Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2011, 01:10   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP : Renault Fluence spotted testing in Chennai *UPDATE* Coming on May 23.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Though the engine used in Logan is same, the state of tune is different in Fluence. While Logan has 65 PS of power, Fluence has a 106 PS from the same engine. Its pretty much the same as BMW 3 series and 5 series sharing the same engines with different state of tunes.
Obviously, it will be in different state of tune. But its too underpowered to be in a 13 lakh car. Before you say, corolla diesel, i am also against its engine. Something on the lines of cruze is good.

Also, point to be noted is, petrol version has a CVT. I was expecting DCT atleast. But again a damper in terms of transmission which is not good.
Old 17th May 2011, 12:54   #152
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP : Renault Fluence spotted testing in Chennai *UPDATE* Coming on May 23.

Well, one simple question to Renault (and to every other company who does the model 'distinction' exercise): Why do we need to have cheaper colour combinations for lower specced models? The base Fluence diesel looks to have black+some-grey-black-something colour, which makes the car interior a drab place to be in. For a company, which is launching its car in only two variants, this shouldn't be a part of strategic move to distinguish between its own product models.

A beige+black interior colour combo looks quite cool on Fluence. I have nothing against having an All-Black interior;just that in this case, it looks plain drab. With their strategy (of lower diesel pricing), they should be looking to move as many diesel base variants as possible (after all, that's why they have priced the diesel low). For somebody, who is in the market to buy a D segment car, interiors are very important, even on the base model. having a spartan interior with dull colour combination will gave the car interior a dowdy feel . If the customers need features, they might as well buy ANHV ( a C segment car)which is loaded to the brim. They are buying a D segment car coz they need a certain size, quality and reputation. Remember, that unlike a segment below, reputation is very important here. Since Renault doesn't have any brand presence in India, they need to provide a car with high 'perceived quality'. Having drab interiors in the base trim seems to kill that very idea.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 17th May 2011 at 13:00.
Old 17th May 2011, 13:06   #153
Senior - BHPian

Ah, thats a very good point Abhi. I have to agree with you. But a small thing to note, the interiors can be all black with brushed aluminium effects or chrome highlights, if the car is sporty, fast and if the manufacturer wants the car to appeal to the younger generation more ( like the Cruze). But if they don't have a powerful engine or entertaining handling to please the true 'Driver', they should stick to the Black+Beige and wood trim to please the passengers and make the car look roomy. But that said, even young buyers prefer Black+Beige combi in our country though.
Old 17th May 2011, 14:55   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
To add few more bits to CNB stuff written here, that guy said petrol version seems SLUGGISH. He further added that if you wanna overtake on highways, you got to downshift and overtake. But there were some good words for diesel fluence though. "You feel connected" kind of engine.

PS: Best part is only 1 trim level in petrol and diesel. No Sx, Vx, Lx, ImCOi(Im Confused,Oi) and all such abbreviations

PPS:(refer below post) @nik_kapur, mentioned it in a lighter vein. My bad, didnt realize about engine thingy though
We are getting some mixed reviews here. As per Hormazd's tweet the petrol motor with CVT is quite impressive whereas the diesel is bit sluggish at low revs.
Old 17th May 2011, 16:54   #155
BHPian

^^
I m very much wary of this CNB show on NDTV. Last time, that guy said, ANHV is a very good to drive in city but later added that it suffers from turbo-lag.

So I think we need to take those reviews with a pinch of salt
akhil_007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 17:35   #156
Senior - BHPian

I guess Hormazd is correct going by BSM report on Diesel Fluence (refer second line of the 3rd para):

Renault Fluence & Koleos - The French Connection

But, what is good is the torque (24.5 kgm at 2000 rpm) & 0-100 time (11.4 seconds). I guess this the problem with smaller diesel engine producing more power with the turbo in action. But, I guess of the peak torque is available at lower rpm, say 1700, it could have been better drivable in lower rpm, lest one needs to keep the engine in the boil to extract performance.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2011, 12:02   #157
Senior - BHPian

Autocar India review the Renault Fluence
Old 19th May 2011, 02:51   #158
BHPian

Well, its good to hear that Fluence will be launched in the Automatic mode in India. I had driven this Car last month in Middle East. I never thought that the same Model will be launched in India ( Automatic).

The Car I drove was a 140 bhp Petrol version. The Car looks bigger than Corolla and inside it is comfortable for 5 adults. The Car resembles a Coupe. The 3 quarters and side profile are the best angles.

The best part of the Car was its Gear Box, with a manual mode. A 6 speed one. There is no D1 and D2. But to counter this, manual mode is given. I'd driven an automatic about 5 years back, so got surprised to see that there were absolutely no jerks, when the gear changes. This is a surprise, because its not a merc or a beemer. And for a 12-13 lac Car, the gear box is excellent. You can switch to manual mode any time by just pulling the lever aside. And the manual gears are operated by pushing the lever to the front and back - Again no jerks, even if you down shift to 2nd gear in running. You can only feel the torque.

I guess the mileage is also good since it's a 6 speed automatic. The front windshield is so raked that above 6 footers may touch their heads. The only negative I heard from the Owner of the Car is its cooling system, which is not effective in the Middle East. Of course, our summer's are not so harsh, so we can manage.
Old 19th May 2011, 11:09   #159
Senior - BHPian

Note to MODS:

Are we (tbhp)in the process of testing the Fluence? I am asking this coz the jurnos from ACI and all other mags had access to the car in Puducherry recently.

If we are not in the process of publishing a test drive already, can we try to get one. This is the first Renault model in India (discounting the Logan) and evry imp for the comapny's future. Also, French cars are relative unknowns in India, so we need tbhp first hand impressions.

For e.g. it is a general concept that Euro cars are more robust and build quality is better than the Japs. So, does the Fluence match up with the Germans then? Also, the basic trim is quite spartan, but how are the quality levels? The diesel engine is fairly under powered, but how does it fare in the real world conditions.

We need this one
Old 19th May 2011, 11:46   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Since Nissan has a tie-up with Renault do you think we can service the Fluence at Nissan service centers?
No, Renault will not be taking any help from Nissan for the Fluence in terms of dealer or service network.
Old 20th May 2011, 12:05   #161
Team-BHP Support

@ Abhi_Automobile - Hang in there. You'll get Team-BHP's first hand impressions on the Fluence soon.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 13:36   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Renault SA (RNO) aims to sell 100,000 cars a year in India by the end of 2013, as the French automaker introduces its first model in the Asian country since exiting a joint venture with [url="http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=MM:IN"]Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd.
====================
Renault Targets 100,000 Cars a Year in India Return - Bloomberg
100,000 cars seems like a tall order, no?
Old 20th May 2011, 15:08   #163
Team-BHP Support

Thinking on why Renault decided to bring fully loaded petrol and a minimal diesel?

Could be because they have studied the trends pretty well. They know that we’re more of a diesel market, and also have seen how some petrol variants find it hard to beat the diesel counterparts (e.g.; Vento). So this may be to push the sales of the petrol variant. The bare bone diesel could cost the same as the fully loaded petrol, and that could lure buyers towards the petrol variant.
Old 20th May 2011, 15:41   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Thinking on why Renault decided to bring fully loaded petrol and a minimal diesel?

Could be because they have studied the trends pretty well. They know that we’re more of a diesel market, and also have seen how some petrol variants find it hard to beat the diesel counterparts (e.g.; Vento). So this may be to push the sales of the petrol variant. The bare bone diesel could cost the same as the fully loaded petrol, and that could lure buyers towards the petrol variant.
I disagree slightly. I do think that they have studied the market, but my POV is slightly different. I think they are launching the diesel bare bone coz typically its the diesel base model (or middle model)that sells the most (in D segment; in C segment its not the case:- take Vento for e.g.). I think they will try to push the base diesel sales really hard since that is what most people want. Petrol is for people who actually want a petrol (not buy it due to cost reasons). Remember, in D segment, the person who 'wants' a big car but is also concerned over costs involved almost always buys diesel. An exact opposite trend to the B segment, where people buy petrol primarily doe to cost reasons.

However, I think they need to adapt to the market response quickly. Very soon, they'll realize that there is a strong demand for diesel mid variant. Personally, I think they have done a mistake in putting dowdy interiors in the base diesel trim. With those base trim, they surely need to target 10.99 (the original Cruze price tag)., which I don't think will be the case.
Old 20th May 2011, 17:05   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

@Abhi_Automobile: The problem is that people will compare the diesel with the petrol variant as these are the only 2 cars renault has. And everyone is going to notice the difference in equipment levels. End result? Well according to me people will either go for cruze ( more VFM) or jump down a segment and go for the Vento and ANHV given the similar engine specs.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks