Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2010, 10:04   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Nano Upgrade coming soon. *UPDATE* Launched! Details on Page 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post

@Jyobeb: Please drive one and see. Its not bad at all in its present config.
I have actually, quite a bit. There is too much brake grab and in the wet its very un-predictable. Disc brakes should have been standard.
Old 14th December 2010, 10:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
As i pointed in some other thread, Horrible steering may be power steering will solve this but how Tata is going to make sure that its not going to touch the body under sharp turns?
Do point us towards that thread. On a personal note, I have test driven the Nano and didn't encounter anything like you mention. The steering was stiff when the car was stationary -no surprises there - but lightened up once on the move and was surprisingly easy to drive. While power steering is welcome, your contention that the underbody touches the road on sharp turns is ludicrous.
Quote:
Noisy cabin, gear ratios are very badly design specially shifting from 3rd to 4th, cable operated painful clutch, battery kept inside the cabin which will sure add some acid fuems inside cabin, very unstable after 70(which can be eliminated if we take this as city car), engine lifts itself while accelrating(can be visible if you follow any Nano), inside plastics sucks can be pressed with two fingers, putting fuel is also pain as the fuel lid is under bonnet, twin cylinder sounds almost like Tata Ace.
I too felt that the clutch could have been better, but it didn't feel painful. The gear ratios are optimized for fuel efficiency, are pretty much on the money for city driving. It felt as sprightly as the Alto(with the 800cc engine) till 65km/h (the max. I'd attained was a speedo indicated 80) and surprisingly felt faster than the Alto with the A/C on. Neither is the engine too loud on the inside (something that is quite easily verified during a first test drive, as Milecruncher has already done) nor are the plastics as bad as you report. Interior fit is good. This was a year back; then the rubber parts (includes beading) felt cheap, so did the seat fabric and the rear parcel tray, but even as spares, they are dirt cheap.
Kindly share how exactly is "engine lifting" at the back an issue?
Quote:
It is a good buy if Tata is ready to sort out these issues and offer top end model for 1.5L otherwise Alto or even 800 is any day better choice compared to Nano.
As long as we are daydreaming, perhaps Tata would launch a version with leather interiors, alloy wheels and a supercharger at the same price. While the debate whether one should go for a second hand Alto or a new Nano is quite interesting, as a new buy, the Nano trumps it.

@Milecruncher - In my opinion, if you can wait till May (or perhaps we'll get more information before that) then I'd recommend waiting. But I have a hunch that the Nano project doesn't have the margins to offer more without pricing it higher, so if the list of potential upgrades aren't deal-breakers for you, then the Nano even in it's current avatar makes for a very compelling case. I think the 4-year warranty is the icing on the cake.

Last edited by Amartya : 14th December 2010 at 10:12.
Old 14th December 2010, 11:07   #33
Senior - BHPian

This has not been said before, but one thing that wifey and me did dislike was the absence of a glove compartment. There are a lot of cubby holes, map pockets but absence of glove compartment to keep documents et al is really irritating.

@Amartya: Looks like my purchase will get pushed back to March courtesy M&M
Old 14th December 2010, 11:11   #34
Senior - BHPian

^ Very nicely put there, Amartya.

I still don't understand the fact that people compare it to the M800 (which is priced 60k higher), now compare it with the Alto (which is priced at 1L higher or more). People look aside when Toyota glaringly omits disc brakes on the Fortuner costing 20 times more, but crib when it comes to a 1.5L Nano.

Now asking whether the engine will last 150K is anyone's guess. Unless you drive it for 150k, how will you know? M800 has been here for doggone years and the quality has always been steadily going downhill. I still own a 1991 model M800.

I have had 4 vehicles from the Tata stable complete over 140K with me and so I have no reason to believe that this will not. I have also had 4 vehicles from Maruti, so that doesn't make me a fanboy either way.

I reiterate my point "Tata has done in 10 years what Maruti hasn't in 20".
Old 14th December 2010, 11:29   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
This has not been said before, but one thing that wifey and me did dislike was the absence of a glove compartment. There are a lot of cubby holes, map pockets but absence of glove compartment to keep documents et al is really irritating.

@Amartya: Looks like my purchase will get pushed back to March courtesy M&M
The missing glove box is indeed quite irritating. I had half expected a accessory maker to come out with a curvy lockable box (quite similar to the custom speaker mounts as seen on the JBL modded Nano). As I see it, there are two options:

a. A box mounted in front on the cup holders, below the centre console. As far as I can remember, it felt like it might be a good place for a DIY attempt at a box (I have seen such contraptions in an 800 as well as an Omni).

b. The second option is to try and see if an armrest can be fitted, while it won't be very spacious, it can serve a dual purpose.

Since the purchase is pushed back till March, I think you'll hear more about the upcoming upgrades by then. That would also enable you to make a more informed decision.

Last edited by Amartya : 14th December 2010 at 11:34.
Old 14th December 2010, 19:08   #36
BHPian

New features are very much welcome, however its very difficult to stop Mass Audience to compare it with other cars (M800, Alto etc). They still don't see that Nano is a class in itself (ofcourse smaller and cheaper).

Just put a 1L MJD in it with heavy duty suspension (for its size) and see the sales - I am sure this alone can change things.
Old 14th December 2010, 20:37   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,
Why is a PS on a Nano so much of a big deal. Light, narrow tyres, rear weight bias. Should not need a PS. Money better spent elsewhere.

Disclaimer:- Discussion is purely theoretical and technical. Steering (baaad pun) clear of religous views, dogma etc.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 22nd May 2011, 21:49   #38

Hello All

Its been a while since the last post.
Any news on the PS version of Nano?
Is it due any time soon?
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:26   #39
Senior - BHPian

It was in the news recently, TATA will be launching a special edition of the NANO, something on the lines of the INIDCA VISTA special edition offered with golden strips instead of chrome and black roof
Old 27th May 2011, 01:51   #40
Senior - BHPian

@Anxx

I am sure you have not drive a NANO yet! Nano with PS will be a overkill for such an intelligent product.

With 135 R 12 tyres why would any1 require PS?

Company can think of introducing a LX+ version since LX is doing most of volumes for Nano

Things which i would like in LX+

1) Seats with better cusions
2) Left side ORVM
3) Lockable Dash storage
4) Fully reclining seats
5) Central arm rest between front seats and rear seats.
6) Rear opening Hatch
7) Discs up front
8) Company fitted reverse guiding system since reversing is a issue.

People will pay a premium of 15-20K more if these are offered IMO.
Old 27th May 2011, 12:58   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
@Anxx

I am sure you have not drive a NANO yet! Nano with PS will be a overkill for such an intelligent product.

With 135 R 12 tyres why would any1 require PS?
Thanks a lot Silverado
Open question for everyone,
Is the nano easy to drive for women drivers? Does the absence of a PS making driving difficult? Or do the 135 R 12 tyres completely make up for it?

Would it be better to actually go TEST-DRIVE the thing to see if PS really required?

Suggestions please.
Old 27th May 2011, 19:09   #42
Senior - BHPian

Yes of course!!! TEST Drive will make things crystal clear and you wont have to rely on any other opinion. Go for it.

And 135 R 12 are really easy even for women drivers, my wife find it easy to steer than M800.

Its when you see the car in Flesh and test drive it with AC on, lot of your negative thoughts / Assumptions regarding the vehicle will go away.

And it has coil spring suspension all round ( Just like M800 ) and ride is better than M800 since suspension travel is more in Nano and all tyres are TUBELESS, plus the rear tyre is 155 R 12 one size better than M800
silverado is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 20:01   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxx View Post
Open question for everyone,
Is the nano easy to drive for women drivers? Does the absence of a PS making driving difficult? Or do the 135 R 12 tyres completely make up for it?
Absence of power steering for a light hatch cannot make much of a difference for regular city driving. However, trying to park the car in a tight slot could need some effort. But the 135/R12, IMO, should minimize the additional effort needed.

Getting a first hand feel of the steering in city conditions, is recommended any day.
Old 27th May 2011, 20:23   #44
Senior - BHPian

The Nano is the easiest vehicle i have ever driven. I wonder why people want a Ps(power steering). Honestly, Ive had 4 women drive the Nano(one of em was 57) and all felt it was super easy to steer. Now none of these women know what a Ps is.
So all you guys who want a Ps in a Nano.. you better start gymming and grow some muscles instead

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 27th May 2011 at 20:24.
Old 27th May 2011, 21:21   #45
BHPian

Everyone has right to their opinion and I respect others. I never felt steering to be hard but my wife rejected nano due to it after a test drive and bought Estilo. Even my father rejected Nano on this reason as he felt steering to be hard then his other car PS cars.
So I cannot accept that Nano does not need power steering, In my opinion Nano needs a power steering and a CVT to make it ultimate city dweller
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks