Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2010, 12:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Nano Upgrade coming soon. *UPDATE* Launched! Details on Page 12

Note from Mod : GTO's 2012 Tata Nano Review has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion on the review thread. Thanks

Due to the flagging Nano, TML is planning an upgrade on the Nano with PS, 5 speed GB et al and intending tolaunch it in Q1 2011.

Tata Motors plans Nano upgradation - The Economic Times
Quote:
Tata Motors will introduce more features in the Nano to boost sales that sputtered to 509 units in November.

The upgraded Nano, the world’s cheapest car, will come with power steering, which makes driving easier, and a five-speed gear box. The new variant, which will be launched in the first quarter of 2011, will also have more frills such as adjustable seats, said two industry executives close to the company. The five speed gear box or transmission is intended to improve fuel efficiency and make it easier to drive the car at higher speeds.

The company may also expedite plans to launch a diesel variant, the executives said.

The company declined to comment in detail. “It is Tata Motors’ practice to continuously add new features to its cars. As and when any feature is added, we will make necessary announcements,” said a spokesman.

The Nano, powered by a 624-cubic centimetre petrol engine, is currently being sold in three versions. While the base variant has no air-conditioning, the mid and top-end model have more features including air-conditioning. The new vehicle, which will hit the roads early next year, will be 5-10% more expensive than the current top-end variant. The base model of the Nano costs Rs 1.37 lakh (ex-showroom) in Delhi.

But the Nano with enhanced features will still be much cheaper than its closest rival, the basic version of Maruti Suzuki’s Alto which has an on-road price of Rs 2.53 lakh. The on-road price includes taxes such as octroi.

“Tata Motors has to do everything to get back customer confidence,” said Abdul Majeed, auto practice consultant, PwC.

The move to add new features to the small car, which was launched in April 2009 targeting families wanting to upgrade from a two-variant, comes after a rapid deceleration in sales. “Dealers give us feedback which we try and incorporate into the cars on a continuous basis,” said a senior company official.

The new product is being tested at the Nano plant in Sanand, Gujarat. “Test drives for a slightly better version of the small car is on in Sanand. It has stylish interiors and power-steering,” said a person who is familiar with the development.

The Nano’s production has come to a near standstill at Sanand after the vehicle’s sales stagnated following rising prices, lack of cheap finance and some incidents in which the car caught fire. In response, Tata Motors has decided to install additional safety features in at least 70,000 Nanos already sold, in an effort to win back customer confidence.

The company has followed this up with a series of steps last week including an offer of a four-year warranty and a more detailed maintenance contract. “Footfalls have increased and we are sure that sales will pick up with these new initiatives. We have already ordered for Nanos, as our stocks are all cleared,” said a leading Mumbai-based Tata Motor dealer.

Tata Motors has attributed the decline in sales to its inability to reach smaller towns. The company says it is setting up special Nano access points for customers in the hinterlands to experience and test drive the car. Through these initiatives, Tata Motors will cover the entire country by March 2011, officials said. “The additional features will not have an immediate impact on sales,” said an auto consultant with a multinational firm.
Does anybody have more info on this. I was thinking of buying the Nano in March but I guess will wait for the launch.

@Mods: Please merge if a topic already exists.

Last edited by GTO : 20th December 2011 at 16:11. Reason: Adding link to 2012 Nano review
Old 13th December 2010, 12:08   #2
BANNED

re: Nano Upgrade coming soon. *UPDATE* Launched! Details on Page 12

My Nano experiance says keep away from this car even if they launch with whatever mods they are planning, streacth your budget and go for better car.
Old 13th December 2010, 12:21   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

My company is a supplier for tata...nano included.
The power steering version of the vehicle is under test.
Also the sales(or the lack of it) has forced the manufacturer to stop production. the storage areas will be filled with nanos I suppose.

BTW I saw a nano on display in the showroom yesterday.
It had nice black&white seat covers and alloy wheels.
It was looking good but still very few takes for this much expected car....
Old 13th December 2010, 12:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
My Nano experiance says keep away from this car even if they launch with whatever mods they are planning, streacth your budget and go for better car.
Could you please elaborate on your experience.

My wife is keen on the car and so am I. Budget cannot be stretched much as we are buying two cars together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
My company is a supplier for tata...nano included.
The power steering version of the vehicle is under test.
Any idea by when this PS version is to hit the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
BTW I saw a nano on display in the showroom yesterday.
It had nice black&white seat covers and alloy wheels.
It was looking good but still very few takes for this much expected car....
We saw it too at the showroom and liked it. The yellow with alloys did look funky and they giving Rs 7K worth accessories also free.
Old 13th December 2010, 12:41   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please explain more!

Hopefully new initiatives like 1. 4 year standard warranty. 2. power steering and 3. diesel engine will get nano back on the sales chart! I really feel this car deserves much better sales!
Old 13th December 2010, 12:52   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry mate but you are terrifying the owners & prospective buyers of nano. Could you explain more ?? or point a link to your "Nano experiance".
It could be one off case or could be bad dealer experience so generalise statement like this is not welcome for this car which deserves more sale and positive attention.
Old 13th December 2010, 13:00   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Could you please elaborate on your experience.

My wife is keen on the car and so am I. Budget cannot be stretched much as we are buying two cars together.

Any idea by when this PS version is to hit the road?

We saw it too at the showroom and liked it. The yellow with alloys did look funky and they giving Rs 7K worth accessories also free.
Hey MC...I don't think theres much to worry if you go by my 10k+ experience. Although the upgrade (when?!) would definitely be better!

Need a second test-drive/look? Gimme a shout..
Old 13th December 2010, 13:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro View Post

Need a second test-drive/look? Gimme a shout..
Thanks for the offer mate!

Already both me and wifey took the TD on Saturday and were pretty satisfied for it to become our city runner!
Old 13th December 2010, 13:25   #9
BANNED

As i pointed in some other thread, Horrible steering may be power steering will solve this but how Tata is going to make sure that its not going to touch the body under sharp turns?
Noisy cabin, gear ratios are very badly design specially shifting from 3rd to 4th, cable operated painful clutch, battery kept inside the cabin which will sure add some acid fuems inside cabin, very unstable after 70(which can be eliminated if we take this as city car), engine lifts itself while accelrating(can be visible if you follow any Nano), inside plastics sucks can be pressed with two fingers, putting fuel is also pain as the fuel lid is under bonnet, twin cylinder sounds almost like Tata Ace.
It is a good buy if Tata is ready to sort out these issues and offer top end model for 1.5L otherwise Alto or even 800 is any day better choice compared to Nano.
Things which i liked are its tall boy design very easy to get in, powerful AC, attention what you get from Public.
I was keen on its engine to plant in one of my bike, one of my friend is planning to put in Hayabusa engine in his nano but after seeing its responce i dropped the idea.

Last edited by Ajaybiz : 13th December 2010 at 13:28.
Old 13th December 2010, 13:28   #10
BHPian

This is really good as things like power steering do make the car better. Hope this gives the much needed boost in sales.
@MileCruncher
If you are looking for a small city hatch, the nano is definitely a good choice for you. I own a yellow one and i am proud of the way it looks! :-D
Old 13th December 2010, 13:36   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As i pointed in some other thread, Horrible steering may be power steering will solve this but how Tata is going to make sure that its not going to touch the body under sharp turns?
Noisy cabin, gear ratios are very badly design specially shifting from 3rd to 4th, cable operated painful clutch, battery kept inside the cabin which will sure add some acid fuems inside cabin, very unstable after 70(which can be eliminated if we take this as city car), engine lifts itself while accelrating(can be visible if you follow any Nano), inside plastics sucks can be pressed with two fingers, putting fuel is also pain as the fuel lid is under bonnet, twin cylinder sounds almost like Tata Ace.
It is a good buy if Tata is ready to sort out these issues and offer top end model for 1.5L otherwise Alto or even 800 is any day better choice compared to Nano.
Things which i liked are its tall boy design very easy to get in, powerful AC, attention what you get from Public.
I was keen on its engine to plant in one of my bike, one of my friend is planning to put in Hayabusa engine in his nano but after seeing its responce i dropped the idea.

Hayabusa engine in Nano? Stability over 70?

With all due respect- we are talking about the worlds cheapest car here! Compare it for what its worth and comment please.

There are better cars your friend could have bought second-hand, for the price of putting a Hayabusa engine in a Nano!
Old 13th December 2010, 13:45   #12
BHPian

Ajaybiz, So you dont actually own one?
Old 13th December 2010, 13:52   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Somewhere around March 2011 is the targetted timeframe.
I don't know if the power steering will be offered in India or not...the PS vehicle is being tested is the "Nano Europa"...It will be offered in all probabilities IMO.

I have driven our company's Non-PS vehicle extensively and I really feel this upgrade was necessary. I really hope that this improves the sales of the vehicle. It sure deserves a lot more.
Old 13th December 2010, 14:03   #14
BANNED

No i dont but drove for 15 days in my home town.
@ Crazydriver Busa engine was my friends idea not mine and yes car is not stable even with tiny Nano engine, Busa will sure topple this car in first gear. I dont think so it's cheap at 2.1 L on road price what my relative paid compared to other far better options available @ 2.2L onwards.
Others feels that its worth at that price buy it, taste differes from person to person.But if i am investing so much sure i want Tata to eliminate these foolish mistakes and issues in this car.
Old 13th December 2010, 14:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

With all due respect- we are talking about the worlds cheapest car here! Compare it for what its worth and comment please.
+1 to that. I think what we get for 1.79L Ex - Showroom in the Nano LX is awesome.

Quote:
No i dont but drove for 15 days in my home town.
@ Crazydriver Busa engine was my friends idea not mine and yes car is not stable even with tiny Nano engine, Busa will sure topple this car in first gear. I dont think so it's cheap at 2.1 L on road price what my relative paid compared to other far better options available @ 2.2L onwards.
Others feels that its worth at that price buy it, taste differes from person to person.But if i am investing so much sure i want Tata to eliminate these foolish mistakes and issues in this car.
Please tell me what are the options available to you for 1.79L Ex-Showroom ( I'm not considering OTR as taxes vary drastically from 4% to 14% across states) which has 2 power windows, awesome A/C, amazing leg room, head room and space.

And to top it all they are providing 4 yrs/60 K Kms standard warranty. Yes there are some niggles, but mind it even the S Class also has some niggles.

As about your wire operated clutch, M800, Alto have cable operated clutch as well.

So please look at the price and what it offers before making such drastic and sweeping statements. Also please remember we are not technically the TG for that car. To most of us here, the Nano might be a 2nd or 3rd car but to a lot of people this is the one and only car and it satisfies that TG very well.

Hats off to the TML team for accomplishing what they did with the Nano and going for continuous improvements.

Cheers
Closed Thread

Most Viewed