Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2010, 16:07   #136
BHPian

Toyota are about 5 years late in bringing this car to India. This car if launched during the 2004-5 season would have created and broke its own sales records.

I am not sure that that will be the case now.
Old 3rd December 2010, 16:16   #137
BHPian

Was running through the specs and was a little surprised to see the width of Etios at 1695mm bcoz my i20 is 1710mm, so obviously the i20 is wider than Etios. Coming to actual width inside, even after giving some design advantage to Etios for better space management, is it true that width at best would just match that of a hatch like i20??
Old 3rd December 2010, 16:56   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmshaw View Post
Was running through the specs and was a little surprised to see the width of Etios at 1695mm bcoz my i20 is 1710mm, so obviously the i20 is wider than Etios. Coming to actual width inside, even after giving some design advantage to Etios for better space management, is it true that width at best would just match that of a hatch like i20??
This isn't exactly a problem of Etios but an exception of i20. This is b'coz i20 is wider than the ANHC, Fiesta and Verna too - all of which are in the Etios width range.
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:15   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Toyota badge being made accessible and affordable in this way, will only serve to unlock huge latent potential from our Middle classes. Those who would have considered either a Dzire, Vento, Manza or City now have a Toyota to add to their list of choices. This is superb from the point of view of consumer choice.
Good point Shankar. I, however, and certainly not sure about Vento or City Would any persona looking at say Vento look at Etios as an option. I don't think so. I think that both VW and Honda either match or beat Toyota on brand equity!

I agree with Sid and will say that it can take away customers from Dzire/Logan/Manza type cars, which really are cars made with the sole intention of giving a sedan at the cheapest possible price.
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:15   #140
BHPian

As per my view this car of Toyota will be a success one. But Toyota should not stop introducing other car due to the sell of this car. People having dream of buying a T brand can now buy this car.
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:30   #141
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

I think that you will be surprised once the Etios car goes on sale.

Indian consumer will certainly keep the comparo chart handy - and we will see by and by that the comparo will happen with Vento and Honda as well because at least here in India, Toyota does enjoy that kind of aspiration value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Good point Shankar. I, however, and certainly not sure about Vento or City Would any persona looking at say Vento look at Etios as an option. I don't think so. I think that both VW and Honda either match or beat Toyota on brand equity!

I agree with Sid and will say that it can take away customers from Dzire/Logan/Manza type cars, which really are cars made with the sole intention of giving a sedan at the cheapest possible price.
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:42   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
I really doubt if Etios will beat Dzire on FE front. All Marutis are know for fuel efficient. I personally driving Petrol Dzire for last 16 months now. It gives me 12-13 in city & 18-20 on the highways with AC.
cant comment your personal FE - but ARAI mileage for Etios is better than Dzire. Its a much lighter car - 80 kgs lighter than Dezire, and has a better torque at lower rpm, so expect the city mileage to be much better than Dzire.

And for a fact i have got better city mileage with NHC than Dzire P.
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:44   #143
Senior - BHPian

I dont see much success & volumes for Etios without Diesel option. All cars in these segment are selling in good numbers with there diesel option, mainly Manza & Dzire. Fiesta diesel was doing well till sometime back. Others like Verna (though they have a diesel option) & SX4 are doing only decent numbers. With only petrol, i guess Etios can manage average of 2500 cars per month.

Lets see how it goes. I am also eagerly waiting for the test drive of Etios whenever its available.
Old 3rd December 2010, 18:06   #144
BHPian

3077 cars booked already

As per Business Standard Motoring's tweet, 3077 cars have been booked in the last two days!

Looks like Indians are voting with their wallet and looks be damned!
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:44   #145
BHPian

Hmm... you are right actually. Just makes me feel good though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
This isn't exactly a problem of Etios but an exception of i20. This is b'coz i20 is wider than the ANHC, Fiesta and Verna too - all of which are in the Etios width range.
Old 3rd December 2010, 19:55   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Are these Ex showroom chennai? Whats price in chennai onroad ,does anyone have it?
The ETIOS chennai prices:

Model - Ex Showroom - On Road Price

J - 4,83,868 - 5,59,973

G - 5,33,294 - 6,16,041

G (Sp OPT) - 5,83,794 - 6,73,328

V - 6,28,872 - 7,24,465

VX - 6,74,372 - 7,76,080

In Chennai the dealers say the cars will roll out from the factory only after Jan 15th and the probable delivery dates for bookings made now is only by March 2011.
Old 3rd December 2010, 20:12   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai3033 View Post
The ETIOS chennai prices:

Model - Ex Showroom - On Road Price

VX - 6,74,372 - 7,76,080
So if the Etios diesel is launched with a premium of 75k- 1 lac over petrol that means top end VX diesel would be touching 9 lacs!!
Old 3rd December 2010, 20:19   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.mathew View Post
As per Business Standard Motoring's tweet, 3077 cars have been booked in the last two days!

Looks like Indians are voting with their wallet and looks be damned!

Absolutely!
These prices are complete Value for Money for a car with Toyota Badge and Reliability ad a 1.5 litre engine.

One thing Toyota excels at is giving the mass market what it want at an affordable price.
Sadly enthusiasts like us are definitely not their target customers.
Old 3rd December 2010, 21:28   #149
BHPian

Frankly speaking, I like the car. I already have Altis. I have seen quality of Toyota in India.
The quality of 3S, sales, service, spares is the best. I am happy to see that people who want to buy some good product around 5-6 Lac price range, will have access to world class service. Maruti, Hyundai, TATA, FIAT, HONDA, FORD & their dealers please improve...
BTW I also owned Maruti & Hyundai for 10 yrs...
Old 3rd December 2010, 21:32   #150
Senior - BHPian

Its so bad that the Toyota hardly wants to learn any lesson. They are so bad with thier staunch attitude. I guess, Toyota people are themselves not satisfied with thier product.

Consider this, do not understand how can they just plan 77000 p.a. (both sedan and hatch included). This shows that they would want to have an upper hand with supply being lot lesser than demand, so that people crave for thier cars.

Just like how they play this kind of game with the Fortuner (read opening the booking and closing with a fortnight).

I mean even the humble Figo + Fiesta duo sells around 8k a month. Which translates to 96k for a year. Come on, even Ford plans better than Toyota and does want to satisfy customers. Let alone people like Maruti and Tatas.

I am really sorry for being too blunt, but everytime I read the news on bookings of Fortuner my blood boils.

But what I appreciate though is the fact that they announced the price during the start of booking.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed