Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2011, 18:54   #496
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
The Autocar India Show is here. The boot door is strong indeed.
Yes, watched the show and the boot door indeed is very strong. I thought the glass would go bust the way Renuka slammed it down .

Very good package overall, especially as a City car and I expect the pricing would be around 4.25 to 5.25 ex-showroom.
Old 2nd September 2011, 20:50   #497
BHPian

7 Brio's were brought to visakhapatnam for journalists to test them.

called up the honda showroom and the service manager said that the price indication they got was somewhere in the region of 4.5 - 4.8 on road for the base version. will be going to see them at the dealer tomorrow. will try to get some pics if i can.
Old 2nd September 2011, 20:55   #498
BHPian

sorry for two posts. forgot to upload the pics i took the first time i saw them.

by the way the colors which were present - silver, blue, grey, red.

the front looks good in all the colors. but the rear looked best in Red and grey.

will try to get more pictures tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23-img_1093.jpg  

Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23-img_1091.jpg  

Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23-img_1094.jpg  

civ4647 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 23:44   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
That is one of the most hideous rears on a hatchback! Looks like they gave it to DC to design it On the contrary, the front looks quite smart.
I agree. I dont know what's wrong with designers when it comes to the back. Ritz has serious competition now. Car will however do well with decent interiors, Honda brand name and of course a great engine.
Old 3rd September 2011, 00:33   #500
BHPian

I don't know why but to me it looks similar to the Toyota Aygo.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23-toyotaaygogreen.jpg  

Old 3rd September 2011, 08:38   #501
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidd_city View Post
I don't know why but to me it looks similar to the Toyota Aygo.
Maybe it’s just the hatch door.

Personally, I find this a good effort from Honda. Only grouse is the Jazz Select kind of chrome grille. Hope this is not the same across variants.
Old 3rd September 2011, 09:50   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Maybe it’s just the hatch door.

Personally, I find this a good effort from Honda. Only grouse is the Jazz Select kind of chrome grille. Hope this is not the same across variants.
I feel chrome grille is alright on this car when compared to the Jazz. For the latter, we saw one without chrome for a long time. May that had a role in making most of us feel awkward at first sight.
If i have not mistaken Brio comes only in 2 trims and chrome as a standard on both.
Old 3rd September 2011, 11:01   #503
Team-BHP Support

So what are the plus and minus points that one can list out in the new Brio?

+ Great engine that likes being revved. 88 horses in a small car should be great fun.
+ Brilliant fuel-efficiency can be expected.
+ Good interior space, knee-room and head-room is good.
+ One can expect good handling, if not class-leading dynamics.
+ Fold-able rear seats add a touch of versatility.
+ @ 4-5 lakhs, it should be great value.

Now the negatives:

- Small, almost non-existent boot. Will disappoint many prospective customers.
- Lack of few essential features like rear-defogger and rear windshield-wiper.
- Ride may not be up to standard, especially when one scrutinizes other Honda products.
- Awkward looking rear-hatch. (may grow on you after a while)
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 11:06   #504
Senior - BHPian

I am no automotive engineer, but frankly what bothers me is the c-pillar looks too thin for a 1.2 ltr engine car.

Imagine if the car going at 120kmph breaks suddenly then chances are a rear end collision with a bus might be very disastrous. I have circled the point that I am mentioning.

Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23-untitled.jpg
Again, just my opinion, I am no expert in this topic.

What are your opinions??
Old 3rd September 2011, 11:21   #505
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
I am no automotive engineer, but frankly what bothers me is the c-pillar looks too thin for a 1.2 ltr engine car.

Imagine if the car going at 120kmph breaks suddenly then chances are a rear end collision with a bus might be very disastrous. I have circled the point that I am mentioning.

Again, just my opinion, I am no expert in this topic.

What are your opinions??
The car doing 120 km/h brakes suddenly and a bus rear-ending it would always be disastrous, for any car. The Brio is no exception. A sedan will probably take the impact much better than a hatch because of all that extra sheet metal.

As you've pointed out. The rear pillar looks thin, but I don't think that it should be considered a safety hazard. In this day and age of crumple-zones and other safety components, the car is designed to absorb the impact and not transfer it onto the occupants of the car. So even if the car looks to be in bad shape after a collision, the occupants would escape with minimal injuries, at most.

Cars with strong pillars and sturdy chunky metal parts might give one a sense of security and safety, but it might do more harm, than good, as the body does not absorb the impact and transfers it onto the occupants.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 3rd September 2011 at 11:48.
suhaas307 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 12:09   #506
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The car doing 120 km/h brakes suddenly and a bus rear-ending it would always be disastrous, for any car. The Brio is no exception. A sedan will probably take the impact much better than a hatch because of all that extra sheet metal.

As you've pointed out. The rear pillar looks thin, but I don't think that it should be considered a safety hazard. In this day and age of crumple-zones and other safety components, the car is designed to absorb the impact and not transfer it onto the occupants of the car. So even if the car looks to be in bad shape after a collision, the occupants would escape with minimal injuries, at most.

Cars with strong pillars and sturdy chunky metal parts might give one a sense of security and safety, but it might do more harm, than good, as the body does not absorb the impact and transfers it onto the occupants.
+1.

If at all anything, I think the rear headrests (or the lack of it) is an even bigger danger in such a circumstance, due to whiplash injuries. Too bad Honda skipped on such a basic thing when they are providing ABS even on the 'S' version.

But, an overall brilliant package from Honda. Maruti, Hyundai, Toyota and other players better be ready! IMO, i10 will take the biggest hit due to the Honda pricing, the similar feel of the cabin, Honda brand value and the lack of a diesel engine.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd September 2011 at 12:11.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 19:24   #507
BHPian

A website predicts base (E) version will not have air bags and ABS, S will have only air bags and V will have both air bags and ABS. Also the prices predicted by them are E-4,50,000 S-5,00,000 V-5,50,000.

I think they got it all wrong because Honda will not offer Brio with air bags and ABS at the price of Jazz with air bags and ABS (only without alloys). If the base version does not have air bags and ABS, it will definitely be under 4 lakhs Ex-showroom IMO.

Honda Brio E, Review, Price, Honda Cars India, Comparison, Images, Variants
Old 3rd September 2011, 21:32   #508
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvssudheer View Post
A website predicts base (E) version will not have air bags and ABS, S will have only air bags and V will have both air bags and ABS. Also the prices predicted by them are E-4,50,000 S-5,00,000 V-5,50,000.

I think they got it all wrong because Honda will not offer Brio with air bags and ABS at the price of Jazz with air bags and ABS (only without alloys). If the base version does not have air bags and ABS, it will definitely be under 4 lakhs Ex-showroom IMO.
Going by the Honda "trend", even the base version ideally will have the safety features. And I wish to see it that way. Will be an eye opener for other manufacturers to follow suit. Unlike Maruti removing the optional ABS from the VDi / VXi trims.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 21:39   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Going by the Honda "trend", even the base version ideally will have the safety features. And I wish to see it that way. Will be an eye opener for other manufacturers to follow suit. Unlike Maruti removing the optional ABS from the VDi / VXi trims.
I wish they maintain this tradition. With all safety features if the base version is below 5L OTR it will be quite an achievement. Definitely a worry for B segment competition.
Old 3rd September 2011, 21:45   #510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
As you've pointed out. The rear pillar looks thin, but I don't think that it should be considered a safety hazard. In this day and age of crumple-zones and other safety components, the car is designed to absorb the impact and not transfer it onto the occupants of the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
If at all anything, I think the rear headrests (or the lack of it) is an even bigger danger in such a circumstance, due to whiplash injuries. Too bad Honda skipped on such a basic thing when they are providing ABS even on the 'S' version.
Guys, I agree to your point. That all the modern cars have a crumple zone with it. In fact even I was advocting this fact when people brought this up during the Figo's front portion etc.

But the reason I pointed out specifically for Brio is because of one particular observation. If you see the pictures of the back seat. If any person with 6" hieght sits in the rear seat then according to what I see, there will be hardly 15 cms between his head and the rear glass.

Now I do agree with the concept of crumple zone. But that would apply only when there is significant distance between the rear passenger and the first point of impact.

If you see in Brio the crumple zone in this car is actually the meaty rear bumper, but if there is a vehicle which can result in impact above the rear bumper (typically volvo busses / commercial Lorries) then the crumple zone of 15cms is as good as non-existant. Again, I am resting my argument only based on videos and pics I am seeing.

I am not saying you are wrong, I am just putting my point across. Which might be wrong even.
the fact that
Closed Thread

Most Viewed