Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:15   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
One good thing about the Etios that I would appreciate!!!

For sure this cost cutting would have been achived only be reusing the old body presses and old platform.

But Toyota has managed to camouflage the car in such an extent that no one, not even auto experts are able to find which earlier model platform is being reused..
The dash, especially the central console placement is similar to toyota echo / yaris. The fit / finish also conveys the same, and so does the size of the car.
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:28   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
The dash, especially the central console placement is similar to toyota echo / yaris. The fit / finish also conveys the same, and so does the size of the car.
You are right, even I get reminded of some other models when I see the Etios, but I have never seen it as a comment anywhere till now. Thats indeed a great effort to make sure at the outset it doesnt reflect or remind anyone of the current models of Etios.
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:30   #123
BANNED

Team-BHP.com | Toyota Etios - Walkaround

Here is the Toyota Etios - Walkaround for you.
Old 3rd December 2010, 10:44   #124

I think Toyota went overboard with this conservative design. They might have done their market research 3-4 years back and based on that they have come out with this boring VFM car. I am not sure whether this research is still relevant in the current market scenario where you have decent alternatives. It might lose its sheen very quickly. They should have done something like what they did with Fortuner.

However, I must admit that they have packaged the car decently and due to their excellent reputation, good initial sales are guaranteed. If some quality issues crop-up during the first batch due to evident cost cutting, it might impact their main USP….reliability. I think general public may not expect and accept problems in Toyota cars.

The success story of i20 gives me an impression that Indians don’t mind paying more for cars as long as they get value for their money. I think Dzire sales won’t be hit by this but manza might have to take the jolt. Nissan sunny definitely looks better than this but I am not fan of those interiors. Let’s wait and see what ford does with new fiesta and Hyundai with its new Verna.
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:44   #125
BHPian

Finally, an affordable, practical, reliable sedan for me. Looks be damned. If we have grown to accept the first santro, dzire, then etios should not be a problem at all.
I watched with dismay, honda city prices climbing from their initial model, now crossing 10lakhs. Add to it, the crippling road tax in Karnataka.
Six months back when I was in the market with 7 lakhs for a car, I found DZire to be a pigeonhole, some of the hatchbacks had more space. Manza was well after all a Tata,(Yes, I am a snob)not sure about the reliability. The Etios would have made perfect sense for me(family of five,able to purchase only one car) with it space, boot, practicality and of course Toyota reliability. I think it is excellent value and once again, looks be damned.
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:14   #126
Senior - BHPian

Lot of people mentioning that Etios will rip off Dzire & Manza. I dont agree to that at all right now. Dzire & Manza are proven cars & they have support of Maruti & Tata. Toyota is sill not so popular with middle class people.

One biggest point is 75 % sale for Dzire & Manza came from diesel engine. Etios is not having that. So Etios cant beat the economy that is offered by the Fiat Multijet engine in both the cars. Also one more point is Etios may get popular with Taxi people. That will take away many family people who are buying Dzire & Manza.

Lets see how Etios does in market.
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:28   #127
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Thanks for pointing this point out invidious. Echo is a lesser know product of Toyota in this part of the world.
In 2005-6 while working in Oman, I had been given a run down Echo.

The Etios is surely a development from the same mould.

The USP's of the ECHO that would hold true for the Etios were:

1. Unearthly reliability. I really hoped the car would break down so that I get a newer car. But she kept going on even after 400k on the odo. And Service was dirt cheap.
2. Superb fuel efficiency. It had a 1.3 motor then. Dont be surprised if it beats even the hatchbacks hands down.
3.Quite nippy to drive in urban speeds. Light Car and a motor that is very happy at the red line. Rubbery gear shift was a sore though!
4. Suprisingly spacious for its small dimensions. Good Boot space also.

Demerits:
1. Looked horrible. Back then we used to call it too Korean. Please keep in mind that back then, the Koreans used to make real ugly cars.
2. 3 Digit Speeds were real scary. The car was highly susceptible to cross-wind. But the car was capable of doing 190kmph on the speedo. I was stupid enough to try.
3. It was the cabbies favorite. And mine was white too.

Just few pics of the ECHO. You will know where the Etios got the looks from.
Attachment 462382

Attachment 462383

Attachment 462384
Good catch,Ethios seems to be from ECHO only for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedMae View Post
The four variants of Etios are – J,G,V,VX.

Etios J price is Rs. 4,96,000
Etios G price is Rs. 5,46,000
Etios V price is Rs. 6,41,100
Etios VX price is Rs. 6,86,000

Arvind K
Indica V2 1.4 Petrol (Dec 2004 - present), 37k kms
Are these Ex showroom chennai? Whats price in chennai onroad ,does anyone have it?
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:45   #128
Senior - BHPian

I will still stick to the etios VS dzire war. Manza sales have tanked recently and the tata has to prove its long term reliability, which is not exactly the case.
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:07   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemantwaghe View Post
One of my Auto Enthu friend ( Ex owner of Qualis) said "ARE THEY GOING TO GIVE TEST DRIVE POST JAN 1 ,2011?" What is first lot is overbooked?
=========
What do you think???
Exactly the reason that there is lot going in favor of this car. I know of 2 people who have already made up their mind and paid even without seeing it in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
When I looked this in the Toyota web page it looked better. But here, when I look at it in these pictures it looks very much low market. Is it a Toyota? I doubt it.
Hope its not my photography But hey exterior fit and finish is top notch. Interiors apart from the quality of some plastics, the way its put together is really good is what i feel. Is it really a deal braker?! Not really!

Its quirky in someplace but we tend to accept that as Indian buyers as it grows on you. If its comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Finally, an affordable, practical, reliable sedan for me. Looks be damned. If we have grown to accept the first santro, dzire, then etios should not be a problem at all.
Yes this is what Toyota is aiming at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Lot of people mentioning that Etios will rip off Dzire & Manza. I dont agree to that at all right now. Dzire & Manza are proven cars & they have support of Maruti & Tata. Toyota is sill not so popular with middle class people.
===================
Lets see how Etios does in market.
I meant the petrol versions of these cars since Etios Diesel is not even announced/any info available. Reason why middle class does not take to Toyota was its pricing, and Etios on the other hand is made for the middle class family. So lots can change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
I will still stick to the etios VS dzire war. Manza sales have tanked recently and the tata has to prove its long term reliability, which is not exactly the case.
Tata's biggest problem is RELIABILITY or rather consistent quality

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd December 2010 at 13:09.
Old 3rd December 2010, 13:36   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Why would it be? The cheapest Toyota (until) this day was above 10L. At the same price Toyota is too big a brand/image to take on for Maruti and Tata. Middle class would be too happy to get into Toyota bandwagon.

Etios comfortably beats Dzire in Space, brand, engine (1.3L vs 1.5L), FE and image. The diesel Dzires will survive, at least until Toyota gets the D4D engine to Etios.
Old 3rd December 2010, 14:12   #131
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Toyota's Etios - either in Sedan form OR Hatchback form is definitely going to succeed in India. There is no doubt about it given the Indian family's thought process about FE, Reliability and overall reasonable comfort.

The Toyota badge being made accessible and affordable in this way, will only serve to unlock huge latent potential from our Middle classes. Those who would have considered either a Dzire, Vento, Manza or City now have a Toyota to add to their list of choices. This is superb from the point of view of consumer choice.

Toyota which has always been perceived here as a rich man's car/ luxury car, is now suddenly well within many more people's reach!

They have built the aspiration levels for their brand very well right from the days of the Qualis, then the Corolla, the Innova, to an extent the Camry and now the Fortuner.
Now when they make their brand more accessible to regular joe consumers with their Etios, since it already has everything going for it to succeed, I wouldnt be surprised at all, if they have a "stock out" situation on hand and a sudden waiting list of 3-4 months for both the sedan and the hatch!

I mean just look at the value - if one can get a first class Toyota Badged Hatchback at about 5-6 odd lacs then why would one even bother to consider an Indica or Vista or Swift or something of that kind? I dont think Toyota will be foolhardy enough to risk tarnishing their excellent image in India, by compromising their quality-overall.
Old 3rd December 2010, 14:53   #132
BHPian

All these information and Etios launch shows that Toyota is very serious about Indian market now.

Which are the cars manufactured in Toyota’s Bangalore Plant? Is it only Etios? Will this benefit the Bangaloreans in terms of cost?
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:35   #133
BHPian

When I spoke to Toyota Dealer in Delhi, he mentioned that the booking are already started but the delivery would start only in the first week of May 2011. This is contradict to what is mentioned by Jaggu that delivery would start from Jan 2011. Can someone confirm this please as I plan to buy a car within next two months
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:42   #134
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, I think the placement of the speed dials may actually be better as you dont completely look down into the steering wheel, away form the road. The problem for me is that it will be visible to all the occupants of the car, and if you know Indian families we have too many back seat drivers in any case!
As for the design (or lack of it!), the exterior look is bland but not ugly. I cannot seem to get over the interiors. At first sight, the problem areas in my opinion are:
- placement of AC vents
- placement of speedometer etc
- lack of adjustable headrests
I am sure there will be more than a few other things that would crop up in test drives. It is not a car which I would pre book.
Lastly, I think it is high time that the average Indian car buyer or reviewer starts reviewing cars for what they are. It is one thing to have expectations from a launch based on the manufacturer's previosu track record. It is a completely different thing to start saying that Product A will be great because it is from Manufacturer X. After all parts for one car may be sourced or fitted differently and the design does differ a lot..
Old 3rd December 2010, 15:46   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Etios comfortably beats Dzire in Space, brand, engine (1.3L vs 1.5L), FE and image. The diesel Dzires will survive, at least until Toyota gets the D4D engine to Etios.
I really doubt if Etios will beat Dzire on FE front. All Marutis are know for fuel efficient. I personally driving Petrol Dzire for last 16 months now. It gives me 12-13 in city & 18-20 on the highways with AC. I doubt if Etios can match that with 1.5 L engine. Also Maruti beats Toyota in terms of easily available service & economical spares.

Lets wait for market to react. Already people have accepted Manza & Dzire over many other cars due to there +ves.

Last edited by aniketi : 3rd December 2010 at 15:47.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks