Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2010, 17:10   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Swift and DZire Have no MSIL Discounts - A Tribute to These Cars

Even five and a half years after its launch around June 2005, the Swift (all models) are still in great demand. The DZire launch was much (on 26/3/2008) later than the Swift but this car too has done quite a few years in our market.
Its a surprise that even today 11/12/2010, when we see the list of discounts available on Maruti models (the lists from today's papers are attached from two different dealers), neither the Swift (all models) nor the DZire (all models) feature in the list.
I think that these two models are making history for MSIL and in today's market its a marvel that cars still have waiting lists and demand.Even the recent recessionary phase in our economy during 2008-09 could not make any dent in the demand for these cars.
All said and done the situation was different in June 2005 (the year Swift was launched) or later on in March 2008, when the DZire was launched.There were not many competing models in the class. Today, the Hyundai i10,Fiat Punto,Tata Indica Vista/Indigo Manza,VW Polo/Vento, Nissan Micra,Toyota Etios, Skoda Fabia,Ford Figo,Chevrolet Beat (hope I have not left out any) are all available in the B and lower C segment.
The Hyundai i 10 is also in a discount mode though its the second/ sometimes third best selling car in India after the Alto sales figure wise.
But till the Swift and the DZire are unbeaten!
I am sure these two cars will be recorded in our automobile history as invincible and great survivors, in this age of cut throat competition..
Maruti Swift and DZire Have no MSIL Discounts - A Tribute to These Cars-dsc06356.jpg

Maruti Swift and DZire Have no MSIL Discounts - A Tribute to These Cars-dsc06357.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 11th December 2010 at 17:23.
Old 12th December 2010, 19:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Swift and DZire Have no MSIL Discounts - A Tribute to These Cars

Of these, Dzire has more demand. When we bought Swift P earlier this year, we got 5K exchange bonus and 3-4 K corporate discount. Both these discounts were not offered on Dzire. I know as we had booked Swift Dzire P first and then changed to Swift P.
Old 12th December 2010, 20:24   #3
BHPian

I got my Dzire in 2008 June when there was a long waiting period. Had to make few calls to get the car home in couple of weeks.
Old 15th December 2010, 15:49   #4
BHPian

My close friend bought a petrol Swift in June 2006 in Blore & waited only for a week. There was a discount of 15 K off too. But no free accessories, not even a rubber floor mat
Old 16th December 2010, 08:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well. I think we should give a tribute to the guys who strategised this and allowed maruti to manufacture "sold" cars!!!
Old 16th December 2010, 09:37   #6
BHPian

Same here.When I decided to go with the Swift D back in 2007,the talk of the town was about the waiting period.
6 months was what was told to me.I knew a person who was "well connected" with the MSIL management and guess what,I got my Swift D in 2 weeks time.
Old 16th December 2010, 10:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is indeed a great tribute to Swift. I wonder what went wrong with Fiat Grande Punto and Tata Indica Vista which is now available off the shelf and with huge discounts /offers.
Old 16th December 2010, 21:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
This is indeed a great tribute to Swift. I wonder what went wrong with Fiat Grande Punto and Tata Indica Vista which is now available off the shelf and with huge discounts /offers.
Well what I think went wrong with them is Tata's service centers. Even yesterday my friend was talking about the Govt-office-like attitude at Tata's service centre when he went to leave his Indigo for service. And another colleague mentioned that they wouldn't even touch his Fiat Weekend

As always Swift rocks
Old 16th December 2010, 21:23   #9
BANNED

Ritz D discount?

I really envy swift ! but i guess all this will change once the new swift is launched. personally i didnt like it much mainly because it has a much smaller boot than the current swift and the rear part is ugly.

Surprisingly how come discount on RITZ LDI/VDI is available
Old 17th December 2010, 11:51   #10
BHPian

Now the Swift is in great demand, when I bought this way back in Jan - 2007 (Car make was DEC-2006), I was able to pick it up from the shelf, at that time I got the discount of 20K from MSIL and then another 13K towards corporate discount. So a total of 33K for the ZXi. I think then swift was not in demand. It only picked up sales after the Diesel was launched. People took some time to digest the external appearance of the Swift. Just like the Zen which had very few takers when the car was launched and it was mostly exported at that time. It had triggered good sales later.
Same with Ritz I guess, even that is available of the shelf now. No demand - More discount, More Demand Less (NO) Discount.
Old 17th December 2010, 16:41   #11
BHPian

I do see advertisements for Desir in few channels(i have not seen any in the last two years). Think the affect of the new launches are taking its affect now and slowly we may see the discounts being offered for these models too.
Old 20th December 2010, 09:24   #12
BHPian

I too am seeing some ads now, am sure that the Etios will cause these leaders to come down and offer discounts. Expecting this party to be over and the consumer to gain!
Old 14th June 2011, 22:59   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

The last post here by fellow member hemantbsutar was posted on 20/12/2010. There has been virtually no change in the waiting list positions of the diesel variants of the Swift and DZire.The petrol variants have a slightly better availability though now.
The point I was trying to make is that despite the stiff competition in this segment after the many new entrants, these two car models still remain in demand.
Now with the strike entering its 11th day, the production has suffered as these are made at the MSIL's Manesar plant.
Even the Honda City prices have been slashed. This car never before had any discounts of any sort, during its history in India but has been facing a bitter competition especially from the VW Vento which has made Honda SIEL take such a step.
Again hence its a tribute to the Swift and DZire for still remaining the most sought after models by buyers in the segment!
Old 14th June 2011, 23:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Again hence its a tribute to the Swift and DZire for still remaining the most sought after models by buyers in the segment!
I am a proud owner of a Swift ZXi (1.3 lt) . In my opinion its the best package available in the market amongst hatches - perfectly priced, hoot of an engine, contemporary looks, thrilling handling, low cost of maintenance, low cost of spares, it has small bits of addition and improvements [ engine specs change to make it more fuel efficient, controls on steering , tail lamp changes, etc] every now and then . If one can adjust to the less leg room in the rear, the seating position and the under thigh support makes it a good car for long distance travel. Thus as a package its extremely competitive and right priced , it does not need discount to prod it all along - with the new Swift it will rule the charts for many more months
Old 15th June 2011, 11:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

When I got my Swift LDi almost 2 years ago, Sai Service did give me a 5k discount (exchange bonus), but that was that! Try as much as you want, MSIL guys just dont budge when it comes to discounts on the Swift or the DZire.

Most Viewed