Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should SUV owners pay market price for diesel?
Yes 235 64.56%
No 110 30.22%
I am not sure 19 5.22%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2010, 16:16   #106
BHPian

Re: Should SUV owners pay market price for Diesel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajasaravanan View Post
Hi,
There are so many people who are living below the poverty line so why dont we get the big time CEO's and politicians to open up their bank account and help them.
Cheers
Would anyone in the forum allow their bank account to open for less fortunate people?
Old 10th December 2010, 16:30   #107
BHPian

Agreed the Diesl should not be subsidised. We have to pay the market price.

Also the roadtax which is a plain robbery by the governement should be banned and much effective and a realestic system be in place
Old 10th December 2010, 16:44   #108
Senior - BHPian

Differential diesel pricing will not work, it will definitely result in black-marketing by selling diesel to cars/SUV’s instead of truck owners.

A fairly solution is already given in Kelkar’s report ie. Introducing a one time cess on diesel vehicles, will negate the diesel price advantage.
Old 10th December 2010, 16:51   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Differential diesel pricing will not work, it will definitely result in black-marketing by selling diesel to cars/SUV’s instead of truck owners.

A fairly solution is already given in Kelkar’s report ie. Introducing a one time cess on diesel vehicles, will negate the diesel price advantage.
Isn't diesel more environment friendly than petrol. In that sense, shouldn't we encorage diesel than petrol?
Just going by average kya hai!!
Some one from chemistry or refinery background can validate (or invalidate) my assumption.
Old 10th December 2010, 17:01   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddis_dude View Post
1. I don't see how the govt will benefit by implementing variable prices for the same thing! The benefit only goes to the bunk owner who would report everything as being sold to trucks and pocket the diff!

2. I live in Padmanabha Nagar, Bangalore and everyone knows who owns the petrol bunk(s) there. They have complete immunity and even direct complaints about quantity/quality of fuel from these bunk's go completely unnoticed.

4. Whats to stop pump owners from eventually refusing to sell to our beloved lorry owners simply because a SUV owner gives them a bigger cut of profit (at least in the highly SUV-infested areas)? Particularly in times of diesel shortage for instance (bandh etc)? What would be the impact of this?
Thats a very valid point that you have made. I have once had the bad luck of getting my car filled at that pump and my mileage just dipped by a whole 1.5 kmpl. Just like that. Gone!

There is no way the govt or anyother agency can monitor who sold how much fuel to which vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddis_dude View Post
OT - Really want to reduce pollution? Good roads mean less traffic jams and therefore less fuel wastage and less of a national time-waste.
Exactly. Better roads and better infrastructure is the answer to the problem. Take Delhi for an example. Thanks to the CWG we have got some excellent flyovers all over the city and driving has become so much better then before. End result: Less traffic jams and less wastage of fuel.
Old 10th December 2010, 17:11   #111
Senior - BHPian

Why SUV owners alone? Diesel car owners too should pay market price for diesel. But the way to go about it is to levy a tax at the time of sale of the vehicle.

Doesn't seem right that my humble Splendor / Alto partly subsidizes the fuel of my MD's huge Merc, does it?

Putting it differently, will diesel suv / cars sell in the same numbers if diesel was priced on par with petrol?
Old 10th December 2010, 17:13   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumaravelS View Post
Isn't diesel more environment friendly than petrol. In that sense, shouldn't we encorage diesel than petrol?
Just going by average kya hai!!
Some one from chemistry or refinery background can validate (or invalidate) my assumption.
It is true that diesel engine have better efficiency and torque characteristics however modern diesel engine emission produce quite high NOx than the petrol versions and produce high particulate matter which the petrol does not.
Particulate matter are quite difficult to manage even with sophisticated filters. Particles of the order of ~10 micrometers or less can penetrate the deepest part of the lungs and can settle in the bronchi causing health problems. Particles smaller than 2.5 micrometers, tend to penetrate into the gas exchange regions of the lung, and very small particles (< 100 nanometers) may pass through the lungs to affect other organs.

So it is the question of average life ka not average ka ..

Last edited by tj123 : 10th December 2010 at 17:22.
Old 10th December 2010, 17:27   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Why SUV owners alone? Diesel car owners too should pay market price for diesel. But the way to go about it is to levy a tax at the time of sale of the vehicle.
Paying higher taxes is not the answer. For example BEST in Mumbai still collects 15paise per ticket as Bangladesh war tax!!!!. Its incredibly stupid, and once a tax starts, it never stops.
Also differential pricing of diesel will not work since what stops a SUV owner from filling up his tank at a farmer's fuel bunk by paying 100 extra?

I want to see Jayaram Ramesh stopping fuel cross subsidy and increase Kerosene price to market price, reduce all the taxes on petrol/ATF. If we are a free market economy then all must pay market prices for everything We cannot keep subsidizing A and tax B
Old 10th December 2010, 18:48   #114
BHPian

I agree that SUV's alone should not be targetted. I also think that customers are already pay some sort of a diesel vehicle tax, but only that it is being pocketed by the manufacturers as the "1 lakh" premium for diesel engined cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

Doesn't seem right that my humble Splendor / Alto partly subsidizes the fuel of my MD's huge Merc, does it?

Putting it differently, will diesel suv / cars sell in the same numbers if diesel was priced on par with petrol?
Old 10th December 2010, 22:08   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Also differential pricing of diesel will not work since what stops a SUV owner from filling up his tank at a farmer's fuel bunk by paying 100 extra?

I want to see Jayaram Ramesh stopping fuel cross subsidy and increase Kerosene price to market price, reduce all the taxes on petrol/ATF. If we are a free market economy then all must pay market prices for everything We cannot keep subsidizing A and tax B
That is why I said it should be a special tax up front at the time of sale of the vehicle itself. Differential pricing of diesel will never work.

As for yor second para, it is based on the "ability to pay" principle. If all the prices of all fuels are to be equalized, then you may have to pay 10% more income tax!
Old 10th December 2010, 23:56   #116
Senior - BHPian

All Diesel car owners should pay the market price.
Old 11th December 2010, 01:27   #117
Senior - BHPian

I agree with what a few others have said.

The main constituencies to gain by introducing differential pricing (with embedded higher taxes) for private diesel vehicles would be:
a) Govt employees controlling who should/should not get passes for cheaper fuel - another form of license raj.
b) The Bunk owners
c) Commercial vehicle drivers/owners who run a side business in racketeering diesel
d) the exchequer - he will laugh his way to the bank with ill-gotten easy money.

What's the way out?
Stop buying diesel vehicles from manufacturers. When lack of sales pinches their pockets - they will themselves shell out good money to make policy makers reverse the policy.

In the meantime - as someone aptly put it - move to China.
Old 11th December 2010, 02:07   #118
Team-BHP Support

Why should SUV or diesel car owners get subsidy? I find it strange people even ask that guestion. So many people in India get subsidy. Why not the middle class. I see a pretty disturbing trend. Every body is okay with subsidies and benefits for super rich and super poor. But when middle class gets something, people, esp from the same class, get hell bent on opposing it.
So while we are at it, why not put a 1 lakh per year tax on all cars. After all, if somebody can afford a 6 lakh car he can definitely afford a 1 lakh extra tax, right?
This money can be used for subsidies on big businesses etc.,
Old 11th December 2010, 07:41   #119
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

First let the government bring in parity of pricing of all FUELS and MOTOR Vehicles and Taxes between the great UNION TERRITORIES like Delhi/NCR, Pondy, Mahe, etc and the rest of India.
Let there be a "One Country One Price" policy on all Fuels and Motor Vehicles/ Taxes etc.
I see absolutely no reason why I have to pay such a high price for Fuel or a vehicle in Bangalore or in Bombay when compared with other parts of India particularly the Union Territories.
Once this is done I might then be inclined to approach the topic of market price for Diesel for my SUV.
Till then I shall happily take advantage of lower priced Fuel (Diesel) for my SUV and enjoy it.
Considering the amount of tax I pay and considering what rubbish I get in return from the government, let me at least enjoy this small saving in terms of Fuel cost which I am enjoying right now and to h**l with what ANYONE else may say!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
All Diesel car owners should pay the market price.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 11th December 2010 at 07:43.
Old 11th December 2010, 09:23   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
First let the government bring in parity of pricing of all FUELS and MOTOR Vehicles and Taxes between the great UNION TERRITORIES like Delhi/NCR, Pondy, Mahe, etc and the rest of India.
Let there be a "One Country One Price" policy on all Fuels and Motor Vehicles/ Taxes etc.
+1 to that , When the Income Tax slab is uniform all across India why does this have to be any different ??

I would suggest a 2 fold Diesel surcharge.
For all new vehicles at the time of Registration levy a diesel surcharge upfront.
For all existing vehicles depending on the age of the vehicle give a cut off date by which owners need to pay this tax and get a receipt.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks