Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2010, 17:08   #1
BHPian

Are more people preferring 4x2s these days?

I have been observing a lot of people buying 4x2 cars these days rather than 4x4s.

Earlier, for an SUV most people wanted to buy 4x4 to have the go-anywhere option but is cost playing that much of a role that people choose a 4x2 these days?

I for one would choose a 4x4 anyday just for the pure options it opens up to me, even though i dont really need it bcos i drive on good roads. What do you all feel? What would be the deciding factor for you to pick up one of these options?

4x2 or 4x4 people? Lets hear it
Old 14th December 2010, 17:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Are more people preferring 4x2s these days?

Most of the people buy SUVs plainly to show off and not to do hardcore off roading. No only price, but the added weight of the 4WD system is also considered.
Old 14th December 2010, 17:25   #3
Senior - BHPian

For a person buying an SUV and who does not take the vehicle off road or over broken roads regularly, the price difference between the 4x2 and 4x4 is the main consideration, as the person can get all the features and comforts in the 4x2 version of the same vehicle, why plonk in an additional lakh of rupees for just another feature?
Old 14th December 2010, 17:28   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Most of the people buy SUVs plainly to show off and not to do hardcore off roading. No only price, but the added weight of the 4WD system is also considered.
+1 to that.Most of our crowd want to own an SUV not for the actual purpose.Some of the reasons are trivial but at the end of the day,its their money and their choice.
Old 14th December 2010, 17:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Most SUV's (including 4x4's) spend most of their life on tarmac roads, if you are not going to attend Off-roading events or do not stay/ have a need for travelling onto broken or non-existent roads, you probably dont need it and can save some of your cost.
Old 14th December 2010, 17:34   #6
BHPian

Many consumers are purchasing an SUV for road presence and probably to drive over broken tarmac and not serious off-roading. For them, the 4X2 should suffice and 4X4 is not necessary.

I would prefer a 4X4, but if my budget is seriously constrained while considering an SUV, I would not mind going in for the 4X2 either.
Old 14th December 2010, 17:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

I agree, SUV's arent bought for offroading in India and therefore the 2 wheel drive makes sense. Its also more full efficient isnt it ?? As in if i compare an All Wheel Drive to a 2 wheel drive. I understand that 4WDs have the option to switch of the 4wd but some of them like the Audis are purely AWD's.
Old 14th December 2010, 18:00   #8
DRC
BHPian

I may sound funny, but I would prefer a 4x4 SX4 than an SUV.
It will meet most of the requiremets. Can be fast on highways, decent GC to tackle bad roads. Maruti dependability. what more do you need as a commuter in bad roads? With 4x4 you can wrigle out of sticky situation in non existant roads whcih turn into paddy fields during rains.
If you want to shoo away the ricks and scooters its a different question.
Well, at the present price though.

Last edited by DRC : 14th December 2010 at 18:01.
Old 14th December 2010, 19:36   #9
BHPian

I would say it is the price that is holding off people from going for a 4x4. Spending 100K extra for feature which you seldom use may not make sense to most people.

In last 3 years, I had to use 4x4 only during my Leh trip. That too was not necessary, but just to avoid burning of clutch I engaged 4L. Now even I'm wondering why I went for a 4x4; instead I could have used that amount to get the model with ABS and Airbag.
Old 14th December 2010, 20:25   #10
BHPian

Ideally in India 4X4 is not required at all. It's only for Passion and serious Offroading as a sports. For any other use, we see all transport vehicles even without 4X4 also works fine. Yes, you may need some external help in case of some extreme situations. But in such cases only "Thank you" works fine.
Old 14th December 2010, 20:26   #11
Senior - BHPian

If I'm going to accept all the compromises of a SUV, I'd definitely want 4x4. (All my Jeeps were/ are 4x4). Else for the price of the 4x2, I'd get a sedan.

But most people go for a 4x2 because
A) cheaper
B) better FE (this is 'average kya hai' India)
C) better resale value (see B)
D) better performance, NVH
D) salesmen push 4x2. 4x4s are normally built to special order. Dealers don't stock those.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 14th December 2010 at 20:28.
Old 14th December 2010, 21:21   #12
BHPian

Its more of a macho image for people than the real practical usage of an SUV.

An acquaintance bought a top end Scorpio couple of years back and when I asked him why he dint go for the 4*4 his answer was "the engine is soo powerful that 4*4 is not required for this"

Even when I enquired about the 4*4 Safari last year the Sales guy was like "Sir why 4*4" and he gave me a long list of disadvantages. I told him it was a personal choice so please just tell me how much it is.
Old 14th December 2010, 23:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

As several people have put it here, it is more to do with affordability and practicality. Why pay for 4X4, when u only use it in the City. They just want to move up to an SUV and command a nice road presence.
Old 15th December 2010, 00:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

So, how long before India catches up with the whole cross-over trend? Because a cross-over is nothing but a highly practical SUV-ish 4X2 family transporter in a stylish package
Old 15th December 2010, 09:29   #15
BHPian

Yes, i agree that it makes sense for a 4x2 considering cost and Sutripta's points. But somehow it seems right to say "my (insert SUV name here) is a 4x4"

I wonder what the actual sales figures say though. does anyone have any comparisons between 4x2 and 4x4 sales?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks