Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 12:00   #31
BHPian

Re: Mahindra to launch Korando and Rexton

the approach for M&M would be to place the mini xylo in 4-6 lac range and then the xylo in 6-8 range, scorpio in 8-11 and w201 (world SUV)in the 11 - 14 range the kornado in the 13-17 range and rextron in 17-20 range .

by doing so they have a SUV/UV that fits from 4 to 20 lakhs range
Old 8th February 2011, 14:23   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
the approach for M&M would be to place the mini xylo in 4-6 lac range and then the xylo in 6-8 range, scorpio in 8-11 and w201 (world SUV)in the 11 - 14 range the kornado in the 13-17 range and rextron in 17-20 range .

by doing so they have a SUV/UV that fits from 4 to 20 lakhs range
Are these speculations or do you have any insider data?

There are multiple opinions on the Korando positioning. It's clearly a small SUV. So, is it going to be placed above the huge(?) W201? If Scorpio is a reference, then W201 is not going to be lagging behind the others in gadget dept.

So what is that delta in Korando which commands the premium (except maybe better fit and finish)?

Also note that Korando will be CKD build and not a CBU.
Old 8th February 2011, 15:48   #33
BHPian

Got this info from a friend of mine and he had some connection in M&M sales.
Old 8th February 2011, 16:50   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
Are these speculations or do you have any insider data?

There are multiple opinions on the Korando positioning. It's clearly a small SUV. So, is it going to be placed above the huge(?) W201? If Scorpio is a reference, then W201 is not going to be lagging behind the others in gadget dept.

So what is that delta in Korando which commands the premium (except maybe better fit and finish)?

Also note that Korando will be CKD build and not a CBU.
According to your logic Fiat 500 should have been placed below the Punto but that ain't the case. Korando and Rexton in all likelihood will be released under the Ssangyong brand, so I don't see any reason for such issues to arise.
Old 9th February 2011, 13:21   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
According to your logic Fiat 500 should have been placed below the Punto but that ain't the case. Korando and Rexton in all likelihood will be released under the Ssangyong brand, so I don't see any reason for such issues to arise.
Well, that's a good point. But, we're not talking about overpriced 'lifestyle products' here.

And from what I read from various websites and auto magazines, they're going to be rebadged as Mahindras. But, we can't be sure about that.
Old 9th February 2011, 14:11   #36
BHPian

What the Indian roads really really need is a Gypsy upgrade with softer and comfy interior. Hopefully all the activity by Mahindra and others finally push the Gurgaon team to approve the upgrade.
Old 29th March 2011, 11:19   #37
BHPian

Last week as i was on my way home i spotted a Korando that was completely undisguised rushing towards Andheri, could not manage to click pics as the driver zipped away from the opposite side and i was driving.

This means that the launch may not be far away, and the Korando had some serious presence!
Old 29th March 2011, 14:08   #38
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

To attempt to add some more spice to the speculation the M&M strategy could be like this;

M&M Scorpio range - 9-13 lacs -mainstay bread and butter category.
Korando - 12-15 lacs - to offer an option and possibly take away market share from Safari, proposed Renault Duster and others (the downside is some amount of cannibalization of Scorpio)
W201 -15-18 lacs - to offer an option of an SUV to potential buyers of ARIA, Endy and possibly Yeti etc.
Rexton-20-22 lacs - to offer an option to Captiva, T Fort and Pajero buyers.

Having said all this their quality of fit, finish, execution, sales, service and after sales service has to be super tops, for consumers to continue to believe and go with their products. They also need to learn some amount of flexibility in their approach to consumer requirements. The importance of function over form, is something they will also do well to remember.
Old 29th March 2011, 16:18   #39
Senior - BHPian

^^Even I heard the similar thing about the pricing of W201 from Mahindra sales people that it would be priced around 16-18Lakhs. And there will be a Korean imported( I guess that would be Rexton or Korando) SUV which will be priced at 18-22Lakhs.
Old 31st March 2011, 11:03   #40
Senior - BHPian

Mr Anand Mahindra tweeted that they plan to bring Korando to India and posted a pic of next Korando !

Mahindra to launch Korando and Rexton-fxvxq.jpg

Though it has a normal number plate , the badging is taped !

Mahindra to launch Korando and Rexton-ssangyong_rexton_india.jpg

Pic source : The AutomotiveIndia through Indianautosblog.com
Old 31st March 2011, 11:28   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Mr Anand Mahindra tweeted that they plan to bring Korando to India and posted a pic of next Korando !

Though it has a normal number plate , the badging is taped !

Pic source : The AutomotiveIndia through Indianautosblog.com
I think the car with masked badges is the Ssangyong Rexton and not the Korando. Also, it looks as if the car is an old one and not a new car being tested. IMO, something is fishy in the picture.
Old 31st March 2011, 11:41   #42
BANNED

As mentioned by others earlier on this thread the Rexton is larger, of a higher level segment and more expensive than the Korando.

It is possible that M&M may launch the Rexton and W201 around the same time - thereby upping the game and trying to make a dent in the mid-premium SUV segment.

My guess is that they will bring in the Korando a little later because it is more likely that the Korando will fall into the segment below the W201 and above the Scorpio (possibly with some overlap with the top-end Scorpio versions).

But I wonder how they are going to handle the increased sales/ service load - they dont seem to be doing anything yet in terms of either upgrading or expanding their service networks and dealerships to be able to handle all this! Also - with their acquisition of Reva some amount of space in their dealerships has already been given over to the little Reva cars as well as their regular menu of Scorpios Boleros and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
^^Even I heard the similar thing about the pricing of W201 from Mahindra sales people that it would be priced around 16-18Lakhs. And there will be a Korean imported( I guess that would be Rexton or Korando) SUV which will be priced at 18-22Lakhs.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 31st March 2011 at 11:43.
Old 1st April 2011, 10:52   #43
BHPian

Yupp, the car being tested looks like the Rexton to me. And i think they will launch the newer version and the not the one seen being tested. Mahindra are looking good with their upcoming launches.

Cheers.
Old 1st April 2011, 11:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
I think the car with masked badges is the Ssangyong Rexton and not the Korando. Also, it looks as if the car is an old one and not a new car being tested. IMO, something is fishy in the picture.
Yes , it's the Rexton . My bad , I missed mentioning it !
Old 5th April 2011, 17:08   #45
BANNED

another 2 bits to add to the mashed potatoes on this thread!

The BS4 version of Scorpio VLX with Airbags, ABS and AT costs about 14.65 lacs on road Bangalore.

In case one is taking a loan to buy this vehicle - with say a 6 lac downpayment, this still means that the loan amount is about 8.65 lacs.

Emi of around 19K per month for 60 months means that one would pretty much have paid about 17.5 -18 lacs for this vehicle at the end of the tenure.

This is a really expensive price for a Scorpio wouldnt you say?

Suppose the Korando were to be launched at about 13-14 lacs range. By the time it gets on the road it will add up to about 15-16 lacs minimum. Suppose one were to buy it like the above illustration on loan taking about 9 lacs or so on loan for 5 years, the Korando will end up costing the owner about 19 lacs odd! Also a very high price indeed!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 5th April 2011 at 17:10.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks