Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:29   #91
BANNED

Which car's sales is going to be most hit by Etios?

i20 ---> Very likely (why buy a Korean hatch, when a Jap sedan comes for the same price)

Dzire ---> Likely (Maruti buyers are usually very loyal --> so, the hit would be lesser than in the case of i20)

Vento ---> Not likely (Vento is a premium car compared to Etios, I feel)

Figo ---> Not likely (Etios is in a different price segment w.r.t Figo Petrol; and Etios wont hit Figo Diesel, as Diesel buyers would still prefer to buy diesel)

Swift ---> Not likely (Etios wont appeal to the young buyers of Swift)
Old 3rd December 2010, 18:55   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Looks like the Altis Diesel maybe helping Toyota take the lead. We can say for sure, until they give the Petrol/Diesel break down.

Also looks like the 1 Lakh price cut on the Fabia is helping sales.
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:02   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post

i20 ---> Very likely (why buy a Korean hatch, when a Jap sedan comes for the same price)
I don't think so ! i20 is a premium hatch , and it's selling in great numbers due to it's strong points ! There is no comparison between i20 and Etios. On the other hand , the sedans like Manza , Fiesta will feel the heat.
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:03   #94
BHPian

Optra --> 262
Linea ---> 301

Optra is supposed to be a car being discontinued and Linea a relatively new car being marketed agressively. Think GM needs to wake up and position the car correctly and do some correction on pricing and OPTRA will outsell Linea.
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:38   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

The Top 10 Best Sellers for Nov 2010!
1. Maruti Alto
2. Maruti Wagon R
3.Hyundai i10
4.Maruti Swift
5.Maruti Dzire
6.Maruti Omni
7.Hyundai i20
8.Hyundai Santro
9.Maruti Ritz
10.Maruti Eeco

Every car in the Top Ten is either a Maruti or a Hyundai.
Reminds me of the Amby-Fiat days.
Mahindra Bolero and Tata Indica are out. They had a continuous stay on these charts for many many months-years in the case of the Indica.
The media had predicted that the Nano will flood the roads, create traffic jams, pollution woes,parking problems and everything else with its projected huge sales as it is affordably priced.But these pundits were wrong. With a meagre 509 sold in the festival season let it not be relegated to history.
From the GM stable the Optra and the Aveo are destined to see lower sales as the competitors with better offerings are many.The Beat and the Spark are better saleswise.
The Indigo Manza is proving to be among the best from the Tata Motors offerings.Look at the SX 4 sales that is less than one fourth of the Manza sales.The SX 4, AStar and even the Estilo can be branded as lemons from the Maruti stable.
The Vitara sells lesser than Rolls Royces in India perhaps!
And the Toyota Camry too sells lesser than Rolls Royces is it?
The Indigo seems to sell better than the Indica now a days.
The Sumo (1500 plus) is selling nearly the same as the Tavera (1400 plus).The Bolero at 6000 odd units, in this class outsells these by as much as four times their figures. The Xylo at 1974 nowhere mathces the Innova's sales at 3575.M&M aimed its marketing to compete with the Innova's niche.
The Scorpio at 3351 units is just a notch below the Innova.
Hindustan Motors car sales (Ambassador) figures are not shown. I am sure it is near the Logan's sales figures at below 1000 units.
Skoda is struggling to reach four figure sales for individual models and even its Fabia is not able to touch 1000 units.
And look at the poor Mitsubishi- its struggling to reach even three figure sales mark for individual models.
And also look at the poor, poor Volvo- its struggling to reach even the two figure sales mark for individual models.
At Honda the lemons are the Jazz and the CRV. The Jazz with upto Rs 60 K discounts/freebies ain't going anywhere.
Look at Toyota. A surprise that the Corolla Altis sold 784 units which is about 75 units less than the Fortuner.The Fortuner at 859 should be astounding for its Rs 20 L SUV segment.Nothing comes close to it.
From the Ford stable the Figo is doing too well but the Fiesta has lost its steam. The Ikon, a dated model selling just 393 units lower than the Fiesta (with all the mileage runs for fuel economy etc etc) proves that the Ikon still draws buyers.
Volkswagen repeats the Tata story and its sedan the Vento outperforms the Polo saleswise.
From the Hyundai stable, it is evident that the i10 and i 20 are going to slog it out in the sales sweepstakes to be the bread and butter for HMIL. The Verna is a flop.The Accent has had its good ol' times.The Santro is struggling to remain popular as it has its own niche following. It looks that the Santro may not fade away so soon.
Compared to the Santro look at what Maruti did to the 800 and the once very popular Zen? Culled them!
And the Accent's earlier competitor the Esteem is also culled.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd December 2010 at 19:45.
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:47   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
Higher the number of cars in the used car market, lower the price right?
Err, not exactly! If that was the case Swift, OHC & Lancer would have had a pathetic resale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Looks like the Altis Diesel maybe helping Toyota take the lead. We can say for sure, until they give the Petrol/Diesel break down.
Before the Altis Diesel launch , Altis was doing the 700-800 nos sales. I dont think the diesel is helping too much ! Had it been a more powerful oil burner it would have settled at 1200+ nos for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Also looks like the 1 Lakh price cut on the Fabia is helping sales.
Yup. Its still not above the 1k mark though but atleast its not giving company to the Jazz in nos

Quote:

It would be interesting to see if it actually happens ! But im not too sure if it will actually dent i20 sales in a big way!

Last edited by karanraheja : 3rd December 2010 at 19:48.
Old 3rd December 2010, 22:26   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Dzire ---> Likely (Maruti buyers are usually very loyal --> so, the hit would be lesser than in the case of i20)

Vento ---> Not likely (Vento is a premium car compared to Etios, I feel)

Figo ---> Not likely (Etios is in a different price segment w.r.t Figo Petrol; and Etios wont hit Figo Diesel, as Diesel buyers would still prefer to buy diesel)

Swift ---> Not likely (Etios wont appeal to the young buyers of Swift)
In addition the top-end versions of i10, Polo & Indica Vista will also face the heat as customers will now have a choice of Sedan at hatch price.
Old 4th December 2010, 01:12   #98
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
I don't think so ! i20 is a premium hatch , and it's selling in great numbers due to it's strong points ! There is no comparison between i20 and Etios. On the other hand , the sedans like Manza , Fiesta will feel the heat.
Fiesta, Verna, Linea, etc will be decimated by Etios. There is no doubt about that. But Fiesta, Verna, Linea, etc. sell paltry numbers.

Etios is priced starting 4.96 lakhs. Being a Toyota car, I feel it will sell more than 5000 units per month. Perhaps even 7000 units/month in six months time.

Etios sales will have to come by cannibalizing one of the big selling cars. And I feel i20 will be the one to be hit most. i20 is indeed a premium hatch. But then a sedan is more premium than a hatch in India, anyday. Especially if the sedan has a 1.5 litre engine and is built by Toyota!

If Etios sedan sales are more than 6000 units per month, Toyota will probably delay production of Etios hatch (I think their new plant for Etios production has max capacity of 6000 units per month).
Old 4th December 2010, 06:26   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Etios sales will have to come by cannibalizing one of the big selling cars. And I feel i20 will be the one to be hit most. i20 is indeed a premium hatch. But then a sedan is more premium than a hatch in India, anyday. Especially if the sedan has a 1.5 litre engine and is built by Toyota!
No doubt Etios will be a great success, but I beg to differ with you on the i20 part.
The two cars cater to different categories of customers. Those seeking to buy a stylish, feature-packed hatch wouldn't want to settle for a midget sedan. Especially after taking a look at the Etios' interiors, which seem so built-to-a-cost when compared to the i20.
I feel the Manza and the Dzire will be the worst affected. These are the two "sedans" most similar to the Etios in every aspect, and the Etios does seem a great alternative to both. And as and when the diesel it out, it would probably be a great hit with the taxi market.
Old 4th December 2010, 11:25   #100
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hindustan Motors added to the opening post. The ol' Amby's sales continue to surprise. Certainly not impressive, but it still outsells many other contemporary sedans.

Quote:
HM

Ambassador : 394
Old 4th December 2010, 11:53   #101
BHPian

Can we safely assume that these are purchases by the government department?
Old 4th December 2010, 12:13   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Compared to the Santro look at what Maruti did to the 800 and the once very popular Zen? Culled them!
That has turned out to be a smart move.
The guys who aspired for a Zen back then are buying Swifts today and those who wanted to upgrade from 2 wheeler to M800 are booking Altos.
The customer gets a bigger/better car and MSIL bigger profits
Old 4th December 2010, 13:13   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
the cars that you've given an example of are highly unsuccessful in the indian market(internationally maybe a different story) for whatever reasons and I'm guessing thats why they're sold cheaply,
Come to think of it, Hyundai does enjoy a high re-sale value, i might have to end up paying a premium for my low mileage beauty :o my bad, but we'll cross the bridge when it comes!

Let us see what happens three years down the line.
Old 4th December 2010, 15:10   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Can we safely assume that these are purchases by the government department?
The government is a buyer but Indigos,SX4's and even the DZire in many cases are replacing the Ambassador in govt purchases.
The silver lining is the Kolkata HC order phasing 15 plus year old taxis from Kolkata streets. The two dealers Shah Automobiles and Austin Distributors are offering Rs 40 - 50 K in exchange for the old taxi to taxi owners who buy a new one.But there too the Indigo CS is making inroads with the stickers "SAME FARE" on the front and rear windscreens to lure passengers.
November 2010 - Indian car sales figures-dsc05078.jpg
November 2010 - Indian car sales figures-dsc05062.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hindustan Motors added to the opening post. The ol' Amby's sales continue to surprise. Certainly not impressive, but it still outsells many other contemporary sedans.
Thanks GTO for the figures.Thats a dismal scenario for the Ambassador with only 394.As you rightly say it outsells some other sedans, but till about two years back the sales would average about 1000 units a month.
Old 4th December 2010, 19:18   #105
BHPian

Kudos to Maruti

Maruti has again proved they that keep up the sales even if other manufactures launch new cars! Having that said that, I'm not at all surprised to see Maruti at the top. Yes, it's just because of the fact that they knows for sure how to win the trust of common man. Kudos to Maruti.

- HM Ambassador sales figure are not impressive, considering the fact that they used to see almost 1000+ units every month. I guess that with the New HM Ambassador around the corner, the figures might improve.

- The Nissan Micra sales figure looks Okay. I'm sure that the sales will improve a bit, given the fact that Nissan has launched Micra in diesel avatar.

- VW has succeed in selling 20 VW Beetle. But, Fiat has failed miserably to sell at least a single Fiat 500. Wake up Fiat, you need to advertise your cars well.

- The VW Vento sales are impressive to say the least.

- The Tata Nano figures have made me very sad. Let me hope that Tata takes this seriously and launch an improved Tata Nano with a much more silent engine, proper hatch door which can be opened, a proper glove box and all.

Though I'm not a Fiat fan, I'm very much disappointed to see people cribbing about the poor sales of Fiat for the month of November,

The FIAT sales figure given are not the amount of cars sold by FIAT to local consumers. But its been amount of cars that are handed over by FIAT to Tata to distribute in its Dealer Network. The main reason for lower level of sales from FIAT to TATA is that they want to reduce the number of cars that are left in hands of dealer which are marked with year end dates. As this leads to unwanted situations where buyers dont want to buy a year old dated model. Thus what would happen would be that they would take the orders and sales through dealers and then probably would deliver from there current stocks or probably would deliver those cars in 2011.

This is what my friend have been told on his visit to factory on 3rd Dec. Even he could not see much of stock at factory, which suggest that company dont was to lose money on giving discounts for year end sales.

...and here is what I've found while browsing through the Fiat India site. I'm sharing it for the benefit of fellow T-BHPians.

November 2010 - Indian car sales figures-offer.jpg

Last edited by Surviving Brain : 4th December 2010 at 19:22.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks