Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 00:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
T

The seats are thin but what's the issue in that if they work? The idea is cost cutting in places where you don't get affected. The steering wheel quality looks fab which is what you are touching. The headrests being fixed save on cost but they provide the same use as adjustable ones. Not a comparison but the Mitsubishi Evo costing 50L also comes with fixed head rests.
So are you saying that well-bolstered seats and adjustable head rests are of no use? That is something I really did not know.
I admit the steering wheels looks great! Also the large cooled glovebox is an excellent feature.
Old 2nd December 2010, 00:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

@vid6639 Thats a very good summary of toyota's target market.Those 4 markets are in themselves huge and if toyota can capture 20% from each it will be able to meet its sales targets not too mention newer buyers expanding the market.

The ANHC,Vento linea suddenly feels very expensive!
Old 2nd December 2010, 00:22   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
So are you saying that well-bolstered seats and adjustable head rests are of no use? That is something I really did not know.
I admit the steering wheels looks great! Also the large cooled glovebox is an excellent feature.
Seats being thicker do not equate to being well bolstered. As Jaggu mentioned there's a lot of foam in the frame. So until we actually sit and try out we won't know. It depends on the materials used.

The adjustable headrests need to be adjusted for tall and short drivers. The fixed one in the new gen cars like A star, Micra, Nano and Etios are fixed but longer and even for a 6 footer will extend above the head. So the purpose is served. Remember the head restraints are a safety feature during a collision and not to rest your head on while driving.
Old 2nd December 2010, 00:40   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The dashboard is the weakest part of the car's design. I can't digest it.
=======
Overall, a very average product at a good price! It will set the sales chart on fire!
Dashboard is not that bad, but view in front of the driver is... well rather boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I'm shocked! Thats a horrible looking dashboard, which is even worse than the one on the Brio by Honda.
=======
To sum up, i am quite disappointed by the Etios.
It scores poorly in the looks department, even worse in the interiors (going by the pics), design similarity to the Logan which is a bad thing IMO, and lack of a diesel mill at the moment.

I must say, the Dzire seems to be a better proposition in the petrol trim, according to me.
When i saw in person the central part felt better, maybe to keep the driver from noticing the blant dashboard view. Toyota mentioned that center console is better from driving/safety perspective.

I will give it to Toyota for the perception of quality more than Dezire, even without turning the key.

Look at this way, we both had experience with iKON. Interiors are maybe similar, if that engine and chassis is entertaining than say the accent. Deal is sealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Please check out the website. There is no compromise on safety on the higher version.

TOYOTA - ETIOS Q Class

@jaggu - Thank you for the comprehensive report. It is so good to be part of this great forum. Car introduced today at noon and we get to read the report & see the photos the same day!!!
Yup right from G option packs are available.

And thank you, just consider this as we sharing the invite from Toyota with all of you. In whatever lil way possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Thanks for the information, then I guess the ones in display might have not been higher end, for reasons mentioned above.

My question was the price quoted for the highest end does it include Airbag and ABS. Or like Maruti is an optional fitmet in the higher end, for which one must shell additional bucks.
It was Vx variant. The top end version. Brochure says D+P airbag standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Without the diesel edge, not sure if enough people will fall for it. Apart from the stellar service, not much to help it..
Reliability which is key USP for Toyota in India? What about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Super report Jaggu. Thanks for covering all the high points in detail.

========

I'm assuming this is the top end model you have clicked? No ACC in there? Did you sit in the rear seat? Was it comfortable? For now I think the Manza has the best rear seat i the segment plus one higher.

A full review should open up a lot or perspectives . Lets wait and watch.
Thanks Dippy, yes No ACC. Rear seat is comfy and right incline for backrest, but as suspected the under thigh support is average to bring out the leg space. But typical Indian build of people under 5.10" height should not feel very uncomfortable.

Yes a proper test drive report only can reveal details. It was very difficult to even get space to properly sit and review such things at the launch today. I was also running late with my schedules, so had to head back fast.

Quote:
Toyota are targeting 4 segments with the Etios and the agressive pricing shows that.
=======
The Etios may not be perfect but it will for people to not consider it when looking at a car from the above segments.
===========
The seats are thin but what's the issue in that if they work? The idea is cost cutting in places where you don't get affected. The steering wheel quality looks fab which is what you are touching. The headrests being fixed save on cost but they provide the same use as adjustable ones.
=========
Equipment levels are lower and I would have expected the following:

1. Electric mirrors
2. Seat height adjust
3. Climate control on top end variant
4. MID
Do you work at Toyota? I guess not from the last list, but you are bang on and i agree with your market pitch also.

Quote:
Look what TATA did with Nano, if you wont miss it, dont bother. I say it works to a great extent, especially with majority of the nation.
Old 2nd December 2010, 01:05   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Do you work at Toyota? I guess not from the last list, but you are bang on and i agree with your market pitch also.
lol. I haven't become a Toyota fanboy, don't worry. It's just a very good and well thought out product IMO.

Typical toyota traits. It won't do one thing exceptional, but will do everything satisfactorily. Jack of all but master of none. Same with the Altis. I can't find one thing wrong but neither can I find anything special about the car.
Old 2nd December 2010, 01:38   #21
Senior - BHPian

Crispy report there @Jaggu. Can you spell the price ranges for the benefit of others ?
Looks like this is going to ruffle quite some feathers after all its a Toyota standing up for quality and A.S.S.
Old 2nd December 2010, 01:49   #22
BHPian

This car reminds me a lot of a Toyota Echo available in North America in 2002/2003. If I am not mistaken, it too had a center mounted speedometer and a couple other gauges. It was priced slightly higher than the Hyundai Accent in the USA then. While this car does not appeal to me at all, I can see why this car would do well in India initially -

Mileage a la Suzuki
Re-sale value of a Japanese car
Toyota Brand
Sedan having a "big car with boot" image which gives us Indians a boost

Just today a slightly shocked friend called me and said, "Dude, Toyota launched a sedan for 5 lakhs!" He just paid 6.5 for a Hyundai i20 and I can see where he is coming from. But I feel, it will still be a bit of a let down when the Indian consumer sees some ridiculous cost cutting - single wiper. Comeon, I can understand the need to cut costs in a 1 lakh car but this? The integrated audio looks as tacky as the one in A-star. The plastic quality seems bad too. Pound for pound and rupee for rupee, if this targets the VFM segment, is it a better buy than the Manza which offers far more in practically every department. To me it looks like it is not competing with the current generation of cars but with the previous generation of sedans like the Hyundai Accent from the features on offer and hoping that the Toyota name will help it sell a lot of products. The sad part is, it probably will.
Old 2nd December 2010, 02:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

Great report Jaggu

I find this funny, they say that this car was designed for India & then say that the dashboard design got a prize in Japan
I for one don't like the dashboard design, its very asymmetrical & the colors look very dull & old school. The speedo too looks plane jane, I think the Manza has a better design than this one. The steering looks nice though.

Even exterior wise its a mixed bag. As for head restraints , well even the i10 & Alto have same design & no one complained so should be fine here.

I hope the engine & overall package is what will attract customers.
Old 2nd December 2010, 02:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Good Job jaggu!
Am not impressed by etios at all except for the huge boot.
People can live with an ok exterior but what about interior-its not at all good from any angle!
And i doubt that nano like seats will be as comfortable as regular seats on a long highway drive.

For me product holds the value not the badge and i will pick manza anyday above etios. Still in brand crazy country like india it will sell a lot!
Old 2nd December 2010, 03:10   #25
BHPian

Jaggu, Thanks for the fantastic pics. For everyone's convenience, could you please share the ex showroom prices of all the variants.
Old 2nd December 2010, 07:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
This car reminds me a lot of a Toyota Echo available in North America in 2002/2003. If I am not mistaken, it too had a center mounted speedometer and a couple other gauges. It was priced slightly higher than the Hyundai Accent in the USA then.
Thanks for pointing this point out invidious. Echo is a lesser know product of Toyota in this part of the world.
In 2005-6 while working in Oman, I had been given a run down Echo.

The Etios is surely a development from the same mould.

The USP's of the ECHO that would hold true for the Etios were:

1. Unearthly reliability. I really hoped the car would break down so that I get a newer car. But she kept going on even after 400k on the odo. And Service was dirt cheap.
2. Superb fuel efficiency. It had a 1.3 motor then. Dont be surprised if it beats even the hatchbacks hands down.
3.Quite nippy to drive in urban speeds. Light Car and a motor that is very happy at the red line. Rubbery gear shift was a sore though!
4. Suprisingly spacious for its small dimensions. Good Boot space also.

Demerits:
1. Looked horrible. Back then we used to call it too Korean. Please keep in mind that back then, the Koreans used to make real ugly cars.
2. 3 Digit Speeds were real scary. The car was highly susceptible to cross-wind. But the car was capable of doing 190kmph on the speedo. I was stupid enough to try.
3. It was the cabbies favorite. And mine was white too.

Just few pics of the ECHO. You will know where the Etios got the looks from.
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-toyota_echo_1894239_orig.jpg

Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-echoi02.jpg

Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-echo_1894239_2.jpg
Old 2nd December 2010, 07:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seats being thicker do not equate to being well bolstered. As Jaggu mentioned there's a lot of foam in the frame. So until we actually sit and try out we won't know. It depends on the materials used.

The adjustable headrests need to be adjusted for tall and short drivers. The fixed one in the new gen cars like A star, Micra, Nano and Etios are fixed but longer and even for a 6 footer will extend above the head. So the purpose is served. Remember the head restraints are a safety feature during a collision and not to rest your head on while driving.
I agree with you on the seat. But common sense says that the seats might not be so comfortable for long drives but I will wait for first hand experience before passing a judgment.
I do not agree with you on the headrests - the one size fits all funda do not hold good to me. Take the Micra for example - only the base version (XE) comes with integrated headrests. The higher versions come with adjustable headrests.So, this clearly tells you that it is a cost cutting measure and nothing else.
The newer gen I10 has adjustable headrests. If the integrated headrests in the old I10 were so good, why those have been replaced ?
Old 2nd December 2010, 07:59   #28
BHPian

Considering the equipment levels the top 2 versions are very overpriced. at those prices they dont compete with dzire but with sx4. and imo sx4 is a much better looker and much more premium looking car than etios.

still the 2 base versions will pull in the numbers for toyota.
Old 2nd December 2010, 08:16   #29
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Thanks for the information, then I guess the ones in display might have not been higher end, for reasons mentioned above.

My question was the price quoted for the highest end does it include Airbag and ABS. Or like Maruti is an optional fitmet in the higher end, for which one must shell additional bucks.

Still the how come the cabin is so big when there is airbag in it, in fact I dont see provision for airbag in the pics.
On closer look at the pictures posted by Jaggu, the "SRS AIRBAG" label is visible. I have highlighted those in the two photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0029-passenger-airbag.jpg  

Toyota ETIOS Sedan: World Premiere! Pictures, Pricing, Specs & Short Report-etios0034-driver-airbag.jpg  

Old 2nd December 2010, 08:29   #30
BHPian

Central dashboard in a sedan is just impossible to digest for me. It reminds me of the chevy spark and the nano. Cant believe a Toyota car has come out bummer on the interiors.

Low price is all good and eveything. But when u sit inside a *sedan* u need that good feeling. It looks really really substandard from the pics. Comparing this with the Fiestas and Lineas and the NHCs is way too optimistic. The guy who has the dough and the taste to consider the Lineas and ANHCs wont even consider this dud from Toyota IMO.

Really disappointing. Corrola and Fortuner are such fabulous products; wonder why Toyota chose this subpremium way to increase numbers.

From looking forward to the car with all excitement, I have already started hating it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks