Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2010, 08:56   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: SPYSHOTS of new GM Wagon ( Maruti Eeco Rival ).

^^ Since MPVs do not have the luxury of aesthetically flowing down lines as in sedans (as MPVs do away with the boot for accomodating more people), many of them end up looking quite boxy.

Having said that, the option is to design an MPV to look like an an overgrown hatch, within possible aesthetics, like what Maruti is trying to do with its R3 MPV.
Old 20th December 2010, 12:45   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
These images are of new GM Wagon which is likely to rival Eeco as per ACI. I am not sure of whether its going to fight Eeco or get posted one notch above eeco in the market.

The wagon looks tall in size and one size shorter than an Innova, but that is just my guess. Note the captain's seat behind the front row. I hope this wagon comes out as a serious rival to eeco which is doing good enough in the market. Pricing this wagon with a good diesel at around 5-6 lakhs can hit some hatchbacks IMO. I think GM has experienced overlap in the small car segment well enough as Spark which used to sell around 4K units is now sharing its sales share with Beat. So may be this Wagon will be placed just a bit higher than Beat.

Please note that these images were emailed to me by vadodara team-bhp member "Digitonsam". The images were posted to me on Dec 12, but due to my injury as a result of an accident, I was not able to post them.

@mods : I have tried my best to water mark appropriately. If at all the mod team finds any problem, do tell me, I will email the mod team the images which are not watermarked.
Nice Pics aaggoswami. Thanks for posting them. Is it a 4 seater or 7 seater. I hope its 7 seater with Captain seats in the mid.

BTW, How do you feel now? Sorry to hear about the accident. (Bike or Car?). Take care, and wish you a speedy recovery.
Old 20th December 2010, 12:52   #33
BHPian

Re: Chinese invasion?

How does it matter as long as the cars are good. They have their mergers and tie-ups which they are using to offer a diverse portfolio. Tata and Mahindra will get there in the next 20 years and do the same. They are giving what Indians can buy. We can't buy what Japanese do. How many Prius did we buy? In Japan it is one of the top selling cars. As I said, it doesn't matter where the cars are from as long as they are good. The whole Chevy range in India is super competent and offers a good alternative to the (now) quality challenged Maruti at cheaper costs. It is a win win situation for us buyers in my opinion instead of we being judgmental about GM.

Last edited by GTO : 20th December 2010 at 17:27. Reason: Removing quoted post which is on its way to deletion
Old 20th December 2010, 14:53   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I wonder if Ecco really has any market share as such. Do not see much Eco's on the road.
Going by the "I see them on the roads" meter is probably a bad idea. The Eeco is a successful MPV (refer to the monthly sales threads for more info)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I always thought that test mules are run with "Temp" registrations. Strangely, this one and the new swift seem to have permanent registration numbers.
Not always. Most of the Mahindra on-test vehicles I see in MH wear permanent registrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
well noticed I was about to say that, it could only mean that there is a air intake normally associated with a diesel engine.
Or perhaps, an air-feeder pipe to the intercooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
So its a chinese mpv for sure. Any one knows how reliable these vehicles really are.
True. Chinese-designed vehicles have yet to prove themselves in the global marketplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Strange as to why there want to focus on this fairly dormant segment
Chevy's counting on growth from segments it isn't present in. Plus, it would have to consider what vehicles SAIC (the Chinese company that owns 50% of GM India) has within its portfolio.
Old 20th December 2010, 16:39   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) When SAIC ( IIRC, I have wrote that corrects ) took a stake in India's GM operations, I was against the move.
Hey by the feel of the sentence i could deduce you are a GM employee. Is GM so good that it hears any opposition on any move by its employees.

Atleast I thought these are strategic decisions in corporates where employees never play any role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
True. Chinese-designed vehicles have yet to prove themselves in the global marketplace.
Well going by the success of China manufactured products across the globe, atleast i wont be amused. Also just think over the Success of Micromax mobiles against Nokias and Motorolas(almost Extinct) in india, which are nothing but china designed mobile.

I wouldn't want to bet against a GM Developed products.

My understanding on SAIC says, they are just JV partners even in china and they dont design any of their products. Products are developed by their partners only, such as VW or GM.

Last edited by anu21v : 20th December 2010 at 16:52.
Old 20th December 2010, 17:33   #36
BHPian

Sorry Dual postings.
Old 20th December 2010, 20:09   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Also just think over the Success of Micromax mobiles against Nokias and Motorolas(almost Extinct) in india, which are nothing but china designed mobile.
. I'm not sure what exactly you are trying to suggest by above example. My basic understanding is designing a 'car' needs much more then designing any electronic gadget.

Forget about cars do you see buying or have yourself bought any 'Chinese designed' product costing more then say 15-20K?

Chinese are yet to prove their vehicle designing capabilities outside Chine!!
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:46   #38
BHPian

Good spy shots there. So we can expect a competition for EECO from the GM stable.
Understand that this is an preproduction vehicle but do not see a reason for keeping the radio antennae in the left side A pillar being a right hand drive. The chinese car picture too shows the same or am I missing something..
Old 22nd December 2010, 15:37   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Going by the "I see them on the roads" meter is probably a bad idea. The Eeco is a successful MPV (refer to the monthly sales threads for more info)

My apologies. GTO sir you are right 'see them on road' is not the right meter. I guess i jumped the gun.

Cheers,
Amit

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 22nd December 2010 at 18:18. Reason: Fixed the quote tags.
Old 22nd December 2010, 17:26   #40
BHPian

Good scoop mate. This one is going to be a serious competitor to Eeco. I am a fan of MPVs and it looks quite trendy. The Eeco is not wide enough which makes it look a bit boxy. And as someone said here, if this new one is wider than Eeco, then it is going to be a sure hit.
GM - please come up with a good diesel option for this.
Old 25th June 2011, 09:54   #41
Senior - BHPian

Welcome, you ugly 7-seaters!

I think there is sufficient market here for these. India = VFM
&& 7-seater at 5-seater + 1Lakh price = tremendous value.
Old 25th June 2011, 11:17   #42
Senior - BHPian

Chinese all the way....

Premier Rio,
Force Motor's SUV/ Foday Explorer
Peugeot 408 (made in china, assembled in india)
...and now GM Wagon

the GM Wagon seems just a people mover without gadgets will be a good for taxi segments.

invasion of the chinese.
Old 25th June 2011, 11:51   #43
BHPian

Rediff has reported this as the GM muv/suv to be launched this year, if that is true then this is not ugly for sure.

Here is the article from rediff

Three new SUVs would also be launched, with one of these catering to the lower end of the price spectrum.
The joint venture of General Motors and SAIC will look to launch a compact SUV in the last quarter of the year, in what could be one of the first products from the JV.

Here is the link

http://www.rediff.com/business/slide...a/20110624.htm

Last edited by ranc : 25th June 2011 at 12:21.
Old 29th September 2011, 23:49   #44
BHPian

Chevrolet N200 Van, Maruti Eeco Killer Coming Next Year

The Chevrolet N200 is expected to be in showrooms by next year and will be showcased at the Auto Expo in January 2012.

The test mules of this Van have been spotted over time doing test rounds in Gujarat. Named as N200 in the international market this van will be a sophisticated competitor to the Maruti Eeco. It comes with a 1.2-liter petrol engine abroad but it goes without saying that Chevrolet will have to launch it with a diesel engine in India. The petrol should be sold with a company fitted CNG kit to attract the taxi market. Space and flexibility is one USP of the N200 but there is also another good news as the N200 is less than 4-meters which translates into lower excise duties.

From aaggoswami's scoop pics, it seems they have sorted out the yukky last row glass!.

Source

Attached Thumbnails
SPYSHOTS of new GM Wagon ( Maruti Eeco Rival ).-n200front1.jpg  

SPYSHOTS of new GM Wagon ( Maruti Eeco Rival ).-n200side1.jpg  

Old 22nd November 2011, 19:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Leaf springs at the rear ? Back to Chevy Tavera days

The MUL's R3 (Ertiga) looks wider, for sure. However, the Chevrolet MPV may have a bit more legroom for the 3rd row, considering the ostensibly longer cabin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks