well as the standalone Automatic. Slim chance though.

Rear wiper might be absent, but I think there should be the defogger option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Quirky design ! Not able to decide whether it is good or not.
Does it come with steering mounted controls ? One of the pic seems to suggest so.
The 3rd pic clearly shows the steering mounted controls.

I can also make out manual AC controls, a nicely integrated HU, ample storage spaces/pockets in the front, seats with decent under thigh support and lumbar support, rear seat looks strictly limited to 2 persons, more than decent headroom and legroom, very good upholstery quality, good GC and the front has a resemblance to the arrow-shot design of the front of the City.

Overall, this should be one super pocket-sized dynamite! With the pricing I predicted (4.2 to 5.5L), it should blow all competition away. This is the hatch to watch out for, mark my words.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 18:50   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Interiors look exactly the same as the Thai version, just replace the automatic transmission with a manual one -

Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23-hondabriohatchback5.jpg

Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23-hondabriohatchback4.jpg

Official specs are out -

Length - 3610 mm

Width - 1680 mm

Height - 1485 mm

Wheelbase - 2345 mm

Power - 88 Bhp @ 6000 RPM

Torque - 109 Nm @ 4800 RPM

Fuel Economy - 18.4 Kmpl (ARAI)

Boot - 175 Litres

Variants - E, S & V (very possible)

5-Speed Manual Transmission (no AT/CVT as I predicted, sorry folks!)

Electric Power Steering

i-SRS Twin Airbags for driver and passenger

ABS

Electrically adjustable Outer Rear View Mirrors

2 DIN Stereo with 4 speakers and USB/AUX connectivity

Power windows all around with one touch down function for the driver window

Steering mounted audio controls

SOURCE - Honda Brio Hatchback will feature the same 1.2 Liter, i-VTEC 90 Bhp engine; Airbags and ABS too on offer! | IndianCarsBikes.in
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 19:01   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The engine is the same as Jazz though in a slight different tune. 88 PS instead of 90 PS...but considering the power:weight ratio, this one will have the highest in the hatchback segment and will be quite a 'pocket rocket'.

Which goodies are you talking about here?
I don't see any additional feature in the Brio compared to Jazz. Rather, it is clearly missing some features like the rear defogger, wiper , remote boot opening etc. not to forget the space and utility in the Jazz.

Brio will compete with I10/Ritz/Beat whereas Jazz will compete with I20/Polo etc. The segments are clearly different.
yep, hatchback as against premium hatchback, at least in terms of the positioning!

I agree this will be a pocket rocket, especially considering it will be smaller and subsequently lighter than the Jazz. But we should also consider the FE; the Jazz already gives us between 13 to 16 in town.

As for the goodies, I guess the magic seats from Jazz wont be available. I did not go into the details but I hope at least 60:40 split is available as the boot seems to be quite small.

I also hope they come out with an AT and some great colour shades (the blue does look nice). Hit the i10 where it will hurt more
Old 1st September 2011, 19:18   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly. It looks as small as the boot on the A-Star. There is almost nothing, and for some reason, Honda though "Hey, why don't we put the non-existing boot on display, by slapping on a glass-lid?" What a bright idea!

I don't think the customers of the Brio would be too concerned about the small boot. The knee/leg-room is a concern too, IMO. Hopefully, it should adequate.

However, there are a class of customers who are very clear as to what they're looking to buy. So if it's a small car, it WILL be a small car.
@Suhaas,

Didn't A-Star loose out over the alomost non existent boot space? No boot space means cost concious customer thinks twice. A small car like M-800 does have a sufficient boot space. Add to that the difficulty of three adults to be squeezed in at the rear is going to raise a few eyebrows. Indian customer knows two things "Kitna leti hai" & "Kitna deti hai". If even one factor is unticked they would move on to a different brand.

Regarding goodies I was referring to the premium ones like the ABS, Air bags, Steering mounted controls, USB input, Alloy wheels etc. Its the basic ones like read wiper/defogger etc pointed out by adimicra are missing even in the top variant V.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 19:57   #460
BHPian

Quote:
Indian customer knows two things "Kitna leti hai" & "Kitna deti hai". If even one factor is unticked they would move on to a different brand.
Didn't alto do well with just one factor ticked

Last edited by karty_83 : 1st September 2011 at 20:00.
Old 1st September 2011, 20:13   #461
BHPian

Quote:
@Suhaas,

Didn't A-Star loose out over the alomost non existent boot space? No boot space means cost concious customer thinks twice.
Exactly. No matter how impressive the specs are, the one specification that matters most to people like my wife is: BOOT SPACE. For her, the Brio's reported Boot Space of 175 Litres is nothing short of a disaster.

The arrival of many new hatchbacks with poor-to-pathetic boot space is a matter of concern to a large segment of buyers. Thankfully, cars like the Jazz, Figo and Polo still feature a generous boot space.

I'm glad that our I10 has a useful (though average-sized) 225-ltr boot space, else it too would have been out of our shopping list in December 2010.
Old 1st September 2011, 20:23   #462
Distinguished - BHPian

From Motorbeam

"Car tested: 2011 Honda Brio 1.2 i-VTEC

Price OTR Mumbai: Rs. 4-5.5 lakhs (Est)

Ever since the launch of the first generation City, Honda has been looked upon as a premium brand in India and rightly so. The Japanese car maker has been doing good numbers even today, wherein most of the competition now comes with both petrol and diesel options. Demand for diesel cars has grown beyond expectations and has caught Honda on the wrong foot with the company having no diesel car in the pipeline for another couple of years. The City has been resisting its diesel competitors and is still doing fairly well, which speaks volumes about Honda products. A recent price cut on the City and Jazz have further strengthened the company’s sales and with the prices of the Jazz starting at Rs 5.5 Lakhs, undoubtedly its the best buy in the segment.
Honda Brio Test Drive Review | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23-honda_brio_test_drive_review91.jpg  

Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23-honda_brio_test_drive_review115.jpg  

Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23-honda_brio_test_drive_review185.jpg  

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st September 2011 at 20:32.
Old 1st September 2011, 20:38   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
From Motorbeam

"Car tested: 2011 Honda Brio 1.2 i-VTEC

Honda Brio Test Drive Review | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews
The front and rear quarter glass is absent as seen in the 3rd pic
Wouldn't that affect drive ability to an extent ? IMO that would create a blind spot
karty_83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 20:56   #464
BHPian

Good review by Motorbeam i would say . Surprising that Honda has left out the rear defogger .
Old 1st September 2011, 21:15   #465
BHPian

The interiors is awesome when compared to Jap cousin. I wish honda had diesel engines

if the price is 4 to 5.5 for this car, IMO it will blow the competition away.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed