Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:52   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Ooh this is interesting.

This sedan at this price point makes excellent sense for non-enthusiasts. Toyota reliability and the safety package laden pack priced under 6 lacs is a great deal in my opinion. The turning radius would make it a decent city drive. If the ride is soft and plush at city speeds, even if it is a boat on the highway, this will sell big numbers.

Its a personal opinion, but this looks way better than the Dzire.

Good work Toyota!
I too think it looks better than the ugly DZire but the interiors are bad.
When you talk about recommending the G variant at 6 Lakhs ex-showroom with Abs+Airbags, have you noticed that the G variant does not even have a tachometer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
Its still not an apples to apples comparison. Atleast I can give the benefit of doubt to these cars for being heavier.
Don't know about manza.
But Swift Dzire is based on Swift which has 4 star NCAP rating.
Tha ANHC shares the platform with jazz which has 5 star rating

Though price is good, the features are a big let down as it is not even able to match the features of comparable cars which was launched quite a few years back.
Old 2nd December 2010, 14:57   #77
BHPian

Guess they've taken cost cutting a bit too far from an ownership-liking perspective. Even with the odd shape, the Dzire feels far far more 'richer'.

To think of a Toyota sedan without power steering (base model), in this age, is nothing short of appaling.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:00   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Guess they've taken cost cutting a bit too far from an ownership-liking perspective. Even with the odd shape, the Dzire feels far far more 'richer'.

To think of a Toyota sedan without power steering (base model), in this age, is nothing short of appaling.
Initially the innova base model came without the powersteering. Its definitely not a new thing on a Toyota Vehicle.

Like I mentioned before this might soon be included than later in the base model. If this base model does decently, then I would not be surprised to see the LIVA hatch to come without the powersteering in the base model.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:09   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
But Swift Dzire is based on Swift which has 4 star NCAP rating.
Tha ANHC shares the platform with jazz which has 5 star rating
Jazz (2009) scored 5 stars in Euro NCAP where as ANHC scored 4 stars in ANCAP. So I don't think its correct to assume that if hatch gets 5 stars , sedan based on the same will also get 5 stars!!

Note: Cars normally get better scores in ANCAP compared to Euro NCAP.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:09   #80
Senior - BHPian

Finally Japanese Engineering shows their Made for India car.

Excellent report Jaggu.

Any news on AT transmission ?

The 1.5 Liter engine delivering 90bhp isnt that great, however 170 mm Ground Clearance is best.

Also, is it DVD Video ? The indash system shows like DVD Audio. But do we get DVD Audio ? Not sure about it.

Rest of the specs look good, I would buy and change the seats. The gear knob looks much like Altis (rounded one). Any picture of lighting on the dash in darkness (like how it will look in night from inside the car?)

Very good pricing by Toyota on the car.

Seems HT has test driven the car (driven at 120kmph) - http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-F...e1-633235.aspx

Last edited by tanwaramit : 2nd December 2010 at 15:15.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:13   #81
Senior - BHPian

4000 engineers worked over 4 years to make this ugly piece?

Jokes apart it looks much better than Dezire.

+ves
brand, reliability
boot size
Love that steering wheel

-ves
Those ugly red seats/door pads in top variant
single wiper - did you benchmark Nano?
Dashboard - ugliest
meters - just for the name sake, they dont want you to read/know the real figures
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:16   #82
BHPian

Excellent review.
I don't like the dashboard as others said. The top end doesn't even have power mirrors. One good thing I noticed is it has passenger airbags, which many cars don't have. There are lots of things missing in the base model. I guess the base model would be good for first timers for the car, but any second owners would expect atleast power steering and windows.
I am more curious to see a hatch spec.

Here you go for the specs.
Toyota - Etios Specification
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:23   #83
BHPian

Why do I feel that this is just a revamped VIOS available in south east asia... The Vios is an extremely popular model in and around korea, philippines and vietnam. And it has also gone through a couple of iterations in the trim levels. So the 4000 engineers and 4 years dont seem to make sense... unless they are replacing the Vios in these countries with the Etios as its roughly the same price as a Vios so i dont think it will be sold side by side...but it still is a total game changer... Toyota entering the lowest price points is a chill on the spine for the competition.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:26   #84
BHPian

[quote=adimicra;2160669]I too think it looks better than the ugly DZire but the interiors are bad.
When you talk about recommending the G variant at 6 Lakhs ex-showroom with Abs+Airbags, have you noticed that the G variant does not even have a tachometer?

Well he has mentioned that that it can be recommended on the safety point of view wrt to the Safety package being offered at the price point. Dont know how a tachometer would add to the safety.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:27   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too think it looks better than the ugly DZire but the interiors are bad.
And which non-enthusiast cares about a tachometer? Absence of a tachometer wouldn't be a deal breaker for an enthusiast either.

We are just nitpicking because this isn't what we wanted! But this is very much what an average Indian commuter desires.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:38   #86
Senior - BHPian

Does this really feel plush?? I mean this in anyway won't give me a premium sedan feel no matter what the variant. It unfortunately "looks" like so in the pictures. Maybe its not so in flesh.

We are now being spoilt for choice with some really good looking and worthy cars. With loans available to most buyers in this category, if Etios were to be the only car in its segement available, i personally would take on a larger EMI and upscale.

Wonder if toyota got it wrong this time. This though is sure to be a big hit with the
taxi market.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:46   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanScorpio View Post

Well he has mentioned that that it can be recommended on the safety point of view wrt to the Safety package being offered at the price point. Dont know how a tachometer would add to the safety.
First of all, there is no subtlety in your sarcasm.
Well, if that is the case, we do not need Power windows,PS or AC for safety.
Come on, when a person is spending more than 6 lakhs on a car, they expect certain equipment levels and creature comforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
And which non-enthusiast cares about a tachometer? Absence of a tachometer wouldn't be a deal breaker for an enthusiast either.

We are just nitpicking because this isn't what we wanted! But this is very much what an average Indian commuter desires.
I guess you are underestimating the average Indian commuter - remember this will cost 6-7.5 lakhs OTR where buyers give importance to quality,equipments and creature comfort. Time will tell who is correct but I won't recommend this car.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:47   #88
BHPian

This is a brand new engine if media reports are to be believed. So you cannot expect an AT in the near future if you look at the associated testing required.

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Any news on AT transmission ?
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:53   #89
BHPian

i don't understand why everone is calling this a VFM sedan?

Hyundai Accent Executive @ 4.99L gives you all the features that the top variant of Etios provides except ABS/ airbags.
And in terms of interior looks and matierials used it's miles ahead of this Toyota. Plus Hyundai's reliability and *** is the 2nd best in India.
Old 2nd December 2010, 15:57   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First of all, there is no subtlety in your sarcasm.
Well, if that is the case, we do not need Power windows,PS or AC for safety.
Come on, when a person is spending more than 6 lakhs on a car, they expect certain equipment levels and creature comforts.

I guess you are underestimating the average Indian commuter - remember this will cost 6-7.5 lakhs OTR where buyers give importance to quality,equipments and creature comfort. Time will tell who is correct but I won't recommend this car.
Again- the tachometer is not a creature comfort. I agree with you assessment, but I do strongly believe that the absence of a tachometer is not a deal breaker.

Toyota exudes quality more than any manufacturer in India. They have excellent service backup and reliability.

Cheers

Last edited by EssYouWe : 2nd December 2010 at 15:58.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks