Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2016, 22:31   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car got stolen, what happens to taxes paid

I wasn't aware such an option is not available in India.
In UK (also in few other countries as well) one can get the tax refund for stolen vehicles.
https://www.gov.uk/what-to-do-if-you...as-been-stolen
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 22:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post

I wasn't aware such an option is not available in India.
In UK (also in few other countries as well) one can get the tax refund for stolen vehicles.
https://www.gov.uk/what-to-do-if-you...as-been-stolen
This will work in the UK because Vehicle Excise Duty (or, in common parlance, road tax) is paid annually for as long as the car is in use on the road.
This road tax needs to be paid by the "keeper" of the vehicle, and not the legal owner. Not sure about the subtle legal nuances of terminology here, but that is what the rule book says.
So if the car is stolen, you are no longer the keeper of the vehicle, hence no need to pay tax any more.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 23:30   #33
Senior - BHPian

The taxes were stolen the moment you paid them!
honeybee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 23:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
I defer on this point. Safeguarding car is owner's responsibility and not government responsibility...
Safeguarding your assets from being stolen is the government's responsibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik008 View Post
Your question may be debatable - only debatable - if you can prove that car is totally off the road..
Not IMO. That's incase of scrapping the vehicle where you get it crushed & the dealer certifies the same. IIRC a photographic evidence of scrapping is also required.

I would guess, that unless proven otherwise, the law presumes that you're honest & it isn't a false complaint to cheat the govt and that the vehicle would be presumed to have ceased to exist after a 'reasonable' period of time.

Nobody would've fought it out in courts upto that stage till now, hence the ambiguity. But if I got a certificate of rebate (for my next vehicle) of an equal amount of tax (calculated on pro rata basis ofcourse), I'd consider that as reasonable. Even if it's a non-transferable / saleable certificate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The taxes were stolen the moment you paid them!
lol well said! Very optimistic of the OP to think this was possible.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 24th February 2016 at 23:55.
Old 25th February 2016, 00:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone in this forum actually gotten a refund of lifetime tax for any reason? Atleast from Karnataka RTO? Tax is a onetime payoff which should be forgotten. As a good citizen, you are expected to pay whatever tax is demanded of you. And new taxes will be added, which must be paid off promptly. I guess this is the same story world over.
Old 25th February 2016, 10:22   #36
Senior - BHPian

While it is the duty of every citizen to pay the due taxes on time, it is also the duty of the tax collecting agency to return or refund excess amounts. See how the Income Tax department refunds you money within a couple of months? I doubt if the RTOs could even find one's tax records in that time.
Old 25th February 2016, 10:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Has anyone in this forum actually gotten a refund of lifetime tax for any reason?
I received refund of OTT for a car that I had sold, and which was re registered as a Taxi, my first cousin had transferred his car from Lonavala to Bangalore, I filled the form Dt for refund, but it was rejected as late, as Bangalore RTO had not replied to confirmation letter within 180 days of receiving it.

Rahul
Old 4th August 2016, 15:00   #38
Senior - BHPian

Re: Vehicle fully damaged? Get life tax refund

Life Time tax refund is possible but most citizen don't get it because of Negligence and deficiency of service from RTO's side. Mostly RTO's in different states don't communicate so well with each other and the stipulated time to receive the refund is over after the NOC is given. ( I think it is a period of 4 months )

The only way round this problem and to make those lazy RTO guy's do their work properly is by filing RTI's continuously every month to the transport department and RTO's and then see the magic work.
Old 4th August 2016, 17:21   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Going through the discussion even I feel should have or rather still can file for return of my Innova's life time tax since I had to sell it outside the state due to the 10 year NGT rule. The RTO should refund me the extra tax they collected for those 5 years.

What do I need to submit for the same? The car was sold off in March and is already registered in the new owner's name in Kerala. Original road tax was paid in Delhi for 15 years and we sold it in its 10th year due to the NGT rule.
Old 4th August 2016, 17:39   #40
tud
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
What do I need to submit for the same? The car was sold off in March and is already registered in the new owner's name in Kerala. Original road tax was paid in Delhi for 15 years and we sold it in its 10th year due to the NGT rule.
I dont think there is an official list available on the RTO website, but the following may be some mandatory docs as mentioned by GTO earlier.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ml#post1411821

These documents plus the new RC copy from Kerala will sufficiently prove that you've sold the car and that the car is not running in the Delhi RTO's jurisdiction to claim the refund.
Old 4th August 2016, 21:48   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Going through the discussion even I feel should have or rather still can file for return of my Innova's life time tax since I had to sell it outside the state due to the 10 year NGT rule. The RTO should refund me the extra tax they collected for those 5 years.

What do I need to submit for the same?
Ethically speaking won't the Life Tax refund go the new owner ? Since he is the one who paid the new tax for it in his state as well as paid you ( The price of the vehicle might have included your tax rate as well if it was not subtracted by you )
Old 4th August 2016, 22:05   #42
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

I have a question on the same lines. My Maruti 800 was stolen from parking lot of a shopping bazaar back in 2011. I had filed FIR back then and on occasions I about any update on its whereabouts from the police but, to be honest, I have all hope now.

My question is: Can I still claim its pending tax from the RTO? I have copy of the FIR is there any other document required? what would be the process like? thanks!

drive_angry
Old 27th January 2017, 22:27   #43
BHPian

I am facing a similar situation, M & M XUV 5OO met with an accident, six months back. Had submitted the necessary documents to United India insurance company six months ago. They are bent upon taking the RC card from me, inspite of proposing a bumper to bumper policy on the ex showroom price of the new car. I am planning to claim the life time tax refund from the RTO, Wanting some directions friends as the insured declared value is not paid to me so far

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks