Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2011, 17:23   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP : Renault Fluence spotted testing in Chennai *UPDATE* Coming on May 23.

Actually I'm wondering what Renault was going to lose by offering a fully loaded diesel too? Petrol has limited appeal, so offering only a fully loaded petrol will keep the base prices higher, giving it more brand value as it gets up-market pricing. But why not a fully loaded diesel? Ultimately Diesel is the one which would bring in volumes, so why not more variants?
Old 20th May 2011, 18:07   #167
Senior - BHPian

Re: SCOOP : Renault Fluence spotted testing in Chennai *UPDATE* Coming on May 23.

If the launch is really on the 23rd May { which is just 2 days away}, why isnt Renault creating a Buzz or launching some sort of a 'teaser' campaign in news papers etc? They have already messed up their brand identity by launching the logan and then distancing themselves from it now.
Old 20th May 2011, 18:14   #168
BHPian

Not sure about 23rd May. The website says its coming in June 2011.

Renault - Range of Cars
Old 20th May 2011, 18:19   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
If the launch is really on the 23rd May { which is just 2 days away}, why isnt Renault creating a Buzz or launching some sort of a 'teaser' campaign in news papers etc? They have already messed up their brand identity by launching the logan and then distancing themselves from it now.
I guess, Renault wants to tease the customers in a different way! By launching only the stripped out diesel version
Old 20th May 2011, 18:30   #170
Senior - BHPian

Renault could well do a peugeot and exit the indian market in a couple of years if they dont get their product line up and marketing strategies right.
Old 20th May 2011, 18:56   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Renault could well do a peugeot and exit the indian market in a couple of years if they dont get their product line up and marketing strategies right.
But maybe they wouldn't as they have 5 new products lined up, and I personally fell that at least the Duster SUV and the small car (Clio?) would click with the customers, if priced sensibly and if they develop their sales and service network by then
Old 20th May 2011, 21:52   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
I disagree slightly. I do think that they have studied the market, but my POV is slightly different. I think they are launching the diesel bare bone coz typically its the diesel base model (or middle model)that sells the most (in D segment; in C segment its not the case:- take Vento for e.g.). I think they will try to push the base diesel sales really hard since that is what most people want. Petrol is for people who actually want a petrol (not buy it due to cost reasons). Remember, in D segment, the person who 'wants' a big car but is also concerned over costs involved almost always buys diesel. An exact opposite trend to the B segment, where people buy petrol primarily doe to cost reasons.

However, I think they need to adapt to the market response quickly. Very soon, they'll realize that there is a strong demand for diesel mid variant. Personally, I think they have done a mistake in putting dowdy interiors in the base diesel trim. With those base trim, they surely need to target 10.99 (the original Cruze price tag)., which I don't think will be the case.
Agreed on what you said. But I look at it this way. My guess is that the Fluence will be positioned in the C+ segment – to fight out with the likes of Laura / Civic / Cruze etc. And they could very well price it in the base of the said segment. Now with the current decision of launching a single variant each for petrol and diesel could be beneficial for them due to the following reasons:
1) The diesel will not kill the petrol sibling in a VFM context. Petrol buyers will feel happy with the added kit
2) Renault has to overcome the negative publicity of having the 1.5 Logan engine in this car. And they can do it only by playing the price advantage. On a fully loaded diesel, the typical mindset will be this – why should I shell out 13-14 lakhs for a car with an engine from a lesser car?
Old 20th May 2011, 22:03   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by em17 View Post
Not sure about 23rd May. The website says its coming in June 2011.

Renault - Range of Cars
The car will be launched on 23 May and prices and other details will be announced. Deliveries will start from June, hence they have mentioned June 2011 in website. The car has been revealed to all major auto mags and they have been invited for TDs as well.

Quote:
I don't think they will exit. Renault is quite serious about India and they have already studied the market and have decided the product line up for the next couple of years too. Even if this car flops because of pricing, I am sure they will correct it in the next products. But I guess they should be good with pricing if they have done their ground work after Logan bombed.
Old 21st May 2011, 18:36   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
But maybe they wouldn't as they have 5 new products lined up, and I personally fell that at least the Duster SUV and the small car (Clio?) would click with the customers, if priced sensibly and if they develop their sales and service network by then
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I don't think they will exit. Renault is quite serious about India and they have already studied the market and have decided the product line up for the next couple of years too. Even if this car flops because of pricing, I am sure they will correct it in the next products. But I guess they should be good with pricing if they have done their ground work after Logan bombed.
Agree with Aravind and Swiftnfurious here. They look pretty serious about the plans for India, and I don’t expect them to go in the Peugot way. I had a look at the Renault India website, and they have actually listed the month/year in which the said 5 cars will be released. And right now, only Fluence is in picture, and rest of models are masked.

Here is a screenshot attached, and from shapes outlined against each dates, here is my guess (below the attachment):

SCOOP : Renault Fluence spotted testing in Chennai *UPDATE* Coming on May 23.-renault-range-india.jpg

Jun 2011: Fluence (already unmasked on the website)
Oct 2011: Koleos SUV
Jan 2012: Clio hatchback
Jul 2012: Duster SUV
Sep 2012: Latitude Sedan (or maybe the Laguna sedan) – not very sure on this
Old 21st May 2011, 20:02   #175
Team-BHP Support

If they are serious on the Indian market they should also unravel there plans to on the dealership and service network.

And I hope they don't go Fiat way by tie-ups with some guys here.
Old 22nd May 2011, 00:15   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If they are serious on the Indian market they should also unravel there plans to on the dealership and service network.

And I hope they don't go Fiat way by tie-ups with some guys here.
I reckon they'll use Nissan dealerships by cashing in on their Renault-Nissan JV.
Old 22nd May 2011, 00:19   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
I reckon they'll use Nissan dealerships by cashing in on their Renault-Nissan JV.
Isn't Nissan itself is having very few dealers, and is a point that many prospective customers are put off from the Micra.

Cheers!
Old 22nd May 2011, 14:12   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Isn't Nissan itself is having very few dealers, and is a point that many prospective customers are put off from the Micra.

Cheers!
True, but something is better than nothing right? Maybe Renault and Nissan could have joint dealerships, but the experience has to be decent for the people looking at either brands. Not like the step motherly treatment the TATA dealer near my locality gives for FIAT customers
Old 22nd May 2011, 15:15   #179
BHPian

I am not in the market for a hatch but I like the Micra interiors, it looked well put together, the car itself is solid. And I am seeing quite a few around in Mumbai suburbs.

With the Logan I like the suspension, it soaks bumps nicely. I think Renault is doing the right things, they appear serious about India.

The cars seem right. I like the Fluence, it looks robust and solid. With good pricing on the diesel it can make a difference. It takes a long time to put together a dealer network and ensure excellent service and build a reputation. These are not going to happen in a day. And given the investments required it makes sense to have joint Nissan/Renault dealerships and service. These are still early days, and I hope they get it right. More credible competition, more products is good for consumers.
Old 22nd May 2011, 16:13   #180
Senior - BHPian

Nice looking car. So we wait till June, when the monsoons set in. Fair enough. But why this name. For a minute I thought that I was seeing 'Renault Flatulence'. If their cars don't do well here, then the phrase will be apt.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks