Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 08:56   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I do not agree with you on the headrests - the one size fits all funda do not hold good to me. Take the Micra for example - only the base version (XE) comes with integrated headrests. The higher versions come with adjustable headrests.So, this clearly tells you that it is a cost cutting measure and nothing else.
The newer gen I10 has adjustable headrests. If the integrated headrests in the old I10 were so good, why those have been replaced ?
OT: The new i10 does not have adjustable headrests. They are still integrated ones even in Asta variant.

I do agree that the integrated headrests are a cost cutting measure. What I'm trying to say is that even though they are to reduce costs, they serve the same purpose as adjustable headrests.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:01   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Very crisp and at the same time detailed report Jaggu. I'm convinced to give a 5 star rating for the effort put in.

Some of the features missing listed by Vid, will be added at a later stage. Probably a mid life facelift. Seeing innova, the product in itself is almost complete with no scope for improvements and facelifts. This time Toyota has left some thing left in the bag.

The diesel variant and the goodies will seal the matter when the competition hots up. For now, what they have offered for the price is very good.

Lets see, how long the queue is for Toyota cars.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:03   #33
BHPian

The four variants of Etios are – J,G,V,VX.

Etios J price is Rs. 4,96,000
Etios G price is Rs. 5,46,000
Etios V price is Rs. 6,41,100
Etios VX price is Rs. 6,86,000

Arvind K
Indica V2 1.4 Petrol (Dec 2004 - present), 37k kms

Last edited by ZedMae : 2nd December 2010 at 09:04.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:17   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
OT: The new i10 does not have adjustable headrests. They are still integrated ones even in Asta variant.

I do agree that the integrated headrests are a cost cutting measure. What I'm trying to say is that even though they are to reduce costs, they serve the same purpose as adjustable headrests.
yes i agree that integrated headrests are a measure to cut cost.

but, one point in favor of them is that they are not removable. i see in a lot of cars people just remove the detachable headrests ignoring that fact that they are a safety measure and can prevent a neck snap in case of an accident.

so i guess it does have a positive point to it.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:20   #35
BHPian

Good report and nice pictures Jaggu, thanks for that. I was following the launch very closely yesterday.

Toyota have employed cost cutting measures and it is visible. The dashboard is a little hard to digest, but elsewhere, people who have test driven the vehicle are quite happy with the dashboard quality. The pricing by Toyota is aggressive and affordable.

One thing that baffles me though: Toyota were not very interested in getting the Taxi image, or that is what I heard/read when the popular Qualis was stopped and Innova introduced. Why have they introduced the base version now, which obviously targets the taxi segment. Will it not lead to dilution of the brand valule?
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

Toyota seems to have built the Etios to a cut price.

The interiors are utterly uninspiring for a sedan.
The seats look el-nano. DOesnt matter if they feel great.
The engine does not even have a cover on it for aesthetic neatness.
Toyota interiors are the least inspiring of all Jap cars. Pretty functional though.
I think Toyota design school takes inspiration only from functionality and not from aesthetics.

If I would buy, it would only be for 2 reasons.
1. Quality & reliability of a Toyota.
2. Low maintenance cost of ownership.

Do I sound like a taxi driver?
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:28   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not understand the whole debate about headrests. I personally have never felt the need to adjust the headrests on any of our cars. Neither have I come across anyone else who has done that. Its more to do with your seating posture.

I totally agree with vid6639 here that headrests are supposed to be a safety measure. So if they stay on the whole time, it works for me.

Hey guys I was just wondering, what was the logic behind the centre console? Does it cost less to put the console in the centre rather then in the traditional position ie in front of the driver? I really hate the look of those centrally placed consoles. Maybe because we have been so used to the other setup.

They should have given an option for the seat fabric I feel. Majority of us do not like that red that they have put in there.

Last edited by drmohitg : 2nd December 2010 at 09:31.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:34   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I do not understand the whole debate about headrests. I personally have never felt the need to adjust the headrests on any of our cars. Neither have I come across anyone else who has done that. Its more to do with your seating posture.

I totally agree with vid6639 here that headrests are supposed to be a safety measure. So if they stay on the whole time, it works for me.
The point is not about whether adjustable headrests are there to provide the flexibility to be removed - That is pure stupidity.

It's not fair to judge the entire world by your own personal experience.
I have adjusted headrests and seen other people doing that as well.

Anyway, let's move on! There are other aspects of the car to be discussed.

I am curious to know whether the foll features are present -
Usb port? If yes, which variants?
Rear cabin lights?
Handrest?
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:36   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

What about the rear head restraints? Are they adjustable? If not, what about the whiplash injury to the rear seat passengers? From the pictures, it does not seem to be high enough for 6 footers as mentioned. And also note that a five seater car does not come with a centre head restraint at the rear, unlike the Logan.

IIRC, the i10 sure has integrated head restraints at front, but adjustable ones at the rear.

For me, if there is a cost cutting measure, the company does not have to justify it using lame logic. The same goes with the centre mounted cluster. If this is done to minimize the distraction while reading the dials, why don't they provide it in the Altis, Camry, Fortuner or even the Prado/LC? For me, the Etios clearly looks built to a price and I'm not complaining. But justifying cost cutting measures with logic which cannot be digested is something else.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:36   #40
BANNED

With the kerb weight in mind, I highly doubt the crash worthiness of this car. Ok it may have ABS and Airbags as an option but what about the passive safety?
It weights less than an i10 and almost the same as the new WagonR which aren't known for the their build quality either.
I also don't buy the argument that Toyota would have done something special to keep the weight down or used exotic materials. I also don't understand how just a ribbed roof and single wiper would impact the weight considerably. I have my doubts and they won't be clear until I sit in the car myself, feel it and drive.

Last edited by akhilesh : 2nd December 2010 at 09:38.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:38   #41
BHPian

That was a good first cut info Jaggu. Nice job done.
Now waiting for GTO's review.

Jaggu, there is no mention of DIS anywhere. Is it missing or not available in any of the trim levels?
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

The i10 also has non adjustable headrest's. So it being a way to cut costs is not completely true.
People, do not compare this to the corolla. This car is built at a price and is being sold so at that price.
We must commend Toyota for what they have done. They have delivered a true VFM product.
People complain that there is no engine cover , single wiper etc.
The question now is Do you really need an engine cover or are you upset about a single wiper?
If it does the job then im happy with the product.

Last edited by vinaydas : 2nd December 2010 at 09:46.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:47   #43
Team-BHP Support

Drove a Yaris, with the same dash - but it was digital so one could figure speed at glance.

Etios reminds me of the OHC + Logan concept combined - small light, cheap to manufacture

It will sell and have appeal to the majority and those willing to pay a little more for less hassle compared to an Indigo
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:49   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Toyota seems to have built the Etios to a cut price.

The interiors are utterly uninspiring for a sedan.
The seats look el-nano. DOesnt matter if they feel great.
The engine does not even have a cover on it for aesthetic neatness.
Toyota interiors are the least inspiring of all Jap cars. Pretty functional though.
I think Toyota design school takes inspiration only from functionality and not from aesthetics.

If I would buy, it would only be for 2 reasons.
1. Quality & reliability of a Toyota.
2. Low maintenance cost of ownership.

Do I sound like a taxi driver?
Yes you do.! A great car to rent out but not to own. Companies like Toyota are still underestimating the Indian consumer who is moving up the value chain consistently. Companies like Toyota should reciprocate by launching world cars in India rather than these type of built to price sheet metal boxes. Just a look at the centre console and dashborad is enough for me to reject this car from my list. The integrated headrests both at back and front is atrocious to say the least.Toyota's effort to fool customers with a puny 1.4 engine in a 14 lacs car has already shown the place it deserved. I am perplexed what is the 'Q class' they are talking about?

Last edited by poloman : 2nd December 2010 at 09:53.
Old 2nd December 2010, 09:49   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
With the kerb weight in mind, I highly doubt the crash worthiness of this car. Ok it may have ABS and Airbags as an option but what about the passive safety?
It weights less than an i10 and almost the same as the new WagonR which aren't known for the their build quality either.
I also don't buy the argument that Toyota would have done something special to keep the weight down or used exotic materials. I also don't understand how just a ribbed roof and single wiper would impact the weight considerably. I have my doubts and they won't be clear until I sit in the car myself, feel it and drive.
yea am curious about this too. I feel the following might have helped.

1)The sheet metal used all around might be similar to the maruti cars.
The ribs on top would be required only if the sheet metal is thin and that was a clever way to help it make it more strong.
2) The seat thickness and the integrated headrest might have helped.
3)The reduction in no of parts required.
4) The wheel wells as per the pics looked a bit bare to me. They might have saved on additional damping /cladding.
5) The engine bay looks a bit cluttered and you can see all parts naked and screaming shamelessly
6) They might have done some smart design and engineering on the chasis front I feel.

OT: The steering wheel( top variants only) looks quite solid and of high quality though!!

Last edited by muni : 2nd December 2010 at 09:51.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks