Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:31   #46
BHPian

Wow. This has been one strange month with the Tata and Fiat family struggling. Surely this is an aberration (Maintenance shutdown). Even so, Nano numbers at 500 levels seem outrageous.
The hatch segment is continuing to see the domination of Maruti/Hyundai. Great numbers by Alto, Swift, i10, i20 and Figo, though Figo seems to be falling slightly.
What is really great to see is the surge in Vento numbers. This is not at the cost of City alone. SX4 numbers have fallen from close to 2k to about 1.4k levels and so have the numbers of verna and Fiesta. Maruti has to get the diesel SX4 very soon, else they are going to face a tough time from VW.
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:44   #47
BHPian

Except Suzuki (I do not like to mention Maruti, since this would be cheating ourselves!), all other car makers seem to have slid to a great extent.

I personally regret for Fiat and Tata, for their products are among the most under rated in our so unpredictable market.
Old 2nd December 2010, 13:00   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@bkbkr1212,

I am sure you will feel the same way when the new Fiesta is going to be launched. Its already notched up good figures in the European market and is anticipated to do the same in Indian market too.

Its always going to be an initial craze. Now its Vento, tomorrow it might be Etios and then some other model. I guess no manufacturer can keep churning bread winners every month/year with an exception to Dzire which somehow has been selling like hot pancakes month after month.
@ghodlur,
I can see where this is coming from (your signature says it all ).
Being an SX4 owner, I would love to see SX4 also picking up too.Maybe this will happen when their diesel variant comes out. Hyundai should also do something about the Verna. Fiat, a sad story, don't know what to write. Looks like a case of sheer bad luck.

I would love to see 4-6 cars battling it out in each segment.
Old 2nd December 2010, 13:49   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
I would love to see 4-6 cars battling it out in each segment.
I echo your words. Thats what we want to see. But then the cars need not be on the extreme end of the band. We would like to see each manufacturer up their ante with the existing models rather than exclusively concentrating on the new releases. Other wise we will be stuck with Dzire at one end and ANHC on the end of the segment band and each would have their own fanboys.

Having said that, I now dread to visualize the Dec month figures if the Nov sales are this dismal. God help Fiat, Ford, Hyundai, GM. Man look at the Aveo figures, Horrifying. Logan had shown some signs of revival but now its again sliding. Until and unless a facelift is done the figures would still be sliding down only.
Old 2nd December 2010, 13:51   #50
BHPian

Figo sales seem to fizzling out..I bet most buyers are put off by Power Windows absence.It would be great if i20's petrol and diesel version numbers are released seperately.

Last night I was driving with a neighbour in my backseat.
Neighbour:Please can you open the window at the back on the right side
Me:Oh!that soory you need to roll them using the lever
Neighbour:What!!!
Me:No Power Windows at the back!!!
Neighbour:You spent 6.5 L on a car without Power Windows ??
Me tried explaining about other features.but still neighbour had the last word.
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:25   #51
RGK
Senior - BHPian

@racerme - Not only the power windows is the reason for Figo going down in Nov. ere are noises from rear and while braking, poor GC contribute the negatives as they are still not completely rectified. But I doubt around 5.5L no other manufacturer can give a full featured car in Diesel. As said by many Figo will settle down between 6.5k to 7.5k.

In Nov, generally there is a tendency of postponing the purchase as it is going to year end and also chance of getting more discounts in the next month i.e Dec.
But heard, since demand is more there wont by much discounts compared to last year... But not sure
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:39   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerme? View Post
Me:No Power Windows at the back!!!
Neighbour:You spent 6.5 L on a car without Power Windows ??
Me tried explaining about other features.but still neighbour had the last word.
BTW what car does the neighbor have and how much did he pay for the car. By that logic, one can also go "What, you paid over 10 lacs for the Vento TDI Highline and there are no steering mounted audio controls!" Just my thought!
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:39   #53
Senior - BHPian

Where are such huge numbers of Omni and Bolero selling? Rural India/Tier 3/4 cities I guess or is there an urban demand for them?

Good to see Hyundai's old war horse Santro giving the other hatchbacks a run for their money. Shocked to see Tata Aria selling such numbers Is the Indian customer so hooked to this over priced cross over?
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:44   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
Vento would have had the shortest honeymoon, Thanks to Etios.
And the fantastic T-Jet sales are appalling. I envy the list of options sedan buyers have now. How I wish to have had the same list in November 2009!!
Not sure if Etios will eat into Vento's figures as both of them are in different segments. But Honda City for sure will have stiff competition from the Vento especially considering that Vento has a diesel version and Honda does not ...
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:48   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

One should definitely not miss the point that during the festive season, the production would have increased and hence the wholesale sales as well.

After the festive season, in every sense the numbers would be lesser more so to have lesser stock of 2010 models, else they will have to dole out more discounts on the 2010 models.

I guess the next month numbers will be similar to that of this month or even may be lesser as well.
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:57   #56
Senior - BHPian

November latter half & December months are traditionally leaner months for sales, during this period lot of planned preventive maintenance shutdowns happens due to slow demand.

Decent discounts are generally seen during this period to prop up the sales during the slack period.

I am quite surprised to see the Nano down in 3 digit figures, overall similar sales trends can be expected in December also.

Jan 2011 onwards we can clearly see the Etios effect on the mid size sedan segment .I read somewhere that Etois booking has cross a figure of 1000 on day one, at this rate it will do a Fortune soon.

Last edited by tj123 : 2nd December 2010 at 15:04. Reason: typo
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:00   #57
BHPian

Vento is selling like hot cake. I think people are not that worried about the *** network and maintenance charges etc. Surprised to see Linea going down with Tjet. Nano seems to be losing the momentum. Beat and Spark are doing well for Chevy.
I can’t see Manza under TATA, is that included in indigo?
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:08   #58
Senior - BHPian

Interesting figures. Vento is stunner + VFM sedan and the sales show the same. Eagerly awaiting for the new Verna to come through. Will it be named the same?
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:12   #59
BHPian

5400 Figos is hardly the Figo fizzling out especially just after a festive season. We are talking about a FORD here. The car/company comes with a reputation of costly *** etc vis a vis something like a Maruti. if the Figo settles at 5-7 K i think Ford will be very happy.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

The surprise star this month would be VW Vento without doubt. Very high numbers for VW if u ask me.

Nano has to be the biggest letdown in the industry right now. High expectations for the Nano has to be a reason for it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed