Team-BHP - Altis Diesel vs Micra Diesel ! Is Altis Diesel still underpowered ???
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Altis Diesel vs Micra Diesel ! Is Altis Diesel still underpowered ??? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/93101-altis-diesel-vs-micra-diesel-altis-diesel-still-underpowered.html)

Your comment on this

Altis Diesel = 1.4 L, 90 PS, 205 Nm @ 1800 rpm - 2800 rpm
Micra Diesel = 1.5L, 64 PS, 160 Nm @ 2000 rpm

Altis Diesel Weight = 1245 Kg
Micra Diesel Weight = 1070 Kg

Is Nissan Micra Diesel Underpowerd then ???

Difference = 175 Kg & 24 PS

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hero Puch (Post 2161846)
Your comment on this

Altis Diesel = 1.4 L, 90 PS, 205 Nm @ 1800 rpm - 2800 rpm
Micra Diesel = 1.5L, 64 PS, 160 Nm @ 2000 rpm

Altis Diesel Weight = 1245 Kg
Micra Diesel Weight = 1070 Kg

Is Nissan Micra Diesel Underpowerd then ???

Difference = 175 Kg & 24 PS

Let me rewrite that equation for you.

Lets consider if Altis was a Hatch:
For power : On avg the it would have been 64ps
For weight: if you remove the boot and make it a hatch : it would result in reduction of around 100kgs max only.

So Altis carries 75kgs extra if it were to be a hatch..
Just my opinion. :)

Altis costs twice as much. And if micra is underpowered, what about the fiesta and figo?

Stats don't mean anything . Under powered means what? Both can easily cruise upto 150 and maintain that speed as well.. And in addition give excellent mileage. Real world drivability matters.. These stats frankly don't mean anything at all in the real everyday world. To see what I mean, drive each of the cars, then you can make sense of which one is better.
To one obsessed with stats, well , you can't argue. In most cases, these are
all top-end power figures. If the car has a good powerband from 1000-4000 rpm (little less top rpm for diesels) then that's good. The Fiesta/Figo diesels
are excellent examples as is the Micra diesel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rpmx1000 (Post 2162036)
Stats don't mean anything . Under powered means what? Both can easily cruise upto 150 and maintain that speed as well.. And in addition give excellent mileage. Real world drivability matters.. These stats frankly don't mean anything at all in the real everyday world. To see what I mean, drive each of the cars, then you can make sense of which one is better.
all top-end power figures. If the car has a good powerband from 1000-4000 rpm (little less top rpm for diesels) then that's good. The Fiesta/Figo diesels

Exactly. Lot many factors decide how the car behaves on road. Power band, gear-ratio etc which are not covered by these specifications. And from what I have heard Altis-D has a very good gearing ratio to extract the maximum from the 1.4 motor.

Best way is to calculate power to weight ratio.

Altis has a P/W ratio of 72.2ps/ton
Micra has P/W ratio of 59.8ps/ton

So yeah the Micra is underpowered compared to the Altis but when you compare the Altis to it's competition, the Cruze and Laura it is severely underpowered.

VID rightly said

It's not fair to compare the Micra with the double priced Altis, however good be the gearing the Altis is severly underpowered compared to the Cruz and Laura. Infact the Laura also has DSG that is simply the best gearing (benfit - fastest gear changes - best effeciency for the engine size and power) one can have and is a added -ve for the Altis compared to the competition.

Micra on the other hand meets other expectations and feels roughly reasonably powered compared to other hatches except the 90 BHP Punto and I20.

Just for a comparo,

Ford Figo Diesel 1130kgs, 69PS - 61ps/ton
Maruti Swift VDi 1075kgs, 75PS - 69.76PS/ton

Indica turbo = 68 bhp, 1050kg = 66 ps/ton
Indica NA= 53.5 bhp, 1050kg = 52 ps/ton
Its not quite a slowcoach, but for a modern motor, its the worst in its class

Guys! I recently got the Petrol Altis after trying both the petrol and diesel versions. Trust me the Diesel Altis is pretty drivable. Does not feel underpowered in day to day driving. My only sore point was the sound and hence I went in for the Petrol version.

However I felt Altis deserves a slightly meatier D4-D engine looking at the costs. I expect this 1.4 engine to come in the Etios too in times to come.

Rgds,
druberoi

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 2162305)
VID rightly said

It's not fair to compare the Micra with the double priced Altis, however good be the gearing the Altis is severly underpowered compared to the Cruz and Laura. Infact the Laura also has DSG that is simply the best gearing (benfit - fastest gear changes - best effeciency for the engine size and power) one can have and is a added -ve for the Altis compared to the competition.

Micra on the other hand meets other expectations and feels roughly reasonably powered compared to other hatches except the 90 BHP Punto and I20.

Also now a days after the success of the Verna and Swift, everybody wants is a diesel rocket which is economical as well as a performer.
Like the Verna diesel is faster then petrol one etc.
Also Altis diesel has not made such an impact on the overall sales of the Corolla.

Comparing a 10L+ car with an entry level hatch. So if tomorrow, mercedes launches a E class with same power to weight ratio of swift etc., it would be okay... eh?

agree:
Quote:

Originally Posted by rpmx1000 (Post 2162036)

I completely agree. Lets not forget that the quoted figures are always for max power and torque. How often do we drive at the point in the engine power band where maximum grunt is developed? It's what the engine is with only 40 - 50% power and torque that is the true test. Real world driving of both cars suggests that the Micra diesel is more responsive than the Corolla IMHO

Having driven both the Altis Diesel and the Micra Diesel in both the city and on the highway, I feel that the Micra Diesl feels more like a petrol. Almost no turbo lag and you can drive it like a petrol almost right up to it's redline. Post 120 kph, the car slows down and takes some time to hit 150 kph.

The Altis Diesel on the other hand has a lot of turbo lag and it really needs to be kept on the boil to make any progress in the city. On the highway, if you shift at the right rpm, progress is pretty brisk and the car is faster than the Micra even after 120 kph, right up to 140 kph, after which it also slows down.

All said, the Micra never feels underpowered throughout while the Corolla feels so in the city due it's turbo lag. So, don't go by figures alone.

Cheers,

Jay