Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2010, 10:52   #181
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by realactivex View Post
Are there any indications on the bookings so far(how many across india)
if Toyota has a 5000 per month production, and if they quote 6 months, it means they have had 30000 bookings so far? or have they left spare capacity unused to cater to its hatch sibling?
Rewind few pages and it had some 3500 bookings in the end of last week. They have 70k production capacity for ETIOS, so this time wait should not be long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Single wiper and central meter-console have not been received well by Indians so far, but I suppose many will be willing to overlook those for a Toyota.
Yes once you start using the vehicle i dont think a central speedo or wiper will matter that much. Then the Toyota quality and service, that will take care of any apprehensions. ie if they manage to do a good job with a short delivery time.
Old 6th December 2010, 12:29   #182
Senior - BHPian

I was at the Toyota showroom on Saturday evening. There were only posters and a computer demo of the car. There were also scaled models of Etios in all colours kept on the display.

I felt that the car looked simple, no-nonsense looks. It is definitely not for everyone's taste. But, but, but, PRICE PRICE PRICE. Toyota has come out with a killing price.

If I go for this car, it will be the V variant for sure. There is hardly any difference in the V and VX variants (DVD player, side skirting, leather wrapped steering wheel). And the price difference is close to 50k. Not worth! And I simply don't like that red-black combinations. Red is a strict NO NO for me, atleast in the interiors.

Here are the OTR prices in Pune:

EJ(J): 564,020
EI(G): 616,920
EH(G SP): 673,590 (SP: Safety Package)
EG(V): 721,210
EF(VX): 772,270

When I enquired about the number of bookings, the sales person said that they have got more than 100 bookings on the first day of launch itself. The waiting period could be anywhere between 1 month to 3 months, depending on the production.

All and all, the car is worth its killing price. I only hope that Toyota has not done cost cutting on the technical part. Cost cutting on the cosmetic part is acceptable.
Old 6th December 2010, 13:40   #183
BHPian

When Indica VISTA was launched everyone said that it is ugly to have a central console. Now those people are silent when Toyota ETIOS offered it (may be very few are saying ugly but surely not everyone who critisised VISTA!).

They would have offered following with bit more price which i do not mind to pay for a toyota badge (may be by 50K or even 1 Lakh)
1) Adjustable headrest
2) Adjustable driver seat
3) Electric ORVMS
4) Decent music system

It is too much for me to digest that Toyota has stooped down so low that they are not offering anything and just want to play with brand name.. OK I am convinced that they offer quality but hye that also seems to be absent from this ETIOS (as plastic quality is not that great..may be just like Manza?) may be engine reliability is the USP of this car and nothing else.

Also ETIOS is going to be a TAXI while MANZA (indigo's are but then MANZA looks are too different that normal indogo's) and DZIRE are not popular (or even not) amongst taxi brigade.I would not like to be sitting in a taxi type car.of course its my personal opinion.

Last edited by enthu : 6th December 2010 at 13:48.
Old 6th December 2010, 13:57   #184
BHPian

I don't think Toyota would do any cost cutting as far as the technical part is concerned.
Old 6th December 2010, 15:05   #185
BHPian

I'd pick Manza anyday over the etios, and with a diesel engine this car might cost as much as a verna crdi!!
Old 6th December 2010, 16:29   #186
BHPian

9 months waiting already!

Lakozy Toyota (Mumbai) has indicated that if the car is booked today (Dec 6th, 2010), they can deliver the car by Sep 2011. Yup, a cool 9 months of waiting!!

By the way, the Etios can be seen at Phoenix Mills on 8th December and Oberoi Mall, Goregaon East on 9th.
Old 6th December 2010, 16:39   #187
Team-BHP Support

Am not very convinced ^^^ maybe its the dealer trying to create a scare to attract more booking before new year itself. 70k production a year = 5800 a month, if what he say is correct booking should reach 52k by now?? Highly unlikely??!
Old 6th December 2010, 16:46   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Am not very convinced ^^^ maybe its the dealer trying to create a scare to attract more booking before new year itself. 70k production a year = 5800 a month, if what he say is correct booking should reach 52k by now?? Highly unlikely??!
Same here in Delhi.

Galaxy Toyota is saying that if you book your car today, you will get it in May 2011. That’s a waiting period of 6 months, and the test drives haven’t started as of yet. I too think that this hype is being created by the dealers.

Anyways, car will be available for test drive after 25th Dec’ 10.

Any idea where we can see the car in person in NCR?
Old 6th December 2010, 19:44   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The dealer said that production will be ramped up to full capacity only later in the year and that right now the car allotments will be rationed across the dealers.

Apparently Mumbai bookings have reached 1000 in just 4 days, as opposed to a target of 1500 for the whole of December.

I'm just repeating what the dealer said. He could be artificially trying to create demand, though I don't know how effective it will be as a strategy. The customer will just change their mind and go for a Manza or DZire
Old 6th December 2010, 20:04   #190
Team-BHP Support

If this ^^ is the truth, then expect market to move on to other manufacturer's. I honestly don't think Toyota can pull off a fortuner with ETIOS.
Old 7th December 2010, 01:37   #191
Senior - BHPian

The Etios will be on display 11-12 Dec at EA mall , if it is of any interest to Chennai members. I'd rather wait for the hatchback.
Old 7th December 2010, 09:32   #192
BHPian

There is an interview with Vikram S Kirloskar, published in today's The Financial Express

Quote:
With the Etios product range, we shall also participate in the B segment, thus entering the mainstream, around 40-45% of the market.
Old 7th December 2010, 18:33   #193
Senior - BHPian

I have been invited for a TD of the Vento at Vile Parle, seems that the test vehicle is readily available. But reading about the delivery timelines makes me rethink if it is worth a TD also.

Seems to be a rerun of the Fortuner, Polo & Vento (VW) or the Indica when it was launched originally.
Old 7th December 2010, 22:54   #194
Senior - BHPian

Some updates on bookings read on Etios wins hearts: Bookings cross 7000 since launch
Old 7th December 2010, 23:04   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
7000 bookings in just 5 days of launch!!! That's crazy.
Sales report for the month of Dec. will be interesting.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed