Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2010, 13:06   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Now, Tata Nano with 4 year warranty as standard!

Tata sure is doing all it can to boost the Nano's sales. First, waiting periods eliminated with the Nano available off the shelf in multiple States (Link). Then, to tackle the fire incidents (Link), Tata offered additional protection to the exhaust & electricals (Link). Also, I predict that the diesel Nano is coming our way in 2011.

November saw a paltry 500 odd Nanos being despatched from the factory (Link). I've always stated that the standard warranty is indicative of the confidence its manufacturer has in the car. And I can tell you, it wouldn't have been an easy task to offer a 4 year standard warranty on the cheapest car in India (and one that runs on wafer-thin margins). Warranties are a cost center for the manufacturer, after all. Even the 15 lakh rupee Aria doesn't have a 4 year warranty!

Great news for customers. Whats highly appreciable is that Tata is extending the warranty to 4 years for all existing Nano owners too!

High Points:

- 4 year / 60,000 km manufacturer’s warranty standard on the Tata Nano (previous coverage was 18 months).

- Besides being applicable on new deliveries, the warranty is also being extended to all existing owners of the car.

- Option of comprehensive maintenance contract at only Rs.1,188 / year.

- Tata has delivered 71,000 Nanos till date.

- Nano also available with 90% financing. Tata Motors Finance promises to approve Nano loans within 48 hours.

- Tata is setting up Special Nano Access Points for customers in the hinterlands.

Last edited by GTO : 16th December 2010 at 00:00. Reason: Adding loan point
Old 9th December 2010, 13:19   #2
BANNED

Re: Now, Tata Nano with 4 year warranty as standard!

The efforts put by Tata Motors in much appreciated. One of the major cause of drop in the numbers of Nano seems to be not advertising it on TV. This is good time when they should start a full blown advert campaign mentioning the high points of the car (including the warranty, easy EMI etc)
Old 9th December 2010, 13:22   #3
BHPian

Once the sales registers start ringing again, this 4 yr warranty may be pulled back. That is how Tata will control its risk.

When Reliance Telecom entered the market, it started a special sales channel by offering its cdma phones to employees and shareholders, first at priority and later at good discounts. Tata group with its enormous employee and shareholder base can adopt this approach. Agreed that it will not be the target market but then this is a way to bring in volumes in a short time. More street presence will derive more confidence.
Old 9th December 2010, 14:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is a great move by Tata. But I agree with Ottocycle - where is the communication? Surprisingly the Nano press ads are not catchy - though I've seen some ads dont remember any of them. Also Tata cars in past had good TV ads - why not for Nano?
Old 9th December 2010, 14:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hope customers take this reassuring step from TATA positively. The ads are major problem with TATA. I dont remember any ad from TATA (I remember Jazz and Vento ads though)
Old 9th December 2010, 14:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Hope customers take this reassuring step from TATA positively. The ads are major problem with TATA. I dont remember any ad from TATA (I remember Jazz and Vento ads though)

I dont think they have enough margins to go for TV ads and hence we did not see any.

But I do agree, they must advertise this a lot. And regarding the warranty, it is a brilliant move by TATA
Old 9th December 2010, 14:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
Once the sales registers start ringing again, this 4 yr warranty may be pulled back. That is how Tata will control its risk.

When Reliance Telecom entered the market, it started a special sales channel by offering its cdma phones to employees and shareholders, first at priority and later at good discounts. Tata group with its enormous employee and shareholder base can adopt this approach. Agreed that it will not be the target market but then this is a way to bring in volumes in a short time. More street presence will derive more confidence.
Its Sad to Compare Tatas with other industrial groups!
I have always had Very High regards for the Tatas, and more for Late JRD and Mr. Ratan Tata. Their ethics in doing business is above board.

GTO you said "Besides being applicable on new deliveries, the warranty is also being extended to all existing owners of the car."
does this mean that I am entitled to a 4 year bumper to bumper? and I had paid a premium to get their extended warranty of I think 4 years so would I be entitled to a prorata refund of the amount?
Old 9th December 2010, 14:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

High Points:

- 4 year / 60,000 km manufacturer’s warranty standard on the Tata Nano (previous coverage was 18 months).

- Besides being applicable on new deliveries, the warranty is also being extended to all existing owners of the car.
During my purchase, i had opted for the extended warranty. So, will they refund that amount? Or will that be a waste of money? Any idea?
Old 9th December 2010, 14:58   #9
BANNED

Quote:
I dont think they have enough margins to go for TV ads and hence we did not see any.
This is a problem with their marketing team. They must make people aware that NANO has no longer a waiting period. Many people might still be under impression that NANO has long waiting period.
Old 9th December 2010, 17:16   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
This is a problem with their marketing team. They must make people aware that NANO has no longer a waiting period. Many people might still be under impression that NANO has long waiting period.
They can atleast make their website working properly!

I've never been able to retrieve the price list for Trivandrum, ever since the site was launched. It just stays stuck without proceeding further to the price list. Tata 'NANO' - The People's Car from Tata Motors
Old 9th December 2010, 17:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

hmm, the AMC offer is tempting, and something they should have done a long time ago, given the perception of their products. Kudos to chevrolet for introducing the concept !

Still want to read the fine print though
Old 9th December 2010, 17:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Whats highly appreciable is that Tata is extending the warranty to 4 years for all existing Nano owners too!
I am assuming you mean they are extending it as a 'purchaseable' option? I have my nano for nearly 10 months and it still has the std-18mth pack. I will check with the dealer about buying the extra 2.5 years for a price.
Old 9th December 2010, 18:29   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent!!!

I don't care if this move is going to improve the Nano sales or not. BUT let's congratulate TATA for this fantastic effort!

They gotta be damn serious about product quality now. Else they have shot themselves on the foot. Would be interesting to know the steps they do took to achieve this.

P.S: My jaws dropped when my bro told me about 10 Yrs powertrain warranty for Hyundai Genesis in the USA!

Read more here: Hyundai Assurance | America's Best Warranty
Old 9th December 2010, 22:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Much needed boost in the arm for the Nano. This will do a world of good for the Nano image. Existing customers too getting it! Now, that is something other Auto majors should sit up and take note of.
Old 9th December 2010, 22:49   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

If they could standardize this across their current model range! Great move, nevertheless.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks