Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2011, 12:09   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP : Renault Fluence spotted testing in Chennai *UPDATE* Coming on May 23.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
What do people associate Renault brand with?
Do not know about Europe but in India it is Alonso and Logan . Logan story is already over. They need to bring their F1 car to india and showcase it with (Fluence) each and every city and launch ceremony @ all locations.

Last edited by Latheesh : 12th May 2011 at 12:11.
Old 12th May 2011, 12:33   #107
BHPian

Re: SCOOP : Renault Fluence spotted testing in Chennai *UPDATE* Coming on May 23.

Renault is a reliable brand in Europe. Too bad it did not do its R&D properly before entering the Indian market. From what I've heard / read, the Logan is a good car, but owing to its design, nobody really gives two hoots to it or its manufacturer. IMO, the Logan set back Renault's reputation in India.

The Fluence should do the trick of brining back Renault to the thick of things in the Indian auto scene.

I am curious about one thing though. Elsewhere (EU, US), the USP, if I may use that word, of the Fluence is in the fact that its electric version is the main test vehicle for Renault's EV strategy. So, will we see something similar in India to what Renault and Better Place are doing in Israel, in the not so distant future?

Quote:
Guys, there seems to be a quick review by some not fancy journo.
Renault's Fluence totally stands out amongst its competitors - The Economic Times
But I can't help noticing that the auto news on ET is always weird. As in, you can make out its not written by an auto jurno. In this particular article, I almost fell from my chair laughing at this, "There is no dearth of sedans in our country-there is something that will suit every need. From sporty looking beasts to those with futuristic designs to really sober looking luxury machines... "

Last edited by Gooney : 12th May 2011 at 12:42.
Old 12th May 2011, 14:05   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Hairdressers! :P

No but in general it's considered to be a regular family car, perhaps even a little feminine. Decently reliable and usually have an emphasis on safety.

Peugeot on the other hand are often chosen by younger drivers and in general are more fun to drive! Hope Peugeot come back to India with the 207!
I believe Renaults also stand for the slightly younger generation. Their Renault Sport and Gordini models are the best hot-hatches in Europe.
Old 12th May 2011, 15:17   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
I believe Renaults also stand for the slightly younger generation. Their Renault Sport and Gordini models are the best hot-hatches in Europe.
Might be true, but the current Indian line up is definitely for the matured customer. Hope the Fluence changes that for Renault. If they dont ramp up their brand image and sales and service network, the 5 planned models would not make much impact in the market.
Old 12th May 2011, 22:27   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What do people associate Renault brand with?
Renault also has buses & trucks ?? I remember seeing a Renault truck in one of the Transporter movie series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Might be true, but the current Indian line up is definitely for the matured customer. Hope the Fluence changes that for Renault. If they dont ramp up their brand image and sales and service network, the 5 planned models would not make much impact in the market.
The way I think Logan should be a proof of Renault's engine. Yeah, those have the taxi image, but then so is / was Innova and Qualis too. India is not a market where majority goes for looks ! They are happy for a reliable car which gives a great mileage and low cost of ownership.

Renault is quite serious about their dealership from the reports that I have been reading. At least they have a wonderful opportunity to build from scratch and they should make use of it ! Get here some good cars and they should be having a decent run!
Old 12th May 2011, 23:17   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Renault also has buses & trucks ?? I remember seeing a Renault truck in one of the Transporter movie series.

The way I think Logan should be a proof of Renault's engine. Yeah, those have the taxi image, but then so is / was Innova and Qualis too. India is not a market where majority goes for looks ! They are happy for a reliable car which gives a great mileage and low cost of ownership.

Renault is quite serious about their dealership from the reports that I have been reading. At least they have a wonderful opportunity to build from scratch and they should make use of it ! Get here some good cars and they should be having a decent run!
The Innova or Qualis was meant to be a people mover, and they have succeeded in that. I'm not sure if that was what Renault and M&M wanted the Logan to be.
And Renault's approach to set up individual dealerships to impart premium feel is really noteworthy They learnt from their experience with M&M I suppose. Unlike FIAT!
Old 12th May 2011, 23:46   #112
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Just saw the Review of the Fluence on the Autocar Show. According to the reviewer it will only have 1 variant. The Petrol automatic & the manual Diesel were driven. There was no mention of the estimated price.
Personally , i did not like the looks of the car but nor did i hate it!
Old 13th May 2011, 13:35   #113
BHPian

Motoroids just reported that the car is bieng launched on 23rd May, two versions a 1.5 l Diesel and a 2.0 L petrol. Good news, but where are the dealerships.
Old 13th May 2011, 14:51   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Motoroids just reported that the car is bieng launched on 23rd May, two versions a 1.5 l Diesel and a 2.0 L petrol. Good news, but where are the dealerships.
Logically, opening up a dealership and not displaying any car will be ridiculous. Maybe, all the dealerships will open on the same day of launch.
Old 14th May 2011, 13:14   #115
BHPian

watching the overdrive show on CNBC. Some points.

1. 1.5 DCI with 106 BHP. Same engine as the Logan, but tuned for better drivability. with 21.84 kmpl ARAI FE.

2. 2.0 Petrol

3. Diesel is more stripped down in terms of features and interiors. All black interior. Looked dull in video

4. Petrol is more up-market. Grey-beige interior, premium materials. looked plush.
Old 14th May 2011, 13:56   #116
BHPian

Guy as mentioned by cuboid here is the detailed video from ACI. I just wish they gave the petrol features in the diesel as well. Looks like a drivers car to me.

sreejinair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2011, 14:01   #117
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Maybe they should create ads with Renault F1 cars zooming across tracks, then show the Fluence and say, "Now its your turn to get behind the wheels of a Renault"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
They need to bring their F1 car to india and showcase it with (Fluence) each and every city and launch ceremony @ all locations.
Negative. It's important for positioning to match the actual product. Launching the Fluence on the back of an F1 car may suit a performance-oriented machine (closest is the Cruze), but a car with regular performance at best....no ways. The ad campaign will fall flat on its face in terms of effectiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
From what I've heard / read, the Logan is a good car, but owing to its design
Not design, the primary reason for failure was price. In the entry sedan segment, looks are not given as much preference as the overall package & VFM. The Logan was built & projected as a workhorse. Well, at the time of launch, the other workhorse (namely, the Tata Indigo) was over 1 lakh rupees cheaper. And the Indigo interiors actually offered more amenities!

See what happened after Mahindra took full control and repositioned the Logan at a lower price point? Sales nearly tripled from 300 - 400 units a month to over a 1000.

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2011 at 14:02.
Old 14th May 2011, 21:51   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
watching the overdrive show on CNBC. Some points.

1. 1.5 DCI with 106 BHP. Same engine as the Logan, but tuned for better drivability. with 21.84 kmpl ARAI FE.

2. 2.0 Petrol

3. Diesel is more stripped down in terms of features and interiors. All black interior. Looked dull in video

4. Petrol is more up-market. Grey-beige interior, premium materials. looked plush.
Another case of diesel getting a step-mother treatment v/s the petrol version (feature-wise).

Does the petrol have a MT option, or only the CVT is offered?
Old 14th May 2011, 22:28   #119
Senior - BHPian

The petrol one in the autocar review looks nice and has quite a few goodies. Whats the expected positioning of this car? Something along the line of Vento / Verna / City?
Old 14th May 2011, 22:58   #120
BHPian

Expected in a range above those; around 12 lakh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
The petrol one in the autocar review looks nice and has quite a few goodies. Whats the expected positioning of this car? Something along the line of Vento / Verna / City?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks