Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 22:17   #1
Team-BHP Support

Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report

Note from Support : GTO's Etios review has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the review. This thread is closed.

Link to Auto Expo Unveiling

Dec 1st 2010 saw the launch of Toyota's made for India Sedan ETIOS. Work of 4000 engineers for last 4 years being showcased to the world, for the first time. Team-BHP was invited for the launch and this is a mini report from my side of the event today.

Venue: Palace Grounds, Bangalore. As i walked in i was welcomed by an array of cars and suv's from Toyota stable that are available for Indian consumer.

Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0039.jpg

Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0040.jpg

Event was scheduled to start at 12 got delayed by about 7 minutes. First was a brief Toyota India corporate movie, which covered the history of Toyota from 1987 when they formed the Toyota Kirloskar venture.

The stage.
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0001.jpg

This was followed by the address by Toyota President Mr Akio TOYODA aka Toyoda San. He spoke about Toyota heritage and how it was customized for Indian market but always leveraging the strong point QUALITY. Interesting to note that they have a full fledged Technical Training running in Bangalore and the first batch graduated this year.

Other mention worthy points:
  • Tailored products and practices for Indian needs but Quality being most important
  • All new ETIOS was designed for Indian market to cater to broader range of market
  • Road testing all over India, more than 2 lakh kms
  • Expansion of highy quality sales and support network

Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0002.jpg

To give more info about the actual product, Mr Yoshinori, Chief Engineer behind ETIOS took the dias.

He explained how an extensive market research which lead to the design of the new sedan. The research revealed that India is a very cost conscious but image conscious also. Mileage, Price and Style the 3 important factor for the Indian buyer. Toyota decided to leverage on their strong point of Quality and then attack the cliche of being a premium market product company, that Toyota is associated with.

ETIOS stands for Spirit and Principle.

All new design for India and then for the world, its a true Sedan design not a hatch redesigned to be a sedan. Spacious inside and compact outside, smiling front, flat rear floor pan, side skirts, smooth C pillars, chrome boot guard etc

Dash design inspired from aircraft design. Interesting to note that the design won the Good design award in Japan in 2010.

I will skip details like engine power etc since its already published, but ARAI rating of 17.6 KMPL should be music to ears for the Indian customer.

Specific for Indian conditions, points to note are the: anti corrosion steel, Rocker mould (thats the ruff thingie on the running board), protection for fuel and brake lines.

Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0003.jpg

Mr Sandeep Sing Marketing head took over and explained how the concept was introduced in Auto expo, then the road shows they did to get inputs from market etc.

Good to note:
  • Dealership increased from 97 in Dec 09 To 150 by Dec 2010
  • Brand ambassador AR Rahman
  • USP Premium product at affordable price
  • Hatchback planned for launch in April 2011. LIVA depicting Full Of Life.
  • TV commercial being aired starting tomorrow
  • Booking open today @ 50k and delivery by Jan 2011.

And the All important pricing was announced by him.

Ex showroom Delhi.

Model J - 4.96 Lakhs

Model G - 5.46 Lakhs & 5.96 Lakhs for Option pack (safety)

Model V - 6.41 Lakhs

Model VX - 6.86 Lakhs

Update: Ex showroom Bengaluru.

Model J - 4,925,28

Model G - 5,44,135 & Option pack - 5,94,635

Model V- 6,38,816

Model Vx- 6,84,314

Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0004.jpg

QA sessions followed this, interesting to note that Toyoda San was very candid about the quality issue's that is causing recalls. Accepting the issue and even offering apology for the same.

With ETIOS also Toyota expects feedback, from this very important market of India and promised swift resolutions if anything reported. Which is quite comforting, i went through this dilemma of buying a new product when i bought the Swift DDiS when it was launched.
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0005.jpg

Some glam before the actual launch, yup we all were getting fed up with all the waiting to see the product in person!
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0007.jpg

Finally the ETIOS emerges
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0008.jpg

Opposite side the LIVA
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0010.jpg

The Toyota team posing with the car
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0011.jpg

Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0012.jpg

Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0013.jpg

And some glam for our eyes, Diana Haden
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0015.jpg

Ehm! Ok lets get back to the star of the day
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0016.jpg

Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0018.jpg

Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0020.jpg

Look at the 170 ground clearance!
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0021.jpg

Very honestly the rear without the lip looked better and will kill the Logan feel.
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0022.jpg

Heart of the matter all important engine and tranny. That valve cover looks like its from the Maruti 800 era of 90's!
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0023.jpg

Huge boot 590 liters! For the light travelers in us Indians
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0025.jpg

Interiors, very honestly overall feel is NOT that bad. Hmm more of hyundai santro finish. Though there were some pieces which were out of place and below the standard. More of it later.
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0026.jpg

4 one liter bottles will hold in here! and its chilled!
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0029.jpg

ETIOS badge, but this is one of the piece which felt below par and seemed like it will come out with a nice wipe down after washing!
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0030.jpg

Door pad again pretty good for a aam janta market. That red i personally dont like. It comes in top end model!
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0031.jpg

Seats i like, comfy but seat back is super thin and contoured to give max space. Just a frame and loads of foam, not even an adjustable head restrainer. Inspired from Nano but i think it works for majority of the buyers?
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0033.jpg

Steering is niaccceeeeee
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0034.jpg

Center speedo, is it true that this helps to keep the focus more on the road/less distraction while checking the meters?
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0035.jpg

The worst part i spotted, looked like it came out of a truck. Me guess its headlight fog light OR level adjuster. Had 4 positions IIRC.
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0036.jpg

Minimalistic trim inside wheel wells! Cost conscious aren't we!
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0038.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 19th December 2010 at 20:36. Reason: Adding thread closure note
Old 1st December 2010, 22:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

Specs- Tech / Exterior / Comfort / Interior / Safety

Uploading details of ETIOS Spec.
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-altistecspec.jpg

Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-altisextcomfort.jpg

Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-altisintsafety.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd December 2010 at 12:39.
Old 1st December 2010, 22:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Heart of the matter all important engine and tranny. That valve cover looks like its from the Maruti 800 era of 90's!
Attachment 462206
Nice pics. Looks like a R18 style exh man.

Honestly the red is out of place and does not match the overall staid personality of the car.
Old 1st December 2010, 22:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

So i guess the hatch will start at 4 lacs ?

4.5 lacs for mid variant of the Etios hatch does not sound too bad, specially considering the i10 Kappa2 pricing.
Old 1st December 2010, 22:31   #5
BANNED

Assuming that the real competition for the Toyota Etios would be the Maruti Suzuki sedans, then D'Zire wins hands down, and for more than just price. Big issue here is that the high-end version of the Etios is still an Etios - but the highest end option from Maruti Suzuki is the SX4, and not the D'Zire.

In addition, there are some features with the Etios that really really look "cheap", for example, the single wiper, the orange interiors, fixed head restraints, and is it only me or does the engine bay look too cluttered? Customer research is great fun - I've been part of it, customers want one thing but pay for something totally different. And 2 lakh kilometres is hardly any road testing.

Went to the Toyota and Maruti dealerships here in South Delhi (Kotla and Lajpat Nagar . . .) and the take is that the Etios is aimed fair and square at the taxi market, to take on the Manza/Indigo more than the Suzuki D'Zire/SX4. Any regular visitor to bangkok will get the implication - the Corolla is too expensive to be a taxi here, so.

Sorry to be so bearish on the whole Toyota Etios thing, where apart from the unfortunate choice of our very own CWG AR Rahman, the way we have been going on and on about what is essentially yet another low-cost sedan working on the same old same old petrol spark ignition IC technology is beginning to jar too. There is a world of new technology out there, and if Toyota realy wanted to establish a beach-head, they could have given us something new.

Instead we get something cheap, and the discounts on the SX4 will do the rest. Where is the famous Toyota story on safety, for example, there is no input on crash tests. Likewise, what about warranties, after-sales, spare parts, the works?

It is not just the showroom price.

We need a reality check when covering new launches, and the tough questions need answers, too.
Old 1st December 2010, 22:40   #6
BHPian

@jaggu nice pictures and crisp information. I must say the product as a whole is growing on me though the sour points still remain the Jumbo sized biig rear tail lamps, center console, no adjustable Head restraints.

I guess the rear chrome lip can be removed as it is not part of the first two variants.

some important questions if you can reply.

a) The quality of plastics is it soft or hard and how is the interior feel in general. The red interiors seem a bit jazzy in the wrong sense especially on the doors( why the top variant for pete's sake)
b) The spare wheel is it the regular one or just a namesake smallish tyre.
c) Any information on the diesel launch.
d) What is the Ex showroom price in Bangalore.Any idea. Is it slightly less as it is manufactured locally.
e) Any visible evidence of how the weight of the car is so less.
f) Did you get a chance to check on the hatch back and anything interesting to share.

When can we expect Team-Bhp review
Old 1st December 2010, 23:01   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Honestly the red is out of place and does not match the overall staid personality of the car.
Very honestly the seat looks fine in real life, its the door pads that are jarring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malq View Post
Assuming that the real competition for the Toyota Etios would be the Maruti Suzuki sedans, then D'Zire wins hands down, and for more than just price. Big issue here is that the high-end version of the Etios is still an Etios - but the highest end option from Maruti Suzuki is the SX4, and not the D'Zire.
I still feel that MUL will feel the heat with ETIOS VS Dezire Petrol. Toyota is tough competition on quality front. This along with an agressive delivery period can quite stir up the market.

Till diesel comes in Taxi market might not really jump into ETIOS band wagon, me feels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
a) The quality of plastics is it soft or hard and how is the interior feel in general. The red interiors seem a bit jazzy in the wrong sense especially on the doors( why the top variant for pete's sake)
b) The spare wheel is it the regular one or just a namesake smallish tyre.
c) Any information on the diesel launch.
d) What is the Ex showroom price in Bangalore.Any idea. Is it slightly less as it is manufactured locally.
e) Any visible evidence of how the weight of the car is so less.
f) Did you get a chance to check on the hatch back and anything interesting to share.
a) Hard but pretty decent according to me, the top part of dash had a very new line texture maybe to reduce the reflection. Yes there were some bits out of place but overall decent. Even the rubber parts were of good quality, that we expect from Toyota.
b) Unfortunately by the time i got to it too many people were around and couldn't find space to lift that neat mat/cover to check. But i have a feeling its full size.
c) No, they are still discussing and finalizing the configuration, dont see it coming out before LIVA launch.
d) Info was not available when i checked. Ex showroom should be close since BLR is where the car is produced. Road tax and other taxes will be the worry part.
e) Sheet metal is thinner, front door were heavier than rear! Though they closed with crisp soft thuds no where close to Linea's of the world. So obviously sheet metal as thin as MUL and Honda's of the world.
f) Hatch was displayed only at the dias and dias guarded by big mean looking bouncers! Did not get a chance to see the LIVA's bum also

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st December 2010 at 23:03.
Old 1st December 2010, 23:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

How abt things like ABS, Airbag and Alloy wheels, are they part of the highest trim or have they been removed as part of cost cutting.

Looking a the dash, dont think the passenger airbag is present, also I dont find the ABS logo in back of the car, were the ones on display the higher end variants?
Old 1st December 2010, 23:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

The dashboard is the weakest part of the car's design. I can't digest it.

The quality of plastics is okay I felt but some parts are down-market.

The most horrible thing I saw from the pics are the front seats - they are so thin ! I haven't seen any car other than the Nano with such thin seats. And no adjustable headrests on top of that What was Toyota thinking? cost-cutting ke naam se kuch bhi chalta?
I think the skinny seats are the biggest reason for the abundant leg space at the rear.
The engine bay looks cluttered as well!

Equipment levels are also minimal and falls way short of the competition!

Overall, a very average product at a good price! It will set the sales chart on fire!
Old 1st December 2010, 23:25   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dash design inspired from aircraft design. Interesting to note that the design won the Good design award in Japan in 2010.
I'm shocked! Thats a horrible looking dashboard, which is even worse than the one on the Brio by Honda.

Quote:
That valve cover looks like its from the Maruti 800 era of 90's!
Our 1980 model Toyota Corolla had a similar looking valve cover. Deja vu!

Quote:
Minimalistic trim inside wheel wells! Cost conscious aren't we!
Horrible omission, IMO.

To sum up, i am quite disappointed by the Etios.
It scores poorly in the looks department, even worse in the interiors (going by the pics), design similarity to the Logan which is a bad thing IMO, and lack of a diesel mill at the moment.

I must say, the Dzire seems to be a better proposition in the petrol trim, according to me.
Old 1st December 2010, 23:30   #11
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
How abt things like ABS, Airbag and Alloy wheels, are they part of the highest trim or have they been removed as part of cost cutting.

Looking a the dash, dont think the passenger airbag is present, also I dont find the ABS logo in back of the car, were the ones on display the higher end variants?
Please check out the website. There is no compromise on safety on the higher version.

TOYOTA - ETIOS Q Class

@jaggu - Thank you for the comprehensive report. It is so good to be part of this great forum. Car introduced today at noon and we get to read the report & see the photos the same day!!!
Old 1st December 2010, 23:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Please check out the website. There is no compromise on safety on the higher version.

TOYOTA - ETIOS Q Class

@jaggu - Thank you for the comprehensive report. It is so good to be part of this great forum. Car introduced today at noon and we get to read the report & see the photos the same day!!!
Thanks for the information, then I guess the ones in display might have not been higher end, for reasons mentioned above.

My question was the price quoted for the highest end does it include Airbag and ABS. Or like Maruti is an optional fitmet in the higher end, for which one must shell additional bucks.

Still the how come the cabin is so big when there is airbag in it, in fact I dont see provision for airbag in the pics.

Last edited by xingamazon : 1st December 2010 at 23:43.
Old 1st December 2010, 23:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Pity there is no diesel. Otherwise this would have hit tata squarely in the middle of their target market ( the workhorse sedan with a bit of flair)
Without the diesel edge, not sure if enough people will fall for it. Apart from the stellar service, not much to help it..
Old 1st December 2010, 23:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Super report Jaggu. Thanks for covering all the high points in detail.

From the pictures it certainly feels like a built to cost car. From the other thread I am actually surprised that the base model lacks power steering. The pricing looks good for now, I certainly am going to check the Mumbai OTR prices. I think the reliability factor alone is going to be the USP of the Etios.

I'm assuming this is the top end model you have clicked? No ACC in there? Did you sit in the rear seat? Was it comfortable? For now I think the Manza has the best rear seat i the segment plus one higher.

A full review should open up a lot or perspectives . Lets wait and watch.
Old 2nd December 2010, 00:03   #15
Team-BHP Support

Toyota are targeting 4 segments with the Etios and the agressive pricing shows that.

1. Entry level sedans like the Dzire and Manza are in for trouble. The dzire especially. Tata have a long way to go to match even the Etios in Quality. The panel gaps in the Etios pics show this.
2. Premium hatch backs like the i20/Polo/Jazz. Instead of paying 7L for a premium hatch with a 1.2L engine one can get the V or G variant of the Etios sedan.
3. Mid segment sedans like the ANHC, Linea, Vento. A buyer looking for a Sedan but not able to stretch above 10L for the top of the line ANHC or Vento so is looking at the lower variants will have the Etios VX variant to choose from now. The ANHC at 9L+ for the S does not have most of the features compared to even V variant of the Etios like alloys, fog lamps, CD player etc.
4. Taxi market. J variant at 4.96L looks to be specially targeted at the taxi market.

The Etios may not be perfect but it will for people to not consider it when looking at a car from the above segments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
The most horrible thing I saw from the pics are the front seats - they are so thin ! I haven't seen any car other than the Nano with such thin seats. And no adjustable headrests on top of that What was Toyota thinking? cost-cutting ke naam se kuch bhi chalta?
I think the skinny seats are the biggest reason for the abundant leg space at the rear.
The engine bay looks cluttered as well!

Equipment levels are also minimal and falls way short of the competition!
The seats are thin but what's the issue in that if they work? The idea is cost cutting in places where you don't get affected. The steering wheel quality looks fab which is what you are touching. The headrests being fixed save on cost but they provide the same use as adjustable ones. Not a comparison but the Mitsubishi Evo costing 50L also comes with fixed head rests.

Equipment levels are lower and I would have expected the following:

1. Electric mirrors
2. Seat height adjust
3. Climate control on top end variant
4. MID
Closed Thread

Most Viewed