Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2010, 23:37   #136
Team-BHP Support

The vision was/is noble

On many occasions, I came across replies in which it was quoted that Mr. Tata's vision was flawed. I politely disagree.

Mr. Tata thought to come up with a Car like the Nano for families which couldn't afford anything else and it would be much safer for them to travel that way.

Not for the marketing executive for sure who logs in 75kms a day in a Motorcycle. It is economical to use a motorcycle and much less of a bother. (Parking/Traffic)

That marketing guy needs a Car to move around with his family in safety and comfort. That was Mr. Tata's vision.

The crude sound, image and gone up in flames didn't help much.

Its a bonus for families as their 2nd/3rd Car. Its easy to drive and go shopping/bank/educational institutions in this Car compared to others.

I sincerely wish the Car came with an OTR price of 1.25L for the AC variant.
And if a diesel is on cards, please get the petrol's NVH sorted first.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th December 2010 at 23:38.
Old 5th December 2010, 00:15   #137
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
1. Government Support - or rather the lack of it. Our Government did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to support the initiative with lower taxes if not give outright sops which I am sure would have happened in any western country.
Why should the Govt have supported it? It wasn't as if it had a hugely better average than a 800 or an Alto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post

The electric car also never took off in this country since taxes/levies were the same as a normal car.
In which country did the electric car take off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Since I am Indian and so automatically am a Hippocratic being.
Ok, Doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Please go to Government, persuade them to make it strictly punishable offence with minimum of 1 month jail and 1 Lakh Rupees Fine if more than 2 persons riding on a 2 wheeler in India.
Maybe Niira Radia can help with this.
Old 5th December 2010, 08:51   #138
BHPian

second round of fires coinciding with recovering sales - does not seem to be a co-incidence at all. In some of the cross-examination by Tata, some foreign substance was found around areas of fire. What happened in Bengal was an act of sabotage as well.

Appreciate that Tata has held its horses and not claimed anything without substantial evidence - unlike Trial by Media that fire incidents went through.

Saw the car when I picked up Manza, beautiful car, seems capable as well when I see it moving around in routes from faridabad to Gurgaon in Aravallis. One overtook me at speed of 90+ and did not look out of control or wobbly like 800 does sometimes. Not bad for a car this size and price.
Old 5th December 2010, 11:26   #139
BHPian

The point being, In order to increase sales once again nano, The TATA marketing team needs to get its act together, Shed the nano of its Rs 1lakh image and market it as a low cost carrier which provides better space and efficiency than the competition with a whole new advertising campaign. I'm hoping that helps the nano's cause!
Old 5th December 2010, 19:08   #140
BHPian

Honestly, the primary fault with Nano is: that its target segment is abysmally small (number-wise). I mean ask yourself, how many Indians % can afford to spend 4-5K a month but cannot spend 5-6K? The 5-6K bracket is where Alto reigns supreme, hence Nano, even though a great package on paper, leaves a vast gap between itself and the next product from Tata, which leaves the customer staring at a much more stable, proven, and "foreign" product, viz Suzuki Alto. I don't think there is any future for this car - atleast not in the segment it targets.
Old 5th December 2010, 20:50   #141
BHPian

Let us not sweat it over too much.

The sales figure is misleading. The number presumably is the OFF TAKE from TATA Motors factory and not the actual sales to end user. Apparently dealers had sufficient stock to cater to usual end of year low demand and did not place new orders. The sales figure for December might turn out to be similar.
If the sales are low in January too then it is serious matter requiring immediate attention.
Old 5th December 2010, 21:34   #142
Mik
BHPian

Image is everything. In India, a car is not just a safe way for people to transport themselves but something of an aspiration. The scooter guy when moving up in life would want a car which would give him some sort of status, a pat on the back that he has arrived. A nano just doesn't seem to fit the bill. Reasons

1. The lakh takia car image.
2. The poor TATA image.
3. The trial by media - which sealed the deal.
4. Hearsay - autorickshaw noise being used as a one liner description.

I have a friend who seems to fit the potential tata customer base completely. But she is not even ready to test drive the nano and prefers to plonk 70 or 80k on a sub 2000 zen.

How to get rid of this
1. Shed the one lakh image. An aggressive ad campaign marketing it as the everyday car for all reasons and seasons and not the hope of a scooter generation.
2. Media inserts on how reliable it is - pan india/world/leh efforts to be highlighted.
3. Disassociation with the TATA name. Market the NANO.
4. Mileage runs (1 liter mei bajaj discover - series worked wonders) and if possible even some events based around it. - remember the Zen rallies.
5. Get people to test it - Too many people simply have a mind block against it. Go to corporate houses and companies and position the car to them. Once the upper middle class accepts it as a proper "car" this will automatically enhance its image and acceptability among the target customer base.
6. The NVH. Please do something about it :-(
Old 6th December 2010, 01:26   #143
BHPian

I agee with Mik partially. The selling point of the Nano, it's price, has now become it's disadvantage. The solution is simple, take it upmarket. Give it another cylinder, an openable hatchdoor, and give it the Europa bumpers if not the lights. An 800cc RWD, rear engined hatch with a massive power-to-weight ratio? Woot!

But I think that the current model should be retained alongside and made on order, so that people who can't afford the bigger model will have an option.
Old 6th December 2010, 01:44   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
People are craving for a Big car within 5 lakh on road tag.And just like Maruti people buy Tata cars because its cheap, in their heart the Indians want a foreign car.
That is way too much generalization. We bought an Indica in 2003, the deal clincher being it's an "Indian" car. A friend of me bought an Indigo because it's an "Indian" car.

I have not driven an Nano, so cannot comment about the engine sound. But I sat inside the car. My concerns in buying Nano as a first car are

1. Initial poor quality of Tata vehicles historically. First few buyers become the beta testers for the vehicle. Sorry, I don't want to be a beta tester. Maybe Nano is different but let Tata prove the initial quality with Nano and then I might consider their next new launch as an early bird.

2. When I sat inside, interior fit and finish was 'different' and I did not feel like it is a complete car. As a second car, I would like to have Nano but as a first car I can't say. It is surely spacious than Alto though.

3. Lack of power steering. Why not an automatic, a power steering and some finesse in the top end variant ? Even if it costs 2.75 lacs on road I will give it a serious consideration as a second car or recommend it to parents.

The form factor of the car is brilliant for city. Except the form factor I don't see value for money in this car at this time.
Old 6th December 2010, 06:09   #145
BHPian

Hi guys,

First of all I wanted to say congratulations for this thread! It has been amazing to follow and extremely insightful for someone living outside of India like me (Sydney).

Trying to summarise all the info here into one sentence (pardon me if this sounds too basic / simplified), is it fair to say that the lack of success of the Nano is due to the fact that it is too rudimentary, noisy and overtly ‘low-cost’ for the demanding and image-conscious Indian consumer?

My humble analysis of the Nana case is here : Link

Thank you very much again for all the eye-opening information on here.

Matt

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th December 2010 at 17:50. Reason: Changing to a direct link of the nano blog entry.
Old 6th December 2010, 09:51   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I agee with Mik partially. The selling point of the Nano, it's price, has now become it's disadvantage. The solution is simple, take it upmarket. Give it another cylinder, an openable hatchdoor, and give it the Europa bumpers if not the lights. An 800cc RWD, rear engined hatch with a massive power-to-weight ratio? Woot!
Also release a 2-Door version with above changes.
Old 6th December 2010, 10:54   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
Aussie,
In your blog
There are three Pos (position) for two sales figures.. needs some correction. for .e.g there is jump from 4 to 6 in without indication of 5... and so on..
Old 6th December 2010, 11:05   #148
BHPian

Half page advertisement released in Telugu newspaper today highlighting the India to U.K trip made in a Nano. Perhaps TATA wants to emphasise that it is a reliable car that can travel long distances too.

The advertisements are no longer emphasising the 'cheap' aspect. Perhaps a welcome change in the marketing strategy.

Murthy
Old 6th December 2010, 11:16   #149
JRD
BHPian

i think one of the main issues why its not a hit is just because the nano is not easily available like it was supposed to be. The waiting periods turn most people away and the fire incidents are not necessarily helping the cause.
Old 6th December 2010, 12:18   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KumaravelS View Post
Aussie,
In your blog
There are three Pos (position) for two sales figures.. needs some correction. for .e.g there is jump from 4 to 6 in without indication of 5... and so on..
the 5th one is indica which has sold total units in 2010 more than the 6th position. In Nov month it shouldn't be 5th. he has made a mistake there. But the 5th one for 2010 is alright.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks