Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2010, 21:44   #151
BHPian

I guess they don't expect much volumes with the petrol versions.
They'll probably ramp up production when the diesels launch.
Old 3rd December 2010, 22:11   #152
BHPian

What a let down :(

Look at those seats - I am scandalized!

Also the silver colours interiors - red in parts - pretty wierd..

This looks like another Logan (disaster) in the making ( Logans recovery not withstanding).

I like the the Indigo more for sure - Manza is streets ahead!!
Old 3rd December 2010, 23:00   #153
BHPian

Toyota is already loaded with orders of Fortuner, Innova & Altis! Toyota delivery delays on Corolla altis, Innova and Fortuner | Vicky.in | Indian Automobile Blog | Car Reviews | Bike Reviews | Test Drive Reports | Pictures | Videos

How will the service centres handle the rush, say 1 year down the line?
Old 3rd December 2010, 23:08   #154
Senior - BHPian

I would say the prices are a bit high even for a Toyota. But it will sell because its a Toyota. I am looking forward to the hatch version. Hoping to see Power steering in the base model of the hatch atleast.
Old 3rd December 2010, 23:16   #155
BHPian

There is a test drive video of Etios from Overdrive: Videos: Toyota Etios on OVERDRIVE
Old 3rd December 2010, 23:52   #156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.mathew View Post
As per Business Standard Motoring's tweet, 3077 cars have been booked in the last two days!

Looks like Indians are voting with their wallet and looks be damned!
Wow! This is what i said, it doesn't matter what we talk in here, at the end of the day Toyota has great brand recall, all they needed was competitive pricing. And for Indian customer VFM package + Toyota assurance = bliss!
Old 3rd December 2010, 23:55   #157
Senior - BHPian

I can think of this car nothing but as a success.Can anyone name one thing that can be seen as a deal breaker?

The only thing there might be a grouse against is a bit strange interiors,however here the important point is ergonomics ,functionality and quality of materials which according to the price offered is acceptable.

Other than that it has a good engine,interior space,boot space,top end model quite well loaded.
Looks might be bland but they are not ugly its just funtional and IMO looks better than the Dzire and the Manza.

FE and reliability but would up there with the best and toyota has never let down on customer service and after sales.

Also the price is very competitive and without the "Japanese badge premium"

Negatives:
No ACC and seat adjust.
Thin seat and integrated headsets(which can be dispelled in a test drive)
Production backlogs,expect long waiting periods.
Looks too reminiscent of the Logan,could lead customers to give it a downmarket image.
Old 4th December 2010, 00:47   #158
Senior - BHPian

The car will be a success in the near future but interesting to see what happens in the long run. The demands of the Indian customer is increasing day-by-day and there is a good chance of the Etios getting outdated sooner than later.

I was watching the Autocar comparo between Etios and Dzire. Some shocking comments -
  • The Dzire has better interior quality than the Etios and feels more premium
  • The DZire has more supportive seats with better bolstering
  • Even though the DZire has a much smaller engine, it is a better performer on the highway and the DZire K Series motor is more refined

Guess I and may be many others are underestimating the DZire. I think it might even have better features than the Etios like ACC, rear handrest, adjustable headrests and dual wipers (never thought I will be mentioning this as a feature differentiator )
Another thing - I saw the single wiper in the Etios in action for the first time and sorry to say, it is nowhere as effective as the dual ones - pretty pathetic cost cutting by Toyota!

Last edited by adimicra : 4th December 2010 at 00:58.
Old 4th December 2010, 01:50   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I was watching the Autocar comparo between Etios and Dzire. Some shocking comments -
  • The Dzire has better interior quality than the Etios and feels more premium
  • The DZire has more supportive seats with better bolstering
  • Even though the DZire has a much smaller engine, it is a better performer on the highway and the DZire K Series motor is more refined
Well, this is what those fellas at AutoCar had to say in their website during the test drive of Etios:

"If the exterior doesn’t bowl you over, the Etios’ interior certainly will. There is not a shadow of a doubt that the Etios is the most comfortable car in its class. The rear seats with their large squabs, perfect backrest angle and the right amount of cushioning are supremely comfortable. If there is one criticism, it’s the flat design of the back seat which doesn’t have deep contours to hold you snugly. But there’s a reason for that. The Etios is a genuine five-seater. The rear seat is remarkably wide to easily accommodate three people but what makes it even better for the middle passenger is a near-flat floor tunnel which intrudes by only two inches into the cabin.
The front seats with just the perfect amount of padding are again the most comfortable we have sat in. They are perfectly contoured to give the right amount of support to your lower back."

And the Swift doesn't exactly have a sofa for its rear seat.

Source: Toyota Etios test drive, review | Autocar India

I would wait for GTO's review before making any statements regarding the car's performance since the Auto Magazine can't seem to be consistent in their reviews
Old 4th December 2010, 08:04   #160
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Two contradicting reports from the same source in two different forms of communication. Should we call this the "Etios Effect"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
I would wait for GTO's review before making any statements regarding the car's performance since the Auto Magazine can't seem to be consistent in their reviews
+1 to this. I have a feeling that GTO is in the process of compiling his report for the benefit of the whole community. Have been visiting the "Official New Car Reviews" every two hours now.
Old 4th December 2010, 11:17   #161

Well i know the reviews have been mixed on this forum.
But i have booked one but not sure about the variant (G opt, v, vx) as the dealer was not able to clear my doubts does anybody have ans to these :
1. Pictures of the two different steering wheel one in G, V and one in VX only Vx steering is seen everywhere
2. USB and Aux connectivity available or not in V(mp3 player) or Vx(DVD player) variant and its usb aux ready any extra charges for getting the functionality.
3. Interior pics of three different variants g(black interiors) V(black and grey interiors) and Vx(black and red - which is only available everywhere)
4. G variant doesnt have tachometer and music system so how does it look with all this missing??
5. Keyless entry buttons is on the key like high end or separate like autocop systems.
6. is all three seat cover combination *black *black and grey all good quality fabric like top end.
7. In the G variant if i remove 14" wheels and put alloys should cost around 15k but if I put 15" alloys what would be the cost?

I need views
Does the car top end Vx seem like a Rs 8 lakh car on road

or does the car top end Vx with a toyota logo in the centre look like a Rs 8 lakh car
Old 4th December 2010, 12:22   #162
BHPian

Still waiting for GTO's review. I think it's about time.
Can somebody from the Moderator group, fill us in about when we can expect an Official review!!
Old 4th December 2010, 12:33   #163
Senior - BHPian

I'm not going to be buying the ETIOS, but what entertainment it has brought to the market.

Its undercut the DZIRE and MANZA on pricing and now it will be fun to watch who comes out on top

And the climax is going to be how TOYOTA manages the demand for the ETIOS, will it go the FORTUNER way where bookings open every 3 months and close in 3 hours.

I think on of the plus points for FORTUNER owners is that - people think that they have connections in the right places when they are driving around in the FORTUNER because the vehilce is so difficult to buy. Even if you have 20 lakhs in your back pocket, you cannot buy the FORTUNER
Old 4th December 2010, 13:29   #164
BHPian

Why aren't they displaying their baby at the showrooms even after the launch? No test drives too, till Jan 25th.
Isn't this what Tata to did with Nano.
Does that mean even Toyota themselves are not confident about the car?

IMO the car will sell in vast numbers intially due to Toyota badge and will go down drastically in numbers after 6 months.
Old 4th December 2010, 13:33   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Two contradicting reports from the same source in two different forms of communication. Should we call this the "Etios Effect".
I now firmly believe that all the Auto Magazines or Auto shows on TV are there to simply push their own agenda (or that of car manufacturer) down the throat of the vulnerable customer. Today I was watching Overdrive on CNBC-TV18. One viewer had put up a query that he wants to buy a diesel sedan, this is his first car, budget is 6-8 lacs, he wants decent mileage, low maintenance, good service etc. The expert on the show, Shirish Chandran's reply was go for the Dezire. It has all that the viewer was looking for. He then said you can also consider Etios. Its been recently launched & comes in that price bracket.

There was no mention of either the Manza or the Fiesta or any other car for that matter. The whole world knows that Etios has not being launched with a diesel motor yet, & the TV expert goes on to recommend an Etios for a person who is looking for a diesel sedan

That goes to show the authenticity of these TVs shows
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks