Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 04:14   #136
BHPian

Re: SCOOP : Renault Fluence spotted testing in Chennai *UPDATE* Coming on May 23.

Saw the CNB Preview on NDTV today.

From what I remember (I will correct the errors as I've recorded the program ) the Diesel is Barebones, 6 Speed Manual, 1.5 Liter 105 BHP giving a mileage of 21.xx kmpl (ARAI). Also it comes with 2 Airbags,Auto Climate AC, Start Stop, Keyless Go, Electric ORVM's, Fabric Seats, ABS.

The Petrol I think is a 2 Liter 137 BHP producing Engine. It has all the bells and whistles with 6 Speed CVT II with Manual Mode, Auto Folding ORVM's, Leather Seats, Auto Wipers and Headlights, 4 Front Airbags, ESP, ABS, Keyless Go, Stop-Start, Dual Zone Auto AC, Rear AC Vents (missing in Diesel) and Side Skirt.

I think both versions come with Manual Sun Shade on Rearview Screen and the Rear Side Doors. The car surely looked Big (Kizashi Class) and SVP even said that the Diesel is the better engine of the two. Renault will be coming out with more versions in some months too. (I think they are first getting dealerships in place before launching the different variants).

1 Interesting thing that was shown was that the Key-Fob has a detachable lever kind of thing which can be plugged into the a small slot in the door handle (not the regular key slot) and can be used to pry open a cover which then shows the way to the key slot for the door. This is only available in Front Left Door (due to LHD in Europe) and is useful is the car's battery dies.
Old 16th May 2011, 10:57   #137
BHPian

Re: SCOOP : Renault Fluence spotted testing in Chennai *UPDATE* Coming on May 23.

Here is AutoCar's video review of Fluence:
Old 16th May 2011, 14:00   #138

I dont think the car belongs to D segment. This seems very much the case for at least the diesel that I have read about. Few things that I noted - a) No steering mounted controls b) interiors look average and not really inviting or plush c) Engine offered is a variant of the Logan engine. To me it looks more like a sub 10 lac car.
Old 16th May 2011, 14:30   #139
BHPian

I think cubes is right I dont think it will be classified as a D segment car, oh and if they price it in that range then expect very low sales. Also I just called Renault India on their help line and was wondering if they were planning to open a service center here in Aurangabad and he said Nope :(

I guess no point in getting a car which cannot be serviced in your city, right?
Old 16th May 2011, 14:46   #140
BHPian

To add few more bits to CNB stuff written here, that guy said petrol version seems SLUGGISH. He further added that if you wanna overtake on highways, you got to downshift and overtake. But there were some good words for diesel fluence though. "You feel connected" kind of engine.

PS: Best part is only 1 trim level in petrol and diesel. No Sx, Vx, Lx, ImCOi(Im Confused,Oi) and all such abbreviations

PPS:(refer below post) @nik_kapur, mentioned it in a lighter vein. My bad, didnt realize about engine thingy though

Last edited by akhil_007 : 16th May 2011 at 15:03. Reason: Added PPS.
Old 16th May 2011, 14:57   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
To add few more bits to CNB stuff written here, that guy said petrol version seems SLUGGISH. He further added that if you wanna overtake on highways, you got to downshift and overtake. But there were some good words for diesel fluence though. "You feel connected" kind of engine.

PS: Best part is only 1 trim level in petrol and diesel. No TDCi, CRDi, Sx, Vx, Lx, ImCOi(Im Confused,Oi) and all such abbreviations
TDCI and CRDI indicate the engine used and not the trim level. I dont quite agree with the 1 trim level idea. As a customer, i should have the right to choose what i want and what i do not want. In the case of the Diesel Fluence, why should one have to settle for a lower trim? Should only the petrol buyers enjoy Climate Control?
Old 16th May 2011, 15:00   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Who in their right minds would pay 13.7L ex-showroom (speculated) for a 1.5L dCI, 105 BHP Diesel Fluence, with an interior like this: ?NEW! Renault Fluence review - French benefit

Compare this with Cruze / Laura / Civic! To top this, Renault doesn't even have a brand established here.

Without an iota of doubt, I'd say that if they launch it at this price, there will be no way to save the Renault brand...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I agree, its way overpriced for what its worth. not so good features, underpowered engine, ergonomics not spot on, service network is non-existent, reliability unknown, parts price unknown. i see very less numbers. should have been price around 10 lakhs and it would have been ok.
Let's be frank shall we on this one. The Cruze LT MT (that's the lowest trim level) costs Rs 12,00,000 Ex-Showroom New Delhi. (LTZ MT - 13,48,402 Ex-Showroom New Delhi ) This price was valid from March 11 to April 11. So after the tax increase and definition change on KD cars, the Cruze will definitely cost more. Take that into consideration when you speak of prices. They should be compared to the competition.

Here is the cost of Altis Diesel, Ex-Showroom New Delhi

D-4D J 11,31,600
D-4D G 13,15,700
D-4D G(L) 14,21,100

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
I think cubes is right I dont think it will be classified as a D segment car, oh and if they price it in that range then expect very low sales. Also I just called Renault India on their help line and was wondering if they were planning to open a service center here in Aurangabad and he said Nope :(

Sad. See where the nearest dealer is located

Last edited by designersf : 16th May 2011 at 15:01.
Old 16th May 2011, 15:31   #143
BHPian

Well my nearest Renault dealer will be in Pune and that is around 250 kms. I dont think I'll be interested in getting my car serviced in Pune, its too much of travel. Although there is a possibility of myself shifting to Pune, if that happens I'll definitely think of it.

Since Nissan has a tie-up with Renault do you think we can service the Fluence at Nissan service centers?

Well too many questions even before the pricing is announced. Lets see what happens on 23rd. If the diesel crosses 13 lacs OTR I wont be buying the Fluence. I hope they price it below 13.
Old 16th May 2011, 19:44   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
Let's be frank shall we on this one. The Cruze LT MT (that's the lowest trim level) costs Rs 12,00,000 Ex-Showroom New Delhi. (LTZ MT - 13,48,402 Ex-Showroom New Delhi ) This price was valid from March 11 to April 11. So after the tax increase and definition change on KD cars, the Cruze will definitely cost more. Take that into consideration when you speak of prices. They should be compared to the competition.
I honestly do not understand what you intend to say. The speculated price is of Fluence 13.7L - So, should I not compare it to Cruze which is similarly priced, but compare it to a lower segment?

Or, should I compare Cruze with Fluence after its price is revised?

Compare the photo in the review (in the link that is in my post), and tell me if you'd pay *even* 10L ex-showroom for such an interiors. You can even compare this to two segments below, and the interior still SUCKS. The only way I am wrong is if the review does not have the 'real' picture of Fluence's interiors
Old 16th May 2011, 19:51   #145
BHPian

Quote:
The speculated price is of Fluence 13.7L
Can you let me know from where you got this information about its pricing? Also do you have any other details regarding the vehicle which is not officially released yet?
Old 16th May 2011, 19:53   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post

Here is the cost of Altis Diesel, Ex-Showroom New Delhi
Altis Diesel is overpriced too for what it offer. But it has tremendous brand recall, service centers throughout the country, reliability of a corolla, perfectly placed, well thought out interior. And we are crazy about diesels, so they are milking it while they can. Cruze has many advantages of its own which has been discussed to death here, so i am not getting there, but primary thing is the engine.

Compare that to Renault, what does it have to attract crowd to showroom? Oh, where are the showrooms first? I can't see them anywhere.

The interior of diesel lacks the following equipment - no power seats, fabric upholstery, no ACC, no usb/aux, no cruise control/speed limiter, no BT, no leather wrapped steering wheel, rear headroom is not good for more than average height people.

The ergonomic quirks are lever for bonnet on passenger side, handbrake & start/stop button on wrong side, steering mounted control oddly placed and a not so user friendly system for music.

Coming to the engine, it uses engine from Logan. But when i want to pay Rs. 12 lakhs for a car, i better get something different and powerful compared to a 5-lakh taxi car. How would you feel if Hyundai puts 1.4L diesel engine of i20 in the new elantra (avante) or Maruti puts in 1.3L multijet in a 15-lakh car. I for one would be certainly pissed.

I haven't even got to after sales service, spare parts price, availability of spares since i can't even see showrooms anywhere and are unknown entities till launched and owned.

Also, with this price tag, there is a certain status which plays in minds of many of us. I don't see that anywhere in Renault.

YMMV
Old 16th May 2011, 19:56   #147
BHPian

Quote:
I honestly do not understand what you intend to say. The speculated price is of Fluence 13.7L - So, should I not compare it to Cruze which is similarly priced, but compare it to a lower segment?

Or, should I compare Cruze with Fluence after its price is revised?

Compare the photo in the review (in the link that is in my post), and tell me if you'd pay *even* 10L ex-showroom for such an interiors. You can even compare this to two segments below, and the interior still SUCKS. The only way I am wrong is if the review does not have the 'real' picture of Fluence's interiors
That's just the speculated price. I don't say that your comparison is wrong. Just check with what others in the same segment are offering. and Cruze, Corolla, Civic have all seen hikes in price post the budget.

I'd pay more than that because I like the interiors just from the pictures. The real ones should be much better. If you don't like them, its your POV.
Old 16th May 2011, 20:14   #148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427Cubes View Post
I dont think the car belongs to D segment. This seems very much the case for at least the diesel that I have read about. Few things that I noted - a) No steering mounted controls b) interiors look average and not really inviting or plush c) Engine offered is a variant of the Logan engine. To me it looks more like a sub 10 lac car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post

+1. I guess the the Fluence will be tagged in C+. Surely not a D-Segment car.

As far as dealerships are concerned, the NDTV show mentioned that Renault is planning around 100 oulets by end 2012. That indeed quite an aggressive plan!
Old 16th May 2011, 23:45   #149
BHPian

I fail to see why people are so eager to run down cars, no one has yet sat in one and commented on the materials being cheap or anything. It looks like a well put together car and that's what all the reviewers are saying, and there are different trims.

What distinguishes a c from d? Is it size of the car, size of the engine or the features, in which case is the all new Verna top end model a d segmenter?

How many d segmenters available today has all the features one wants? All of them are making compromises on one thing or another, do the civic, Altis, or Cruze have all the features? So way too premature to dismiss this.
Old 16th May 2011, 23:57   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
PS: Best part is only 1 trim level in petrol and diesel. No Sx, Vx, Lx, ImCOi(Im Confused,Oi) and all such abbreviations
Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
I dont quite agree with the 1 trim level idea. As a customer, i should have the right to choose what i want and what i do not want.
Fluence will launch initially with just 1 trim in petrol & diesel and will have more trims added later - this is as per the reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
In the case of the Diesel Fluence, why should one have to settle for a lower trim? Should only the petrol buyers enjoy Climate Control?
Sadly this is the way manufactures think - there are very few diesel models which has real top spec as their petrol counter parts.

On the Fluence, I guess the stripped down diesel version is to make the customers think that diesel is not very expensive. Once the image sticks, they will bring in the higher trims and people who wants better features can opt for it. Probably the price sensitive market is to blame here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Coming to the engine, it uses engine from Logan. But when i want to pay Rs. 12 lakhs for a car, i better get something different and powerful compared to a 5-lakh taxi car. How would you feel if Hyundai puts 1.4L diesel engine of i20 in the new elantra (avante) or Maruti puts in 1.3L multijet in a 15-lakh car. I for one would be certainly pissed.
Though the engine used in Logan is same, the state of tune is different in Fluence. While Logan has 65 PS of power, Fluence has a 106 PS from the same engine. Its pretty much the same as BMW 3 series and 5 series sharing the same engines with different state of tunes.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th May 2011 at 23:59.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed