Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2010, 14:15   #16
BHPian

Hurry up TML. Launch the Venture

I believe it'll just be a matter of time before the 1.3 multijet finds its way into the engine bay of the EECO. Also if the wuling offering comes with a diesel heart, it can take away the first mover advantage of the Tata Venture. Also not to be forgotten is the 'in the works' Maxximo people carrier.
Old 17th December 2010, 15:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: SPYSHOTS of new GM Wagon ( Maruti Eeco Rival ).

On the bonnet of the camouflaged vehicle there seems to be something that looks like a bonnet scoop ?

Wonder what it is.
Old 17th December 2010, 16:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

At first glance did not recognize that it was a different vehicle and thought that it was Ecco . I wonder if Ecco really has any market share as such. Do not see much Eco's on the road. I guess GM is making one more addition for the taxi segment after Tavera.

Cheers,
Amit
Old 17th December 2010, 17:09   #19
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Great find guys.

General Motors seem to be quite serious in their "India Strategy". The car will be a good hit with the Taxi segment if they could plonk a diesel or introduce a CNG Version.

I always thought that test mules are run with "Temp" registrations. Strangely, this one and the new swift seem to have permanent registration numbers.
Old 17th December 2010, 18:31   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
On the bonnet of the camouflaged vehicle there seems to be something that looks like a bonnet scoop ?

Wonder what it is.
well noticed I was about to say that, it could only mean that there is a air intake normally associated with a diesel engine.
Old 17th December 2010, 18:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

Looks similar to Eeco!! Diesel will make more sense. IMO Chevy won't have any issues tapping transport market as they are doing good with age old Tavera. Pricing will be crucial.

Last edited by HammerHead : 17th December 2010 at 18:53.
Old 18th December 2010, 08:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I wonder if Ecco really has any market share as such. Do not see much Eco's on the road.
The Maruti Eeco has November sales figures of over 6000 units (refer the link below) :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-figures.html

Just do a TBHP search on monthly sales figures on the 1st of every month, to see the complete sales statistics being given to us by GTO so meticulously

Going by the Wuling Hongtu specs, the proposed GM Wagon should have a width of 1570mm, which will be almost 4 inches wider than the Eeco. That sounds good.
Old 18th December 2010, 08:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post

Wonder what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
well noticed I was about to say that, it could only mean that there is a air intake normally associated with a diesel engine.
I don't think so. It looks like just the normal padding of the cloth.
Old 18th December 2010, 08:47   #24
Senior - BHPian

So its a chinese mpv for sure. Any one knows how reliable these vehicles really are. What about the power. Will it have some chinese engine or one of the UVA 1.2 engine. Diesel looks unlikely as GM still does not have a small diesel engine to do duty on its hatches so I really cant imagine that they will source it from somewhere for this mpv.
Old 18th December 2010, 09:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
At first glance did not recognize that it was a different vehicle and thought that it was Ecco . I wonder if Ecco really has any market share as such. Do not see much Eco's on the road. I guess GM is making one more addition for the taxi segment after Tavera.

Cheers,
Amit
they are a dime-a-dozen in S. India esp Kerala.
Old 18th December 2010, 18:23   #26
Senior - BHPian

1) I am now against this MPV after searching a bit on net. Its basically Chinese product and not the world class product like Beat. IIRC, Eeco was sold as every landy in Japan also. I am not sure if this MPV is/was sold in Japan.

2) Personally I believe that this is a pretty cheap move on GM's part that they are bringing in Chinese goods. I will never trust a Chinese product. This is called shortcut method. When SAIC ( IIRC, I have wrote that corrects ) took a stake in India's GM operations, I was against the move.

Even the sail is based on Corsa sold in India some years ago. Again a shortcut. I think Eeco will have an advantage due to CNG option now available. Also the Xylo and Tavera are doing quite well in taxi segment, so space for this MPV will be there is they place it in Rs. 5 lakh bracket. But again if diesel is made available, a minor overlap will be there with Beat.

Quote:
At first glance did not recognize that it was a different vehicle and thought that it was Ecco . I wonder if Ecco really has any market share as such.
Suzuki had initial target of 40,000 units per year. Eeco has been doing reasonably well in Indian market. As somebody pointed out earlier, Eeco sold 6K units in Nov. Given the target, around 3334 units per month would be enough, but Eeco is doing reasonably well.
Old 18th December 2010, 18:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Great scoop there. Looks like MUL has some competition in this segment afterall. Any news on the pricing ?
Old 18th December 2010, 21:19   #28
BHPian

Great scoop, man. Hope you are doing well now after the accident.
The MPV is downright ugly. Only strategic pricing can promise gains for GM here.
Old 19th December 2010, 02:09   #29
BHPian

This could also turn into a Qualis replacement for tourist and taxi drivers due to the low price and spacious interiors (looks more spacious than the eeco), provided the 3yrs plus warranty and decent diesel engine are put together.
Old 19th December 2010, 21:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

I never was a fan of these MPVs, so dont want to comment on the car. Strange as to why there want to focus on this fairly dormant segment

It also does not seem to match the current theme of chevy cars being launched and not to mention the poor looking interiors. It will do well if priced between 3-4 lacs

Most Viewed