Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2011, 13:51   #166
BHPian

Re: Nano Upgrade coming soon! *UPDATE* New nano at same old price

Just found this press release mailer from Tata Motors regarding the new nano.

"Tata Nano now with even more

Tata Motors today announced for the Tata Nano introduction of a bouquet of features, of new colours, new interiors, a more powerful gasoline engine and even greater fuel efficiency of 25.4 kmpl, further improving on its record as India''s most fuel efficient petrol car. The car is already available at dealerships, at the same price as before.

Making the Tata Nano even more desirable, the car''s 624cc engine has been made more powerful delivering an impressive 38 PS of power (earlier 35 PS) and 51 Nm of torque (earlier 48 Nm). Yet fuel efficiency, already a high point with Tata Nano owners, has been taken to a new high of 25.4 kmpl (earlier 23.6 kmpl) as certified by the Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI). The high fuel efficiency, with a low kerb weight of 600 kg, ensures that the Tata Nano at 92.7 gm / kmhas the lowest CO2 emission among cars in India

With a top speed of 105 km and ability to negotiate inclines with a gradeability of 30%, and a class-leading turning radius of just 4 metres, the Tata Nano is a perfect combination of power and performance.

The ride and handling, also already highly appreciated by existing owners, now has become even better with a revised suspension set-up, including an anti-roll bar at the front, and a steering mechanism made even easier. While the cabin is quiet, a racier sounding exhaust note now gives the Tata Nano a more assertive road presence. Booster-assisted brakes, already available in the Nano CX and the LX, have now been added to the Nano Standard as well. The Nano CX and LX now have tip-tap mirrors on both the driver and passenger sides. For the Nano Standard, which already has a driver side mirror, the passenger side one can be installed as an accessory.

The interiors are completely new with enhanced premiumness in look and feel - luxurious beige in the Nano LX, rich black in the Nano CX and stunning medium graphite in the Standard version. The exteriors are now a veritable vibgyor of 10 colours, eight of them - new Pearl White, Rouge Red, Aqua Blue, Neon Rush, Serene White, Meteor Silver, Mojito Green, Papaya Orange, Sunshine Yellow, and Champagne Gold. New half or full wheel caps accentuate the distinctiveness.

Commenting on the introduction, Mr. P.M. Telang, Tata Motors'' Managing Director - India Operations, has said, ''Tata Nano owners, over 90% of whom are highly satisfied with their choice, have given us valuable insights on what more can be done. We have introduced some of these ideas. We will continue to add features, as has been our tradition across our product portfolio.''

The three trim levels and their key features are:

Tata Nano Standard:

The standard version comes with three colour options - Rouge Red, Aqua Blue, Serene White - along with clear headlamps, tubeless tyres and tip-tap driver side mirror, booster-assisted brakes and front suspension with anti-roll bar. The interiors comprise dual-tone vinyl seats and fold-down rear seat.

Tata Nano CX:

The Nano CX comes in six colour options - Rouge Red, Champagne Gold, Neon Rush, Meteor Silver, Papaya Orange and Serene White. The interiors have been refreshed with trendy black fabric seats, ebony black interiors, fold-down rear seat with nap rest. Besides these, the variant offers best-in-class air-conditioning with heating (optional), parcel shelf, booster-assisted brakes, tip-tap mirrors on driver and passenger side and half wheel covers.

Tata Nano LX:

The top-end variant comes loaded with features like premium beige fabric seats, central locking, door handles, front power windows, cup holder in front console, provision for 12V socket, body coloured bumpers, fog lamps, electronic trip meter, rear spoiler, full wheel covers and tip-tap mirrors on driver and passenger side and booster-assisted brakes. The Nano LX comes in six premium colours - Pearl White, Papaya Orange, Mojito Green, Sunshine Yellow, Meteor Silver and Champagne Gold.

All the variants come with an unmatched warranty of 4 years or 60,000 kms, whichever is earlier.

The Tata Nano will continue to be available at the same price. The Tata Nano is priced (ex-showroom, Delhi), at Rs. 1.40 lakhs for the Nano Standard, Rs. 1.70 lakhs for the Nano CX and Rs. 1.96 lakhs for the Nano LX.

The Tata Nano is available across 676 outlets. Customers can buy the Tata Nano at an extremely low down-payment, starting from Rs.15,000 and high tenure financing (up to 60 months)."

Hope it re gains some its good numbers back now or do even more than them!
Maverick79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 13:55   #167
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Nano Upgrade coming soon! *UPDATE* Updated version coming end November, Details P

Info on the updated Nano:

• Same price

• Higher 25.4 kpl ARAI rating

• 38PS of power (earlier 35 PS)

• 51 Nm of torque (earlier 48 Nm)

• A revised suspension set-up, including an anti-roll bar at the front, and a steering mechanism.

• A better sounding exhaust note.

• Booster-assisted brakes, already available in the Nano CX and the LX, have now been added to the Nano Standard as well.

• The Nano CX and LX now have mirrors on both the driver and passenger sides. For the Nano Standard, the passenger side one can be installed as an accessory.

• Beige interiors for the Nano LX, black in the Nano CX and graphite in the Standard version.

• 10 colour options (8 are new) : Pearl White, Rouge Red, Aqua Blue, Neon Rush, Serene White, Meteor Silver, Mojito Green, Papaya Orange, Sunshine Yellow, and Champagne Gold.

• New half or full wheel caps.

• All the variants come with a warranty of 4 years or 60,000 kms, whichever is earlier.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 14:11   #168
BHPian

Re: Nano Upgrade coming soon. *UPDATE* Launched! Details on Page 12

A good move by TATA to make this product even more appealing. However, in my opinion, the fact that the NANO has not done as expected has to do more with the bad publicity due to engine fires and poor marketing by TATA itself and as long as this is not addressed, the NANO may yet struggle to garner the sales it deserves.
Old 21st November 2011, 17:51   #169
Senior - BHPian

Super move, and keeping the price the same is an even better move. Now with some more visibility (ads, campaigns), the Nano can make up some lost ground. Nice bouquet of colours.

Are "tip-tap" mirrors the ones where one has to push them to adjust or does just the glass move (like in some versions of the Innova)?

IMHO the exhaust note is the biggest change, and one that will be appreciated the most. Any clue on how they've managed the increased power/torque figures while also increasing the mileage?
Old 21st November 2011, 18:05   #170
BHPian

TYPICAL TATA SYLE bugs and niggles fixing with features augumentation move.

I hope Tata has done the needful to the battery & fire issues. Still the Rear wheel size is bigger 155 than front 135.

For those who trusted Tata, pledged their faith and Q'd first to pay advance and became official guinea pigs for Tata for their Nano RIP.

Last edited by harimakesh : 21st November 2011 at 18:17.
Old 21st November 2011, 18:16   #171
Senior - BHPian

More than the cosmetics, i am interested in looking out for the reliability of the New Nano. Hoping to see an ownership review and service experience. I truly go by a product for its reliability and dealer experience and not for cosmetics.
Old 21st November 2011, 18:52   #172

guys i have a question since i'm about to buy the car.
on the tata website, it shows that the max power is achieved at 5500 +/-250rpm and the max torque at about 4000 +/-500rpm. does this mean that the car can be tuned to pump out the max power/torque at say 5250/3500 rpm if the owner wants to(from hte A.S.S. of course)?
if not, what is the actual significance of the +/- margin in both cases? experts plz enlighten.
Old 21st November 2011, 20:23   #173
Senior - BHPian

Nice update by Tata.

Hope the Nano takes off now like the Indica V2. The little car deserves to sell more, a lot more. Time for a TD.
Old 21st November 2011, 23:08   #174
Senior - BHPian

Here is the latest Tata Nano 2012 TV Commercial

Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2011, 01:03   #175
BHPian

Could some of these changes be retrofit on the older say less than 3-6 month old nano even for a moderate cost. I have a thought of buying a Nano which could be on sale in a few months and is hardly a month old now . If i can retrofit the Anti Roll bars and improve the BHP rating via a software patch on the ecu then i would really not mind investing in the used car
Old 22nd November 2011, 01:16   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by octaneaddicted View Post
on the tata website, it shows that the max power is achieved at 5500 +/-250rpm and the max torque at about 4000 +/-500rpm. does this mean that the car can be tuned to pump out the max power/torque at say 5250/3500 rpm if the owner wants to(from hte A.S.S. of course)?
if not, what is the actual significance of the +/- margin in both cases? experts plz enlighten.
can someone please anwer my query?
i'm breaking my head over it for the last few days....

BTW- on the intro page of the nano, one of the mouse over links until yesterday used to read - improved suspension-superior ride quality.
today it just reads superior ride quality. just thought i'd put this down.......
Old 22nd November 2011, 02:22   #177
Senior - BHPian

I wish they had upgraded to disc brakes atleast on the top end model. Brakes are the only thing thats stopping me buy one for my wife.
Old 22nd November 2011, 10:50   #178
Senior - BHPian

Nano's HP figure used to be 33 when the car was launched. When did it increase to 35? If it did, it wasn't publicised. Or is this another instance of carelessness on the part of TML's marketing communcations team?

Anyways, a praiseworthy effort by TML engineers. Best of luck to TML!
Old 22nd November 2011, 21:22   #179
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octaneaddicted View Post
octaneaddicted, I think one must not read too much into the +/- (a few) rpm thing given in the specifications. I believe it could be just an approximation on Tata's part. If for instance, the Nano makes its maximum power (38 PS now) somewhere near the 5500 rpm mark, but not necessarily exactly at 5500 rpm, or the engine has a small flat power band near the 5500 rpm mark (churns out the same power over a few hundred rpm), then it would make sense for Tata to give maximum power as 38PS@5500(+/- 250)rpm instead of 38PS@5500rpm. It's just that the former figure happens to be a more accurate representation than the latter.

The same holds true for the engine's new, uprated maximum torque of 51Nm@4000(+/-500)rpm. Also, torque curves have a tendency to be near flat over a small range (for naturally aspirated engines) or over quite a wide range (for turbo-charged engines). So in all likelihood, the Nano's uprated engine probably does develop its maximum torque over a range of a couple of hundred rpm (small range) below/above the 4000rpm mark.

I may be wrong on this, but this is what I believe is the significance of the +/- (a few) rpm thing you mentioned.

I also don't believe Tata's service centres would be able to precisely set the maximum power or torque at a specific rpm, according to the customer's wish. It's a characteristic of the engine itself, and unless Tata has given them a specific software update for the engine's ECU or some other fine-tuning bit like that, the service centres wouldn't be able to normally perform such a thing
Old 22nd November 2011, 22:49   #180

Thanks RSR for clearin that up...
i'm about to take a TD over the weekend to see the effect of taller gear ratios(i assume thats how they got 25.35 kmpl) on the increased power/torque figures.
If all goes well, i'll soon be putting up an ownership report
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks