Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should SUV owners pay market price for diesel?
Yes 235 64.56%
No 110 30.22%
I am not sure 19 5.22%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2010, 16:07   #1
BHPian

Should SUV owners pay market price for Diesel?

After having termed SUV’s as “Socially Useless Vehicles” and SUV owners as “criminals” and also taking a jibe on the likes of BMW’s and Honda’s, Mr. Jairam Ramesh has today coined the thought of SUV owners to pay full market price for diesel.

He has already got a lot of flake on what he said on BMW and Honda, in and outside of this forum, I am restricting this thread to your opinion on weather or not SUV owners should pay market price for Diesel.

Of course, modalities of that happening in terms of how would you monitor and control (one will start taking diesel in a can and would not drive SUV to bunk etc.) is a different issue all together, let us see how team bhpians converge (or do not converge) on the basic thought itself.

Do leave your reasons along with your vote for a better comprehension of your rationale
Old 30th November 2010, 16:14   #2
BHPian

On a lighter note, I think the police should just spot fine cars(both petrol and diesel) which only 2 or lesser occupants. This will bring down pollution for sure
Old 30th November 2010, 16:18   #3
BHPian

Its not only the SUV owner. I believe it should be applicable for all the Diesel vehicle owner.
Our Big Profile people buy fuel at same cost as the farmer buys.
Old 30th November 2010, 16:19   #4
BHPian

"After having termed SUV’s as “Socially Useless Vehicles” and SUV owners as “criminals” and also taking a jibe on the likes of BMW’s and Honda’s, Mr. Jairam Ramesh has today coined the thought of SUV owners to pay full market price for diesel. "

Rather than going for such a senseless state of affairs of differential pricing, why don't Hon'ble Mr. Jairam Ramesh convince his cabinet colleagues Hon'ble minister of PNG for reducing the subsidy on all fuels in general and diesel in particular.

Cheers
P.S. IMHO issue of subsidies on petroleum products has been discussed elsewhere in the forum in detail.
Old 30th November 2010, 16:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yes they (we) should. Subsidies are not meant for the ultra-rich. I feel a diesel surcharge on such vehicles should be the way to do it. Of course there will be lobbying against this by the manufacturers.

PS: Off-topic: I also feel they should limit subsidized LPG cylinders by having a tatkal scheme which Maruti had on it's 800 model about a decade or more ago.

Last edited by asr245 : 30th November 2010 at 16:25.
Old 30th November 2010, 16:20   #6
BHPian

That's a complete no-brainer. Why private SUV owners (or any private vehicle, petrol or diesel) should benefit from subsidised fuel?
Old 30th November 2010, 16:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

The problem lies with how all the taxes and levies are utilised by our Government.
Then, If I am not wrong, if taxes central and state are waived off on all fuels the prices will become pretty fair and affordable by majority of the population. Government has alternate areas from where ENOUGH Taxes are collected, but unfortunately get drained by scams and commisions etc etc.
Old 30th November 2010, 16:34   #8
BHPian

He (JR) should raise voice against the Diesel Local Passenger and carriage Vehicles, First. Because they are the real polluters. IMO, These vehicles should be tested on a monthly manor.
Old 30th November 2010, 16:43   #9
BANNED

MODS: Can we merge this thread with the existing thread by the same minister since they both are on the same issue and lines.
Old 30th November 2010, 17:15   #10
aby
BHPian

I am for removal of subsidies, but this targeting of SUV owners is plain dumb in my opinion. So is it fair to say that a Scorpio or a Safari owner has to pay market price for Diesel, while a Merc E250 CDI owner can enjoy subsidized diesel.

If subsidies have to be removed (which I think they should be) then they should be removed for all cars right from Indicas and Swifts to the Q7s.
Old 30th November 2010, 17:16   #11
BANNED

Should every household pay market price for LPG?

Should every household pay market price for electricity?

Should every household pay market price for water?

Should every household pay market price for kerosene?

and so on...

I guess you get the drift...

In India, this nonsense will go on. We are too blind to see this..
Old 30th November 2010, 17:55   #12
BHPian

This is clearly no. Why subsidy on Diesel which is meant for someone else(Farmers, Public Transports etc) is being used by people who can afford to pay more for their transport.
Old 30th November 2010, 18:04   #13
AWD
BHPian

A resounding "YES". This move would force people to buy efficient(environmentally & economically) cars(hatches). The Minister is right when he says the fuel is subsidized for farming & transport, nothing wrong with that.

Though I would have liked if the Govt. gave some alternatives in the form of Electric, Hybrid vehicles by reducing taxes & duties. So that people still have a choice.
Old 30th November 2010, 18:20   #14
BANNED

All said and done We are a country with HUGE population and it is not possible to restrict people or police them,infact we do not have enough cops to handle problems.

Leave alone the market price diesel,first let us have "Aadhaar" implemented and let us see if each and every Indian get it.

So 1 cent - YES but how are we going to implement it when 50% of the SUVs are used by politicians and Govt (atleast in chennai - every 3rd scorpio belongs to a party and will have a flag on the bonnet)
Old 30th November 2010, 18:25   #15
BHPian

Totally agreed.
There should be differential pricing but given that this is India not sure exactly how will it work and what all hassels will a common person face.

While he is at this, can the minister also find some way of making farm/agricultural vehicles stick to the farm...would be awesome if someone could get roads in north India rid of tractors, trawlers, etc. (slow moving, over-laden and violating most if not all traffic rules)

peace,
~kg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks