Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2010, 18:58   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman View Post
For me Brio interiors looks almost like i10, it may get better heart. May be this is the plan of Honda. Honda came up with Jazz with near-by price of city and city sales went up, now what if they launch Brio around 6 and Jazz gets more sales?
That strategy won't work. Actually,I am convinced that nothing will work to sell the Jazz in India unless they reduce the price. People simply won't pay that much for a 'small car' (hatchback). Honda ASAP needs to do the following -
  • Launch 1 or 2 stripped down versions of the Jazz without ABS/airbags/Audio/power mirrors/alloys and some other stuff (S and M like ANHC)
  • The current version (Select) should be poistioned as a higher end version (V) and Jazz X as VX.
  • Price the jazz Select at a slight premium (30-40K) to the I20/Polo rather than the current 1 Lakh premium they demand.
I do not care about the sales much but what worries me being a Jazz owner is the low sales of Jazz might lead to non-availability of spares etc a few years down the line causing a lot of pain for owners like me.

Coming back to the Brio, I thought it looks nice but going by the reactions here, it seems that I am in the minority again
Let us see how it looks in person.

The base version of the Brio will be priced under 5 Lakhs - this has been confirmed by Honda officially several times. Otherwise, what is the point in building this car. They can easily launch a stripped down version of Jazz at 6 Lakhs.

Last edited by adimicra : 30th November 2010 at 18:59.
Old 30th November 2010, 19:07   #47
Senior - BHPian

I read the Autocar article on Brio & saw the car in pics. Must say that the car is little longer than the Wagon R (15 mm ONLY) & smaller by the swift by half a foot. To add to this, it is way too short as compared to these cars. Wonder only the weight & BHP ratings could be the savings grace for Honda.

The high loading bay combined with maximum sitting space also mean that the boot is more or less redundant... & we crib about the 170 L boot in the Wagon R that sells a lac cheaper for the base.

But, for this price it would sell well (as per Honda's expectations).
Old 30th November 2010, 19:23   #48
Senior - BHPian

Video:

The rear is a bit too radical. Those tail lights look like cheap imports from Taiwan.

The all black rear hatch will definitely look better in a colour like white or silver.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Brio - Small car for India - unveiled!*UPDATE* SCOOP Pics Pg.23-brio-silver.jpg  

Old 30th November 2010, 19:27   #49
mgh
BHPian

from pics in post #s 20 and 22, it is an automatic. If automatic is standard, it would be a big plus. The i10 ATs are 4.5 lakhs + and i20 ATs are 7.5 lakhs plus
Old 30th November 2010, 19:40   #50
BHPian

Looks better to me. With Jaaz's 1.2L engine, if priced competitively against swift, its definitely gonna be a hit, though I have my doubts regarding the engine. I guess Honda would plonk a 1L engine in India.

Contrary to many, I liked the rear design.
Old 30th November 2010, 19:49   #51
Senior - BHPian

To me the front reminds me of Verna Transform , rear of Beat getting Beat'en and interiors of i10. If Honda can price it with minimal premium above i10, im sure it will sell ! But whats with weird placing of A/c vents ? First the Etios , now Brio!

The only thing i liked in the car is the steering design

Last edited by karanraheja : 30th November 2010 at 19:51.
Old 30th November 2010, 20:21   #52
Senior - BHPian

And the laziest creative unit Award goes to ... Honda.

It looks like somebody decided that they need a smaller car than the Jazz/Fit, so they decided what parts they can use from Honda & what can be copied from Others (Why not, the koreans have been doing it for so long, so it Honda's time now).

I can go on but man than rear looks ugly. The dashboard weird & like Sid said looks like ICE is for passenger to control.

I just hope the final version(I know this is final but still hoping they would change something) looks better on road & is priced reasonably.
Old 30th November 2010, 21:04   #53
BHPian

The car looks fugly and from the pictures it doesn't look any bigger than the i10 or the Ritz. Since its a Honda we can be rest assured that it is going to be priced above 5Lacs and IMO it wont survive the onslaught from the competition which includes i20, Polo and the new Swift.
Old 30th November 2010, 21:16   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadman View Post
Honda came up with Jazz with near-by price of city and city sales went up, now what if they launch Brio around 6 and Jazz gets more sales?
The comment is true for i20 sales. Because buyers starting comparing it to Jazz and suddenly saw i20 was more car for the money. Hence the sales picked up very fast.
Old 30th November 2010, 21:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

Something for sure is cooking, I guess there must be some reason for Honda launching the Brio exactly a day before the Etios is to be launched. Is that an attempt to take the shine away from the Etios??
Old 30th November 2010, 21:46   #56
MAS
Senior - BHPian

I happened to watch NDTV Profit just a while ago. The Marketing Director informed that the car will be launched in India around the Festival season of Dussera and Diwali in 2011. He said that the car will be available in India for under 5 Lakhs.
Old 30th November 2010, 22:01   #57
BANNED

Let's not forget this is the 'Prototype' Brio that they have showcased in Thailand. That means much of the design 'might' be subject to change in the production model.

Brio at 3610mm*1680mm isn't dimensionally too different from Ritz at 3715mm*1680mm but Beat 3640mm * 1595mm. The cost of a Honda Jazz is 550,000 Baht (~INR 836,000) so if we interpolate the same, Brio should be (like many said on the forum) at INR 500,000 - 600,000. Now this is where it will get hit.

It'll all come down to the level of localization, any idea if they have set-up the production of this model in India and intending to export from here?
Old 30th November 2010, 22:11   #58
Senior - BHPian

Radical Design

Thats one hell of a radical design and they have really stuck to the original concept that they showcased at the Auto Expo. We can all debate the design, but at least give Honda marks for an all new car for India and not an Etios which was supposedly designed and made for India. I dont buy toyotas story and truly believe the etios is an old car re-engineered for India.
Old 30th November 2010, 22:23   #59
Senior - BHPian

Its a far far better looking car than the etios. Looks modern. If priced righr,this might taste the same success as the Swift. I'mloving it already!
Old 30th November 2010, 22:47   #60
Senior - BHPian

What's wrong with the design? I feel its fresh, funky and for the masses. That is if honda prices this little baby just right. Under 5 lacs that is. With my love for Honda's I might just pick this one up and replace my 7 yr old Santro.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed